Synthesizer V - New voice synthesizer for Windows & Linux (Mac support added)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
vurt
addled muppet weed
68252 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:17 am

quantum7 wrote:Cool technology..,BUT....every time I here “vocaloid” type music it makes me depressed with a feeling that life isn’t worth living anymore. Seriously, I’d almost rather be burned alive than live in a world full of this warped computer-generated distopian vocal-hell. Just my personal opinion though, :)
i take it you're not a trans-humanist then?

ENV1
KVRAF
2716 posts since 31 Aug, 2011

Post Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:18 am

SciFiArtMan wrote:Well that's how it used to work on those early text to speech programs - by writing phonetically, you could get the voice(s) to speak the words correctly, especially words that defied the rules. And sometimes the written "words" could get pretty crazy, but the results were worth it!
I was just going to say that (and that el-bos advice is good advice that should be tried) because i recently made a Radioactivity cover using an old Windows 95 Plus! application based on SoftVoice (TalkIt!) where a lot of the syllables had to be written in 'alternative' ways to get them to sound as i needed them to. (Or at least closer to it.) In some instances this can really make a huge difference so one should always try this if the default pronunciation isnt satisfactory.

Excerpt from my syllable list, just to show how extreme it often needs to be to get closer to what you want.

(Forum software insisted on killing my tabulators so i put periods. Still messed up but better.)

Settings
Personality.....Hyper Male
Pitch Quality...Monotone, except RA in Radioactivity (Natural)
Language........English, except CO in Discovered (Spanish)
Vocal Effort....Normal

Radioactivity
rayeeeeeee......Pitch 200, Speed 120 (Pitch Quality Natural)
deeeeeeeeeee....Pitch 220, Speed 120
ouuuuuuu........Pitch 220, Speed 120
ack.............Pitch 200, Speed 180
teeeeeeeee......Pitch 220, Speed 120
v...............Pitch 200, Speed 240

Is in the air for you and me (Normal)
iss.............Pitch 160, Speed 180
in,.............Pitch 176, Speed 120 (Comma makes it longer)
dee.............Pitch 176, Speed 120
är..............Pitch 176, Speed 120
fore............Pitch 176, Speed 180
eoo.............Pitch 220, Speed 120
and.............Pitch 200, Speed 180
meeeeee.........Pitch 176, Speed 120

Is in the air for you and me (End)
in,.............Pitch 200, Speed 120 (Comma makes it longer)
dee.............Pitch 200, Speed 120
är..............Pitch 200, Speed 120
fore............Pitch 200, Speed 180
eoo.............Pitch 200, Speed 120
and.............Pitch 220, Speed 180
meeeeee.........Pitch 244, Speed 120

Discovered by Madame Curie
dis.............Pitch 160, Speed 180
ka..............Pitch 176, Speed 120 (Spanish)
verd............Pitch 176, Speed 120
buy.............Pitch 176, Speed 120
muh.............Pitch 176, Speed 180
dumm............Pitch 220, Speed 120
cue.............Pitch 200, Speed 120
reeee...........Pitch 176, Speed 120

Tune-in to the melody
teoone..........Pitch 176, Speed 120
een.............Pitch 176, Speed 120
too.............Pitch 176, Speed 120
tha.............Pitch 176, Speed 120
mel.............Pitch 220, Speed 180
lo..............Pitch 200, Speed 180
deeeeeeeee......Pitch 176, Speed 120

Jaleo
KVRist
105 posts since 13 Jan, 2009 from Pontevedra, Spain

Post Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:01 am

wagtunes wrote:
Jaleo wrote:I did some tests in Synthesizer V, it sounds nice and it's really easy to use. Just a cover example of "Manic Monday" (The Bangles 1986):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JVWxL ... Jr8nfudhDW
I like the way she sounds. So how do you integrate the vocal with the instrumental track since this isn't a VST?
First I create a midi track for vocals in my DAW, imported the midi track in Synthesizer V, edited the lirics. Rendered the vocals and imported it in the DAW to mix with the instrumental.
Last edited by Jaleo on Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
16289 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Post Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:03 am

vurt wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:.

