What is it about Sylenth1 ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote: Dune and Hive sound cold? Just asking, not sure I know which synth you mean...
IMO, yes. I'm sure one of the usual suspects will give me a :smack: again for that though, and that's ok. :) Seems like "warm" and "cold" is highly subjective. At least Dune 2 isn't the coldest synth i ever used though. Still, other stuff sounds warmer to me. Hive on the other hand... seems pretty cold. Like Bazille.
Not sure whether or not they sound cold, but I don't like them, either...
Some analog hardware synths also sounded cold in my view. Not every synth sounded like an Oberheim...

low_low wrote:Sylenth1 is mentioned everywhere, whenever synths come up, what is it about this synth that makes it so highly recommended, it's in like every synth thread on KVR.
Sound

fluffy_little_something wrote:
chk071 wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote: Dune and Hive sound cold? Just asking, not sure I know which synth you mean...
IMO, yes. I'm sure one of the usual suspects will give me a :smack: again for that though, and that's ok. :) Seems like "warm" and "cold" is highly subjective. At least Dune 2 isn't the coldest synth i ever used though. Still, other stuff sounds warmer to me. Hive on the other hand... seems pretty cold. Like Bazille.
Not sure whether or not they sound cold, but I don't like them, either...
Some analog hardware synths also sounded cold in my view. Not every synth sounded like an Oberheim...
True. Jupiter-8 sounds very cold to me, for example.

Hard to say, I only know it from YT videos :hihi:

Then again, I have even heard warm (according to my idea of it) pads from the DX7 :hihi:

For me, it's mostly that I'm very familiar with the workflow and also how the synth works and sounds under different conditions. I bought it shortly after it came out, I'm guessing 10+ years ago? That's a lot of time to familiarize yourself with a synth. Lots of newer synths sound better and have way, way more features, but Sylenth1 makes it very easy and quick to get the bread and butter sounds of a new track or idea going.

Also, since so many producers have used it over the years, it has become a "signature sound" in a way. For better or worse...

fluffy_little_something wrote:Hard to say, I only know it from YT videos :hihi:
I heard one from an acquaintaince, years ago. YT videos also give quite a good impression though.

Tek's Law Part 2: In an thread about Synths the usual suspects will use undefinable terms like "Warm" and Cold" simply in an attempt to mask the fact that they haven't got a single clue......... :lol:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:Tek's Law Part 2: In an thread about Synths the usual suspects will use undefinable terms like "Warm" and Cold" simply in an attempt to mask the fact that they haven't got a single clue......... :lol:
Fluffy's Law Part 1: In every thread about synths, Tek will come along and tell everyone else they are wrong unless they agree with him :roll:

Teksonik wrote:Tek's Law Part 2: In an thread about Synths the usual suspects will use undefinable terms like "Warm" and Cold" simply in an attempt to mask the fact that they haven't got a single clue......... :lol:
Well... if you know any better terminology, i'd be glad to hear it.

chk071 wrote:
rounded or edgy.

Sylenth is golden
Last edited by el-bo (formerly ebow) on Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vurt wrote:
chk071 wrote:
rounded or edgy.
:)

chk071 wrote:
vurt wrote:
chk071 wrote:
rounded or edgy.
:)
im with you, in general chat warm and cold are fine to describe sound, we all know what the person means even if it cannot be quantified to an exact degree whereby you could describe a sound to tek and he could make it just from your description.

for more technical descriptors we might say "it has a high presence around 16k yada yada.." to describe a cold sound, even with this i doubt most sound designers would be able to recreate a sounds from the descriptors.

then we get to settings, but for general chat is a bit yawn! here the words alone could reproduce the sound, but i bet even then most would only come reasonably close.

good evening :D

vurt wrote: im with you, in general chat warm and cold are fine to describe sound, we all know what the person means even if it cannot be quantified to an exact degree whereby you could describe a sound to tek and he could make it just from your description.
I'd think so too. Warm for me: Beefy, a bit of saturation, in general, full and plasant sounding. If you get a warm feeling in the stomach, then it's a warm sound. ;) Guess it has to do with the filter, with saturation/drive, also with oscillator drift. Don't know what else has a influence.

Already posted this elsewhere: The pad right at the beginning of this track sounds very "warm" to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuVch1ASu_k

chk071 wrote:
vurt wrote: im with you, in general chat warm and cold are fine to describe sound, we all know what the person means even if it cannot be quantified to an exact degree whereby you could describe a sound to tek and he could make it just from your description.
I'd think so too. Warm for me: Beefy, a bit of saturation, in general, full and plasant sounding. If you get a warm feeling in the stomach, then it's a warm sound. ;) Guess it has to do with the filter, with saturation/drive, also with oscillator drift. Don't know what else has a influence.

Already posted this elsewhere: The pad right at the beginning of this track sounds very "warm" to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuVch1ASu_k
Sounds good to me, but not warm, more digital and cool :wink:

Return to “Instruments”