FXpansion releases Cypher2

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
machinesworking
KVRAF
1582 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:31 pm

DavidCarlyon wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:59 pm
How is everyone getitng on with this synth? Had my eye on it for a while.
I already have a ton of synths (actually thinned it down a bit to just the best of the best though i think this one is exceptional from what i have heard.
Looks like i am narrowly going to miss the sale...was hoping to pick up both Cypher and Strobe.
I am wondering how 'worth it' it is going to be for me to shell out full price (or try and find used) just after the sale ends.

These two seem like a nice blend of analog vibe and super modern features. I like that kind of synth (though i have a number of them already!)
It's worth it. I'm a synth whore, and it's up there in the top five for me now. It's a hyper modern synth that's easily capable of giving passable analog sounds, the MPE programming in it is dead easy. I put it up there with the best for sure. The fact that Fxpansion bothered to allow modulation of the FX parameters was a huge plus to me.

el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
11462 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: FXpansion releases Cypher2

Post Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:45 am

This might be down to noob user-error, but is there really no way to save the state of the various performance controls along with presets? This goes for Strobe2 and Equator, also. There are so many new sounds to be discovered within patches, via the x/y and the sliders, that it needs some way to recall those settings.

Like I said, I might have missed it :scared:

DavidCarlyon
KVRist
384 posts since 17 Mar, 2018

Post Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:54 am

machinesworking wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:31 pm
DavidCarlyon wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:59 pm
How is everyone getitng on with this synth? Had my eye on it for a while.
I already have a ton of synths (actually thinned it down a bit to just the best of the best though i think this one is exceptional from what i have heard.
Looks like i am narrowly going to miss the sale...was hoping to pick up both Cypher and Strobe.
I am wondering how 'worth it' it is going to be for me to shell out full price (or try and find used) just after the sale ends.

These two seem like a nice blend of analog vibe and super modern features. I like that kind of synth (though i have a number of them already!)
It's worth it. I'm a synth whore, and it's up there in the top five for me now. It's a hyper modern synth that's easily capable of giving passable analog sounds, the MPE programming in it is dead easy. I put it up there with the best for sure. The fact that Fxpansion bothered to allow modulation of the FX parameters was a huge plus to me.

Do you own strobe2 also? Am currently trying to sell a couple of bits so i can grab them both before the sale ends. Also do they both have oversampling? I am always amazed at how many otherwise great synths just leave this out. Quality is of huge importance to me.

El Bura
KVRer
14 posts since 26 Oct, 2017

Post Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:42 am

Hey all, I’ve just purchased Cypher and all seems to be well except for one thing. If I click or double click on a parameter (for example the cutoff) the pointer will jump to another part of the screen. It also seems to happen if I alter the modulation of a parameter on the outer ring, I’ll drag the pointer up or down then when I release it the pointer will be in the bottom left of the display. It’s making it massively frustrating to navigate quickly around the UI. It sounds amazing but it’s turning out to be a pig to use.
I’m running the latest Mac Mojave OS, this issue is happening on both Ableton and Logic Pro (I’m running the latest versions of both applications).

Has anyone else seen or had this issue? Appreciate any help here.

Stefken
KVRian
981 posts since 9 Nov, 2016

Post Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:59 am

El Bura wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:42 am
Hey all, I’ve just purchased Cypher and all seems to be well except for one thing. If I click or double click on a parameter (for example the cutoff) the pointer will jump to another part of the screen. It also seems to happen if I alter the modulation of a parameter on the outer ring, I’ll drag the pointer up or down then when I release it the pointer will be in the bottom left of the display. It’s making it massively frustrating to navigate quickly around the UI. It sounds amazing but it’s turning out to be a pig to use.
I’m running the latest Mac Mojave OS, this issue is happening on both Ableton and Logic Pro (I’m running the latest versions of both applications).

I cannot replicate this (Windows 7, 64 bit).
The only times I had a mouse pointer jumping around (unrrelated to Cypher2), it was a problem with the mouse itself. Cleaning it resolved the issue.

El Bura
KVRer
14 posts since 26 Oct, 2017

Post Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:18 am

Stefken wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:59 am
El Bura wrote:

The only times I had a mouse pointer jumping around (unrrelated to Cypher2), it was a problem with the mouse itself. Cleaning it resolved the issue.
Thanks for the swift reply Stefken, I did think it was the mouse but its not happening on any other programme or plugin. I've tried it with the integrated MacBook track-pad and a bluetooth mouse but the same think keeps on happening.

