Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
10213 posts since 7 Sep, 2008

Re: What is it about Sylenth1 ?

Post Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:27 pm

AnX wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:10 pm
this thread needs the Toyota analogy
Yeah I don’t get the bold. I can only assume he thinks he’s being witty.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
7216 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:21 am

And what music does your daughter like? I'm thinking it's probably Tay-Tay and Justin Bieber.
acYm wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:54 pm
if that's what you think, it just means you can't really tell. you must make patches with the mouse. I use a high-end control surface, and let me tell you, Sylenth1 feels as solid as any quality hardware instrument and offers flawless integration, whereas Spire is barely usable in this regard.
Do you have any idea how massive a wanker that makes you seem? Honestly, it makes me look like a nice, agreeable person. I hate making patches, it's a chore I avoid as far as possible, so how I make them is so irrelevant as to be something I never think about. It certainly doesn't influence my perception of the sounds when I play them with my high-end control surface (Roli Seaboard Rise) or when I hear them in a finished mix. Those are the standards I judge by.
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, Win10), Zoom U24, Orion 64 bit, Maschine Mikro, Elektron Analog Keys, Ultranova, Rocket, MicroMonsta, Uno

Russell Grand
KVRAF
1544 posts since 22 May, 2017

Post Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:26 am

:roll:

Haraldator
KVRist
126 posts since 26 Sep, 2012 from Norway

Post Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:32 am

So yeah, I think I've finally come up with my signature for this forum:

"My high-end control surface is better than yours."

Russell Grand
KVRAF
1544 posts since 22 May, 2017

Post Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:29 am

:lol:

V0RT3X
KVRAF
7252 posts since 4 Jul, 2012 from Canada

Post Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:34 am

Maybe I should buy Sylenth1 next..

goldenanalog
KVRAF
1624 posts since 7 Dec, 2005 from somewhere between analog and digital

Post Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:41 am

BONES wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:21 am
And what music does your daughter like? I'm thinking it's probably Tay-Tay and Justin Bieber.
Lol Nice one! No, sorry, Mr. Bones - your above choices are about 100 miles/160 kilometers off the mark -

sqigls
KVRAF
3378 posts since 25 Dec, 2004 from Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:48 am

Sylenth1 is still a great sounding synth.
I put it up against my Tempest recently (100% analog sound) on some pads and basses, a few things...
I've basically replaced all my tempest synth instances in my live set with Sylenth1, it's solid. Capable.
So is Carbon Electra :P
That's quite an underrated synth i reckon.

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12682 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Post Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:11 am

@Bones

Unlike you I only call things names, not people. Feel free to call my audios anything you want, I don't mind. I am being objective, as I said before different people have different ideas of what sounds nice or warm or whatever. I am aware of that, after all this is not the first discussion on sound quality on KVR ;) How can I be any more rational and objective than that?! When I say that I find your audio horrible, it is just my opinion. I don't know what other term to use that would express my opinion better. Ugly? Terrible? But I doubt you would want to hear those terms any more than horrible.

Your logic makes no sense. Of course I can say I don't like pizza and mean exactly that, not circular food. I might like circular cakes or donuts for instance.

I did not say anywhere that S1 is the best synth. So, no idea why you put those words into my mouth. I wrote somewhere that Repro for instance sounds better, but that the difference is not so big as to justify the huge CPU load.
What I am saying, though, that I find the sound of S1 better than Dune 2's or Hive's.

I like S1's saturation and distortion when used modestly just to add a little "electricity". I don't see anything wrong with it. Distortion and chords tends to go wrong on most synths.

No, I have not seen Blade Runner 2049.
Just looked up 'EBM', no wonder you see things so differently :D
Also judging from the songs you posted, like Ultravox etc., we live on different musical planets.
Never heard of John Fox, Die Krupps or Devo.
Funny thins is that usually artists that have been around for decades, like the Simple Minds, used to be much more popular in the 80's than today and often they are remembered for their old songs, not their new ones. I love one Simple Minds song, though, Someone somewhere. Compared to that Blindfolded sounds like garbage to me :D

I couldn't care less about the Supersaw sound, I have never used it on S1.
The JX-8P was an analog hardware synth (Roland's last analog synth if I am not mistaken), no virtual oscillators being stacked there...
I am all about 'less is more'.
An example of a modern song with nice synths in my view would be Jamiroquai's Cloud 9, it has retained that classic sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVMtKQMAZqw

tony10000
KVRist
147 posts since 4 Aug, 2017

Post Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:31 am

It says a lot that a synth developed so long ago is the subject of such a discussion.

