What is it about Sylenth1 ?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
10213 posts since 7 Sep, 2008

Post Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:41 pm

As expected the idiot doesn’t know how to use his equipment. I guess if it isn’t on a big red flashing button it’s too difficult for the tosspot to set it up.
http://oleans-house.com/how-to-do-pulse ... -sylenth1/
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF

Re: What is it about Sylenth1 ?

Post Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:44 pm

BONES wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:21 am
if I had a Ferrari, I'd want everyone to know it was a Ferrari, not just a "high end" sports car.
Of course you would. You have the self confidence and personality of a bar stool.

goldenanalog
KVRAF
1624 posts since 7 Dec, 2005 from somewhere between analog and digital

Post Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:20 pm

5Lives
KVRian
518 posts since 10 Nov, 2005 from New York City

Post Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:33 pm

I would love to hear Bones' music considering he's a genius among us dumb asses. I bet those sweet Dune sounds will make all of us pee our pants as he goes on to sell millions and gains the adoration of all those idiots out there. The likes of his golden ears have never been seen before. Jamiroquai will never write a song as good as the sh*ttiest track in Bones' extensive catalog of hits and wishes he had Dune so he could've reached that upper echelon of sonic bliss and finally sold some records (...apart from the 26 million he's already sold).

JerGoertz
KVRAF
2165 posts since 20 Feb, 2004

Post Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:34 pm

What is it about Sylenth1 threads?
A well-behaved signature.

toonertik
KVRian
507 posts since 15 Feb, 2017

Post Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:23 am

I totally misunderstood the thread..
maybe coz I lithp

2ZrgE
KVRian
1176 posts since 30 Mar, 2011

Post Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:15 am

JerGoertz wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:34 pm
As useless as 90 percent of all KVR threads.

farlukar
KVRAF
6008 posts since 18 Apr, 2004

Post Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:57 am

2ZrgE wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:15 am
JerGoertz wrote:
As useless as 90 percent of all KVR threads.
Useless? It's entertainment.
*gets more popcorn*

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12682 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Post Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:07 am

JerGoertz wrote:
There hardly are any these days, unlike, say, Dune threads...

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Post Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:18 am

BONES wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:20 pm
fluffy_little_something wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:11 am
I am being objective, as I said before different people have different ideas of what sounds nice or warm or whatever. I am aware of that, after all this is not the first discussion on sound quality on KVR ;) How can I be any more rational and objective than that?! When I say that I find your audio horrible
Right there is a good start. "Horrible" doesn't tell anyone anything other than you don't like it and, in case you haven't noticed, nobody cares what you like or don't like. I don't like either of the sounds you put up but I can put that aside and be objective about them - they do sound warm and somewhat analogue, but they also sound comparatively thin, which definitely takes away from their warmth, and they'd really only work in a mix with a big EQ boost to the bottom end or something underneath them to fill out the spectrum. I'm sure my ESQ-M could have made a similar sound with way more bottom end than that. In fact, in the bad old days that was often the biggest challenge with analogue hardware - keeping the bottom end under control. Roland, of course, fixed it by not having any bottom end.
I don't know what other term to use that would express my opinion better. Ugly? Terrible? But I doubt you would want to hear those terms any more than horrible.
Correct, because none of those terms say anything about the actual sound. Are you really incapable of separating anything from your own response to it?
Your logic makes no sense. Of course I can say I don't like pizza and mean exactly that, not circular food.
Of course you can but when it comes to making an analogy with what's happening here, mine is much closer to what's going on.
I like S1's saturation and distortion when used modestly just to add a little "electricity". I don't see anything wrong with it. Distortion and chords tends to go wrong on most synths.
All this tells me is that you don't know what you're doing. if you can hear the distortion in a sound like these, you're using it wrong. In a good distortion unit, you keep it subtle by leaving the "fuzz" at zero and doing it all with overdrive/boost, the way the Drive works in most synths, including S1.
Also judging from the songs you posted, like Ultravox etc., we live on different musical planets.
Never heard of John Fox, Die Krupps or Devo.
I find it impossible to believe you don't know Devo's Whip It. Everybody knows Whip It. But it definitely indicates you have little experience upon which to base anything.
An example of a modern song with nice synths in my view would be Jamiroquai's Cloud 9, it has retained that classic sound:
That is anything but a "modern song". It's freakin' disco, FFS. I can think of few artists I have less respect for than that idiot. He's probably never had an original thought in his entire life.
Which brings us back to square one again: what does warm mean? Does more bass mean warmer or more analog?
Why would I boost a patch's low frequencies when I deliberately reduced them in the synth's own eq before? When I listen to songs from the 70's and 80's I like, they often used pads (and sounds in general) whose frequency bands were limited. Even with bass, the bottom is often only insinuated, but not really there. And it works because the brain knows that the monophonic melody is supposed to be the bass line.