Stefken
KVRian
981 posts since 9 Nov, 2016

Post Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:03 am

El Bura wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:18 am
Stefken wrote:
El Bura wrote:

Thanks for the swift reply Stefken, I did think it was the mouse but its not happening on any other programme or plugin. I've tried it with the integrated MacBook track-pad and a bluetooth mouse but the same think keeps on happening.
Just contact support. They 'll be glad to help.
This is surely not supposed to happen so I guess they will put the foot on the gas in resolving this.

bill45
KVRAF
2357 posts since 15 Jun, 2006

Post Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:59 am

Stefken wrote:
El Bura wrote:

Glad it works in Windows 7.I did not think it did.I will try the demo.

Tokkzikk
KVRer
1 posts since 9 Mar, 2019

Post Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:35 am

Angus_FX wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:37 am
Is unified TransMod between Cypher 2 and Strobe 2 planning?
That would be great.
Do you mean the UI/UX conventions or something else?

The plan is for there to be a second mid-life upgrade to Strobe2 (v2.3 was the first) bringing over some of the new UI elements from Cypher2. It'll stay at 16 TransMod slots (to Cypher2's 24) and won't get the beefed-up arpeggiator / sequencer, but there's a lot of other things that would make sense to bring across. I can't give you any timeline for that, but it's very much the plan. Tidying up any loose ends with Cypher2 is higher priority though.
Strobe2 needs more TransMod slots especially for 5D sound designs.
I also have Cypher2 which has 24 slots, but why limiting Strobe2 and leaving us with only 11 TransMod slots when we use 5D?
Both synths are awesome btw!

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
6491 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:49 am

Every time I try Cypher I get very confused, especially trying to figure out 5D sounds. I don't like the interface, I often can't tell what text is a button/tab and what isn't.

Also, how do you set it to duophonic mode? I want to test whether duophonic mode with mpe allows you to pitch bend the two oscs separately but still have it function like classic duophonic where pressing one key plays both oscs and playing a second note split the oscs to the two notes...
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

EvilDragon
KVRAF
17849 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:35 am

Angus, how much longer till Cypher and Strobe update that fixes the overly long plugin scan times? It's killing me whenever a scan is required (which is a thing with Kore 2 where every so often you need to purge the plugin cache and rescan all plugins in order to remove duplicate entries, for example).

vertibration
KVRist
66 posts since 11 Nov, 2010 from ny

Post Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:51 pm

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:49 am
Every time I try Cypher I get very confused, especially trying to figure out 5D sounds. I don't like the interface, I often can't tell what text is a button/tab and what isn't.

Also, how do you set it to duophonic mode? I want to test whether duophonic mode with mpe allows you to pitch bend the two oscs separately but still have it function like classic duophonic where pressing one key plays both oscs and playing a second note split the oscs to the two notes...
Agreed, the UI is pretty abysmal. The mod matrix is extremely difficult to wrap your head around, and it the type of synth that gets you frustrated that you would just rather open a different one that makes more sense

machinesworking
KVRAF
1582 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:03 pm

vertibration wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:51 pm

Agreed, the UI is pretty abysmal. The mod matrix is extremely difficult to wrap your head around, and it the type of synth that gets you frustrated that you would just rather open a different one that makes more sense
What synth do you own that's this complex has a simpler setup?

I don't know of any, that's why I'm asking. Pigments maybe, but comparably complex synths like Zebra, Diversion etc. are just as, if not more difficult to figure out.

Honestly I don't really get the problem? you select a knob or slider and it's corresponding modulators light up in the upper panel, conversely you select a modulator and then the knob or slider you want to modulate, and viola! Anyone whose used Massive would get it right away.

Sinisterbr
KVRist
30 posts since 11 Mar, 2010

Post Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:44 am

vertibration wrote:

Agreed. That's exactly what I do.

himalaya
KVRAF
5009 posts since 23 Mar, 2006 from pendeLondonmonium

Post Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:33 am

vertibration wrote:
The mod matrix is extremely difficult to wrap your head around,
What exactly do you find difficult?
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design