What is it about Sylenth1 ?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
13999 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:39 am

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:30 am
I had my eye on the Jupiter, but didn't get it because of the mutilated user interface :?

Sure, I like some string sounds, strings are actually closely related to brass, on a synth that is :hihi: I prefer real strings, though, from my rompler I mean.

Your file doesn't play here. Dropbox never does, maybe it doesn't like me :cry:
right click on the link and choose open in new tab and it'll play. if not, i'll upload it to soundcloud

User avatar
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12682 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Re: What is it about Sylenth1 ?

Post Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:49 am

That worked :tu:

It sounds thinner and harsher to me, and it is just one oscillator, right? (I had used two, one saw each.) I think I also hear some resonance...
It also sounds spacier, probably a reverb or delay on it, right? (I had only used the chorus.)

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
13999 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: What is it about Sylenth1 ?

Post Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:53 am

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:49 am
That worked :tu:

It sounds thinner and harsher to me, and it is just one oscillator, right? (I had used two, one saw each.) I think I also hear some resonance...
It also sounds spacier, probably a reverb or delay on it, right? (I had only used the chorus.)
Okay, I know what you want now. No resonance. Two oscillators, detuned and chorus. Dune 2 can do that and it can sound just as pleasing as your patch.

You are ridiculously picky in your definition of warm but hey, no one can condemn someone for liking what they like. But seriously, with the limitation of sounds that you enjoy, you don't need much of a synth at all and even if Dune 2 could do what you want (it can) it would be an overkill synth for you because 99% of what it can ALSO do, you'd have no use for.

But my point is, other synths can sound warm. Sylenth1 doesn't have a corner on the market.

User avatar
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12682 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Re: What is it about Sylenth1 ?

Post Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:33 pm

Well, resonance for instance makes the sound harder and more aggressive, on any synth. I don't mind resonance on certain types of sounds, especially on synth basses. But with pads not so much.

What I like about S1 is that it sounds compact and polished, my second patch might as well have been used on an early Talk Talk song.

Indeed, in terms of features Dune 2 would be overkill for someone like me. I have said so repeatedly in this thread, in other words, though.

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
7216 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: What is it about Sylenth1 ?

Post Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:38 pm

AnX wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:59 am
its because its name is so close to Synth1. I think it was a deliberate tactic by lennard to name his own synth so closely to the the greatest soft synth of all time. So you see, when people recommend sylenth1, it's just a typo.
I think you might be onto something. But I have to ask, have you listened to Synth 1 lately? I can't believe how bad it sounds now, or that I ever thought it was so amazingly good ( and there was a time when I did). It aliases like a mother-fudder, even with mid-range notes. But back in the day it definitely filled a need.
Last edited by BONES on Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, Win10), Zoom U24, Orion 64 bit, Maschine Mikro, Elektron Analog Keys, Ultranova, Rocket, MicroMonsta, Uno

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
7216 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: What is it about Sylenth1 ?

Post Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:47 pm

EnGee wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:32 pm
@BONES: what do you mean she is not beautiful?! :mad:
She's tall, very thin, kind of awkward looking and without all that makeup her face is nothing to write home about, If you passed her in the street in her civvies, you wouldn't look twice.
fluffy_little_something wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:16 am
They do it because it improves the sound quality, which in turn will increase reputation and sales. What's bad about that? Isn't that how the economy works? Trying to increase sales either via quality or price?
How does a zero delay filter improve sound quality? It may improve versatility but a zero delay filter that sounds like garbage is still a poor filter.
toonertik wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:37 am
Pina_Collider.
What a great name for an album or a band!
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, Win10), Zoom U24, Orion 64 bit, Maschine Mikro, Elektron Analog Keys, Ultranova, Rocket, MicroMonsta, Uno

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
7216 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: What is it about Sylenth1 ?