One song I still like is Kajagoogoo's Hang on girl, with the instrumental version one can hear for instance that the lovely Jupiter 8 pad does not have any bottom, it is light as a feather and floats around so to speak. The basses, both electric and synth, also have a lot of higher frequencies, but not that much bottom. But it works. One did not need huge speakers or sub-woofers in order to listen to such songs without reducing the bass on the amp. Roland deliberately included a separate HP filter on their analog synths for getting rid of the bottom...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQPPpjkXwkI

Massive sub-bass came about later, with those irritating bass drums and sine R&B basses etc.

Horrible is just a summarizing term, but I think I did say that I found your pad's sound cold, muffled and all over the place, which are specific properties, albeit subjective ones of course :wink:

It was a general remark: distortion tends to lead to ugly noise when playing chords. I rarely use distortion on polyphonic sounds, even on low settings slight noise tends to creep in when playing chords. With monophonic sounds certain distortion modes and amounts can work nicely, though, sometimes leading to unexpected results.

I indeed did not know that Whip it song by Devo, a band I have never heard of, either. Maybe it's a country-specific thing...
I only know Let it whip by the Gap Band, because back then R&B and Disco was basically all I listened to :D

Jamiroquai is a band, not one guy, same as with Sade. Jamiroquai is a pretty good band, actually, excellent bass player for instance. The singer is known to be a good, influential songwriter within that genre. No idea why you think he has never had an original thought in his entire life. Have you won a Grammy or MTV award, yet? How many platinum albums have you released? I don't really love that song I posted, but I like the way the synths sound, simple, effective and clean.

Your views here are so odd that I sometimes wonder if you really mean what you write or are just trying to have some fun by provoking us :)

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Post Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:56 pm

Mushy Mushy wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:41 pm
As expected the idiot doesn’t know how to use his equipment. I guess if it isn’t on a big red flashing button it’s too difficult for the tosspot to set it up.
I think he forgot to mention that one should enable retrigger on both oscillators.
Would be cool if Lennard modified S1 so that one can do the same trick on a single layer. Since each oscillator already has its own phase and phase control, it is only a matter of adding modulation targets phase A1, A2, B1 and B2 to the existing phase A and B targets.

tony10000
KVRist
147 posts since 4 Aug, 2017

Post Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:37 pm

Sylenth 1 has been used on many hits. It may be limited, but it has a unique sound and people like it.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
7216 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:02 pm

People like smoking, too, it doesn't mean anything.
Mushy Mushy wrote:
How stupid are you? You have to use up both oscillators to get something that approximates PWM but isn't actually PWM. f**king brilliant! I say "isn't" because what the fool who thought this up forgets is that changing the phase of the second oscillator will leave a sawtooth tail so it won't be a very good approximation at all. You'll get movement but you can do that by modulating the phase anyway. Meanwhile, the rest of the universe has a knob labelled PWM that can be used on each oscillator, separately, in a simple one-step process.
goldenanalog wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:20 pm
lol - her opinion, like everyone else's here - is just as valid as yours, Mr. Bones.
No, it's not and if you think it is, you are a complete idiot. Would you seek relationship advice from your daughter? Financial advice? Advice on how to fix a leaky roof? Advice on which mechanic to take your car to? No, you go to people with some kind of experience, people who are likely to know what they are talking about, because some opinions are far more valid than others. I've been doing this for 37 years, I think I know just a tiny bit more about it than your daughter.