acYm
KVRian
789 posts since 11 Sep, 2015

Post Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:47 pm

BONES wrote:
Do you have any idea how massive a wanker that makes you seem? Honestly, it makes me look like a nice, agreeable person. I hate making patches, it's a chore I avoid as far as possible, so how I make them is so irrelevant as to be something I never think about. It certainly doesn't influence my perception of the sounds when I play them with my high-end control surface (Roli Seaboard Rise) or when I hear them in a finished mix. Those are the standards I judge by.
your Rise is a great instrument, but that's not what a control surface is.
some of us are about the sound making journey as much as the result, and the simple fact is that Spire offers a much less comfortable and usable control implementation - something that comes into play when synths start costing a certain amount. when Spire 1.1 came out, it had a whole new DLL, and so the control templates had to be re-made, yet it still had real shoddy, half-assed automation. that's a fail. I said made like a freeware but at this point that's not really fair, as many free vst's have got it right.

with Sylenth1 that's just not the case, you have a professional instrument meant to be fully integrated in any kind of studio.
V0RT3X wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:34 am
Maybe I should buy Sylenth1 next..
if you use a high-end control surface, it has my utmost recommendation. :tu:

BONES
GRRRRRRR!

Post Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:01 pm

goldenanalog wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:41 am
BONES wrote:
Lol Nice one! No, sorry, Mr. Bones - your above choices are about 100 miles/160 kilometers off the mark
So should we instead defer to her decades of industry experience? Her production credits? Maybe just her extensive, carefully curated music collection and how that gives her opinion some weight?
tony10000 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:31 am
It says a lot that a synth developed so long ago is the subject of such a discussion.
Yeah, you'd think by now everyone would have realised how limited it is but there are seemingly no limits to some people's ability to ignore evidence and convince themselves of anything.
acYm wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:47 pm
some of us are about the sound making journey as much as the result
If that's the case, then you are only interested in about 5% of what I need to do to get to a finished product I am happy with, so you'll understand why it is so unimportant to me, I hope, and why I am so dismissive of your opinion.
with Sylenth1 that's just not the case, you have a professional instrument meant to be fully integrated in any kind of studio.
... so long as you don't expect to be able to use basic features of even freeware synths, like PWM. Honestly, even my earliest attempts at making something in SynthEdit managed to include PWM.
if you use a high-end control surface, it has my utmost recommendation. :tu:
If your control surface is so "high end", why do you go out of your way not to mention it by name? I mean, if I had a Ferrari, I'd want everyone to know it was a Ferrari, not just a "high end" sports car. Could it be that it is really a Korg Nano controller?
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, Win10), Zoom U24, Orion 64 bit, Maschine Mikro, Elektron Analog Keys, Ultranova, Rocket, MicroMonsta, Uno

acYm
KVRian
789 posts since 11 Sep, 2015

Post Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:17 pm

nah I favor Kore 2. it's not a big secret or anything, nor the only option for high-end plugin control.
what do you have against nano's? I wouldn't part with my nanopad2 for anything.
Last edited by acYm on Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!

Post Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:20 pm

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:11 am
I am being objective, as I said before different people have different ideas of what sounds nice or warm or whatever. I am aware of that, after all this is not the first discussion on sound quality on KVR ;) How can I be any more rational and objective than that?! When I say that I find your audio horrible
Right there is a good start. "Horrible" doesn't tell anyone anything other than you don't like it and, in case you haven't noticed, nobody cares what you like or don't like. I don't like either of the sounds you put up but I can put that aside and be objective about them - they do sound warm and somewhat analogue, but they also sound comparatively thin, which definitely takes away from their warmth, and they'd really only work in a mix with a big EQ boost to the bottom end or something underneath them to fill out the spectrum. I'm sure my ESQ-M could have made a similar sound with way more bottom end than that. In fact, in the bad old days that was often the biggest challenge with analogue hardware - keeping the bottom end under control. Roland, of course, fixed it by not having any bottom end.
I don't know what other term to use that would express my opinion better. Ugly? Terrible? But I doubt you would want to hear those terms any more than horrible.
Correct, because none of those terms say anything about the actual sound. Are you really incapable of separating anything from your own response to it?
Your logic makes no sense. Of course I can say I don't like pizza and mean exactly that, not circular food.
Of course you can but when it comes to making an analogy with what's happening here, mine is much closer to what's going on.
I like S1's saturation and distortion when used modestly just to add a little "electricity". I don't see anything wrong with it. Distortion and chords tends to go wrong on most synths.
All this tells me is that you don't know what you're doing. if you can hear the distortion in a sound like these, you're using it wrong. In a good distortion unit, you keep it subtle by leaving the "fuzz" at zero and doing it all with overdrive/boost, the way the Drive works in most synths, including S1.
Also judging from the songs you posted, like Ultravox etc., we live on different musical planets.
Never heard of John Fox, Die Krupps or Devo.
I find it impossible to believe you don't know Devo's Whip It. Everybody knows Whip It. But it definitely indicates you have little experience upon which to base anything.
An example of a modern song with nice synths in my view would be Jamiroquai's Cloud 9, it has retained that classic sound:
That is anything but a "modern song". It's freakin' disco, FFS. I can think of few artists I have less respect for than that idiot. He's probably never had an original thought in his entire life.

Return to “Instruments”