Post Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:54 pm

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:55 am
(although there surely are a few other synths that sound better, Repro or Monark for instance)
Now I know you are winding me up - Monark is a Reaktor ensemble and there is nothing at all special about how it sounds. I played with it for all of 5 minutes before realising it's hopeless compared to Legend.
Come on, Bieber is popular not so much because of his music, but because he appeals to girls and young women, who make up the vast majority of his fans.
And zero delay filters appeal to purists who want a soft synth to slavishly ape every feature of an analogue synth, whether it is useful or not.
a Big Mac is tailored around the taste buds of the masses. If MD decided to go green and sell broccoli burgers instead, they would soon be out of business.
Unlikely. The success of Big Mac is largely based on availability and marketing. People know what a Big Mac is and where they can get one, so it ends up being popular, while much better burgers from your local fish and chip shop get no acknowledgement at all, even though they taste much better and are much better for you. It's how the world works - to be popular you have to appeal to the mass market, which often results in your product being mediocre, so as not to put anyone off, rather than specular, so as to attract customers.
Lamborghini and Ferrari are at the same level, the differences are negligible compared to the rest of the auto world. Which one you get is just a matter of taste, but whatever you buy, you know it is excellent quality and performance, the best of the best.
Actually, both are hand built cars and tend to be spectacularly unreliable. Ask any owner how many times his car has been towed and you'll be amazed.
Being vegan, I eat a lot of things because it is good, while I avoid stuff that I know is not good, but tastes better, like potato chips, pizza, chocolate etc.
I'd rather be dead.
But with Sylenth1 that is not the case, I like it AND it is very good in my view.
I think we've established sufficiently that you have no credibility on the subject.
Dune surely has many features that go beyond S1, no doubt. But what matters most to me is the sound character, and in that respect I prefer S1 for the classic synth sounds I need.
OK, so now you "prefer" it, which is valid, but the other day you were trying to suggest that DUNE didn't sound as good, which is clearly rubbish. SO finally we are making progress.
I do not make EDM, in which case I might prefer Dune because it has that spacey, modern, cold, FX-dependent sound I don't like.
I don't make EDM either and, very likely, detest it more than you do. But these things are synths, the notion that one is good for this kind of music and another is good of that is ridiculous. DUNE can do anything S1 can PLUS all the stuff EDM producers might be looking for. There is no magic formula for making something sound like it came from the dark ages, it's all in the programming, but what a waste it is restricting an instrument like that.

People who think "I am doing xxxxx style of music, so I must use yyyyy and zzzzz" are wrong-headed idiots. Do you think anyone thought like that back in the day? No, all any of us wanted to do was use the newest and best stuff we could get our hands on so that our sound could get better and better. And it has, over 40 or 50 years, with no steps backwards.
As you say yourself, you didn't find a sound challenge for me because your Dune patches use features S1 does not have. That is my point, I don't need those features like 8 layers and crazy modulations, while S1's sound quality as such is fine in my view.
I don't need that stuff either, and the fact it's there and I have to wade through it all the time is why I hate using DUNE, but if I gave you some of my sounds to recreate it would be even less fair (as I discovered with Vac Pro - all the sounds I think are really good are things I made myself, which I hadn't realised).
Not to mention Dune's envelopes which I don't like at all.
What? DUNE's envelopes? They are just about the snappiest in the business. In fact, I was going to choose one of the DUNE kick drum patches, just to make you squirm a little, but decided that would be unfair. But if you don't like the ADSR envelopes, which I think is just bullshit, you can always use the MSEGs instead and tailor them very precisely to your needs. I think you are just afraid to broaden your horizons.
fluffy_little_something wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:33 pm
Well, resonance for instance makes the sound harder and more aggressive, on any synth.
That's complete bullshit. Yours resonance subtly to thicken a sound. Used correctly, it can make it sound warmer because it introduces extra harmonics.
What I like about S1 is that it sounds compact and polished, my second patch might as well have been used on an early Talk Talk song.
You know Mark Hollis hates synths and only used them because he couldn't afford to do it any other way? Funny that you'd want to sound like him. (I love Talk Talk's first three albums and the song Talk Talk is one of my all-time favourites - so much restrained aggression in it.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdADI3VmBew
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, Win10), Zoom U24, Orion 64 bit, Maschine Mikro, Elektron Analog Keys, Ultranova, Rocket, MicroMonsta, Uno

wineberry
KVRer
3 posts since 23 Apr, 2010 from nz

Re: What is it about Sylenth1 ?