As for your links, I notice that Sound On Sound isn't among them. When you can point me to a Sound On Sound review, I might take a bit of notice because that is a publication whose opinions I have some respect for. Sites like Music Radar basically just reprint press releases.
5Lives wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:33 pm
I would love to hear Bones' music considering he's a genius among us dumb asses. I bet those sweet Dune sounds will make all of us pee our pants as he goes on to sell millions and gains the adoration of all those idiots out there.
You need to be careful when you are trying to be sarcastic because our last album did spend two weeks at #1 on the only chart that matters in our genre. You can listen to our music on your favourite streaming service, you can buy tracks digitally from iTunes, Amazon or your favourite alternative and you can buy our CDs on line or in specialty record stores (if you can find one). But we haven't used DUNE on any of our previous recordings, although it will be all over our next album, which should be finished by Xmas for a release in the first half of next year. Remember, too, that I don't actually like DUNE and wouldn't own it if I had to pay for it.
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, Win10), Zoom U24, Orion 64 bit, Maschine Mikro, Elektron Analog Keys, Ultranova, Rocket, MicroMonsta, Uno

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF

Post Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:16 pm

Straight away with the personal attacks which is fine by me because I can then address the idiot as an idiot.

However this idiot must be less of an idiot than you though because I’ve learnt that if something doesn’t do what I want I use a substitute that does; I don’t complain about it for 36 pages. Why waste that much time and effort arguing about something you have no vested interest in?! The idiot here clear.

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:01 am

BONES wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:02 pm
People like smoking, too, it doesn't mean anything.
Mushy Mushy wrote:
How stupid are you? You have to use up both oscillators to get something that approximates PWM but isn't actually PWM. f**king brilliant! I say "isn't" because what the fool who thought this up forgets is that changing the phase of the second oscillator will leave a sawtooth tail so it won't be a very good approximation at all. You'll get movement but you can do that by modulating the phase anyway. Meanwhile, the rest of the universe has a knob labelled PWM that can be used on each oscillator, separately, in a simple one-step process.
goldenanalog wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:20 pm
lol - her opinion, like everyone else's here - is just as valid as yours, Mr. Bones.
No, it's not and if you think it is, you are a complete idiot. Would you seek relationship advice from your daughter? Financial advice? Advice on how to fix a leaky roof? Advice on which mechanic to take your car to? No, you go to people with some kind of experience, people who are likely to know what they are talking about, because some opinions are far more valid than others. I've been doing this for 37 years, I think I know just a tiny bit more about it than your daughter.

As for your links, I notice that Sound On Sound isn't among them. When you can point me to a Sound On Sound review, I might take a bit of notice because that is a publication whose opinions I have some respect for. Sites like Music Radar basically just reprint press releases.
5Lives wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:33 pm
I would love to hear Bones' music considering he's a genius among us dumb asses. I bet those sweet Dune sounds will make all of us pee our pants as he goes on to sell millions and gains the adoration of all those idiots out there.
You need to be careful when you are trying to be sarcastic because our last album did spend two weeks at #1 on the only chart that matters in our genre. You can listen to our music on your favourite streaming service, you can buy tracks digitally from iTunes, Amazon or your favourite alternative and you can buy our CDs on line or in specialty record stores (if you can find one). But we haven't used DUNE on any of our previous recordings, although it will be all over our next album, which should be finished by Xmas for a release in the first half of next year. Remember, too, that I don't actually like DUNE and wouldn't own it if I had to pay for it.
I tried the PWM workaround and compared it to Noisemaker's dedicated PWM yesterday, it sounds exactly the same to me. Actually, it sounded slightly better to me than on Noisemaker thanks to S1's juicy, bright oscillators.
But yes, wasting an entire instance (not just layer) just in order to create a single pulse wave for PWM is not very elegant :hihi:

So, what is your band called? Post a link to one of your CD's as we are all curious now :wink:

Return to “Instruments”