Post Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:07 pm

When we get older change is harder when tend to like the music we grew up to, like are parents saying music isn't the same anymore listen to this (insert old song) synths tend to be the same all these emulations of old synths and effects units just repeating what was made years ago (history aways repeats). When new software comes out its hard not to buy into it, newer always seems better at first and sometimes with good reason. The records some of us grew up with use older technology and we as human tend to hold on to out past to shape our future's. (There is no place like home) (Mothers cooking is always the best) I own Sylenth1 and a vast number of synths software and hardware analog and digital. So we compare yes and will always find one is better than the other at one or two three things etc. As to why it is talked about alot, I guess many people own it or have heard about it and it's been around along time now, vst wise that is. It still sounds good to me and many others who own it. Humans will always debate what is better its human nature. Past Present future

Back to making noise with crazy intent
See you all soon again
If someone can make a synth that can time travel im buying ten of them
Music is life you are life we are life together we give life
blah blah blahh blahkahwoidhoiuwegfwrjbvouirvn0ercgy9syrtp9846598347548296cb24856c746by gfioesfnxiuwy

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
7216 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: What is it about Sylenth1 ?

Post Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:19 pm

Mate, I'm 60, and my mum was a terrible cook, as in really bad. I think that fairly comprehensively demolishes your main point. There is all manner of music from my childhood in the 60s that I still like and it is likely that more than half my music collection pre-dates the fall of the Berlin Wal,l but that doesn't stop me from buying new music every week or from trying to push my own boundaries, at least a little, with the music I make. Evolution is the most natural thing in the world, stagnation leads to death and decay.
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, Win10), Zoom U24, Orion 64 bit, Maschine Mikro, Elektron Analog Keys, Ultranova, Rocket, MicroMonsta, Uno

User avatar
Russell Grand
KVRAF
1544 posts since 22 May, 2017

Re: What is it about Sylenth1 ?

Post Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:24 pm

Wow, some people just love to argue and relish in being obstinate. My god... :roll:

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
7216 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: What is it about Sylenth1 ?

Post Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:44 pm

Maybe you don''t think past the words as written but for me they offer insight beyond the topic being discussed. In this case, I can't understand why someone would chime in to provide excuses for other people and I was simply pointing out the stupidity of it.
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, Win10), Zoom U24, Orion 64 bit, Maschine Mikro, Elektron Analog Keys, Ultranova, Rocket, MicroMonsta, Uno

AnX
KVRAF
3417 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Re: What is it about Sylenth1 ?

Post Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:24 pm

BONES wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:38 pm
AnX wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:59 am
its because its name is so close to Synth1. I think it was a deliberate tactic by lennard to name his own synth so closely to the the greatest soft synth of all time. So you see, when people recommend sylenth1, it's just a typo.
I think you might be onto something. But I have to ask, have you listened to Synth 1 lately? I can't believe how bad it sounds now, or that I ever thought it was so amazingly good ( and there was a time when I did). It aliases like a mother-fudder, even with mid-range notes. But back in the day it definitely filled a need.
well, obviously i was joking (a bit)

ive never used Synth1 in a song, never did anything for me that Orions native synths couldnt do at the time

EnGee
KVRAF
5029 posts since 7 Oct, 2005

Re: What is it about Sylenth1 ?

Post Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:57 pm

BONES wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:47 pm
EnGee wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:32 pm
@BONES: what do you mean she is not beautiful?! :mad:
She's tall, very thin, kind of awkward looking and without all that makeup her face is nothing to write home about, If you passed her in the street in her civvies, you wouldn't look twice.
And you are attracted to such women! You must be in heaven mate as there are many such women in Australia and New Zealand :hihi: Just joking!

Anyway, her time has passed for being beautiful (just like us :D ) But for me it is sure a very subjective matter. I might have a strange taste then!

In one or two of her songs she appeared without her 'Gothic' makeup, "Peek-A-Boo" and "Kiss Them For Me", and I find her really beautiful! Anyway "Beauty", "Art" and "Music" they are not measurable with specifications like material things. Especially that they are affected by personal memories and bias.
Let's donate to help the kids and save our planet.
--------------------------------------------------------
Windows 10 & Maschine 2

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
7216 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: What is it about Sylenth1 ?

Post Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:07 am

Apparently Elle MacPherson used to get picked on at high school for being tall, skinny and ungainly and look how she turned out!
fluffy_little_something wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:37 am
Everyone seems to have their own idea of warm, to me such sounds are warm, and analog by the way:

https://app.box.com/s/kgh3vxoa03fizpb18u2dzpvs79hfyw0l

https://app.box.com/s/z9o285uphhhwxc644yowzn9vksiqar79
The second one sounds much better to me but neither can hold a candle to this -

http://novakill.com/stuff/DUNE_Test.wav

DUNE is so full and fuzzy and powerful by comparison, and at the same time buttery smooth. It is "analogue" in a way that no real analogue synth could ever hope to match. There is a hint of bottom end in your second example but the bottom end in mine is so huge I had to put a compressor on it, then a brickwall limiter so that that you could hear the higher notes properly. Honestly, it's chalk and cheese.
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, Win10), Zoom U24, Orion 64 bit, Maschine Mikro, Elektron Analog Keys, Ultranova, Rocket, MicroMonsta, Uno

User avatar
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12682 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Re: What is it about Sylenth1 ?

Post Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:37 am

BONES wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:07 am
Apparently Elle MacPherson used to get picked on at high school for being tall, skinny and ungainly and look how she turned out!
fluffy_little_something wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:37 am
Everyone seems to have their own idea of warm, to me such sounds are warm, and analog by the way:

https://app.box.com/s/kgh3vxoa03fizpb18u2dzpvs79hfyw0l

https://app.box.com/s/z9o285uphhhwxc644yowzn9vksiqar79
The second one sounds much better to me but neither can hold a candle to this -

http://novakill.com/stuff/DUNE_Test.wav

DUNE is so full and fuzzy and powerful by comparison, and at the same time buttery smooth. It is "analogue" in a way that no real analogue synth could ever hope to match. There is a hint of bottom end in your second example but the bottom end in mine is so huge I had to put a compressor on it, then a brickwall limiter so that that you could hear the higher notes properly. Honestly, it's chalk and cheese.
1) Sorry, but it sounds horrible to my ears. And it's a nightmare to make sit in the mix of a song with vocals. It has that typical modern, exaggerated, all over the place sound that I despise.
I assume I could get a really big pad out of Sylenth1 as well if I tried, but I haven't so far because I would not know what to do with something like that, anyway. To the contrary, I try to keep my patches compact, for instance by setting oscillator stereo width to 20% or so. Classic analog synths were even mono before effects. I also use the eq a lot to cut away excessive bass and treble. But maybe I will try it later on just to see how it sounds on S1. What key characteristics did you use? (number/settings of waves/oscillators/layers, effects, saturation/distortion etc.)
2) I don't think it sounds analog. For instance there is something muffled about it, it lacks definition and shine, very different from my JX-8P. Hard to describe. It is the very sound character I didn't like when I demoed it.
3) Aren't you a bit old for that analogue joke, insinuation or whatever it is supposed to be? ;)

Return to “Instruments”