Ja-naa-amean, Bruv? Yair! Eye-no-ya-naa-amean :wink:
are you having a stroke?
Vurt! I've told you before: If you want to know my masturbatory habits, you'll at least have to buy me a couple of glasses of sparkling wine :P

Jaleo
KVRist

Post Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:05 am

SciFiArtMan wrote:
Jaleo wrote:I did some tests in Synthesizer V, it sounds nice and it's really easy to use. Just a cover example of "Manic Monday" (The Bangles 1986):

You did a beautiful job on this track Jaleo, and Synth-V sounds very nice, for what it is! Unfortunately, "her" squeaky, little girl voice is not my cup-o-tea at all, but it's good to see/hear the advancement of the concept continue!.
Completely agree, the voice timbre is very childish, and most producers are demanding a more mature voice that would fit in different styles.

el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF

Post Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:13 am

Jaleo wrote:
SciFiArtMan wrote:

You did a beautiful job on this track Jaleo, and Synth-V sounds very nice, for what it is! Unfortunately, "her" squeaky, little girl voice is not my cup-o-tea at all, but it's good to see/hear the advancement of the concept continue!.
Completely agree, the voice timbre is very childish, and most producers are demanding a more mature voice that would fit in different styles.
That's quite strange to me, as there are moments when her tonality comes very close to that of Susannah Hoffs :shrug:

Jaleo
KVRist

Post Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:22 am

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:

¡Impresionante!

This is really close to getting there. However, there are still places where the phrasing gets tripped up by the diction, especially with regard to syllables.

I wonder if this might be improved by taking liberties with the spelling, phonetics etc.

An example: Does it help to change "...wish your bed was already made", to, "...wishor bed was already made"
How about changing "Italian" to "Ital-yan"?

Just curious :tu:
I see, I think it would be possible to improve that! English is not my first tongue and I barely notice those little nuances sometimes. It's possible to do phoneme replacements, I do that all the time.

In "wish your", I think that /y/ sound is too long but I can't make it sort enough, so it's posibe to delete it
The "italian" word yes, I noticed that...

Maybe I should share the song file so all of you can take a look?
Last edited by Jaleo on Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jaleo
KVRist

Post Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:33 am

Jaleo wrote:
SciFiArtMan wrote:

That's quite strange to me, as there are moments when her tonality comes very close to that of Susannah Hoffs :shrug:
Yes, the tension parameter is very cool to acheive that tone, but Susan has a more mature voice in the low register.

wagtunes
KVRAF
19682 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:37 am

Jaleo wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

I like the way she sounds. So how do you integrate the vocal with the instrumental track since this isn't a VST?
First I create a midi track for vocals in my DAW, imported the midi track in Synthesizer V, edited the lirics. Rendered the vocals and imported it in the DAW to mix with the instrumental.
Is it a completely blank MIDI track or does it have to have the notes already in it?

herodotus
KVRAF
5613 posts since 8 Dec, 2004 from The Twin Cities

Post Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:46 am

As I said before, until it can be cute, have an attitude, show up late, use too many chemicals, go into rehab, and make a comeback, it will never replace a real singer.

vurt
addled muppet weed

Post Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:49 am

ENV1 wrote:
SciFiArtMan wrote:Well that's how it used to work on those early text to speech programs - by writing phonetically, you could get the voice(s) to speak the words correctly, especially words that defied the rules. And sometimes the written "words" could get pretty crazy, but the results were worth it!
I was just going to say that (and that el-bos advice is good advice that should be tried) because i recently made a Radioactivity cover using an old Windows 95 Plus! application based on SoftVoice (TalkIt!) where a lot of the syllables had to be written in 'alternative' ways to get them to sound as i needed them to. (Or at least closer to it.) In some instances this can really make a huge difference so one should always try this if the default pronunciation isnt satisfactory.

Excerpt from my syllable list, just to show how extreme it often needs to be to get closer to what you want.

(Forum software insisted on killing my tabulators so i put periods. Still messed up but better.)

Settings
Personality.....Hyper Male
Pitch Quality...Monotone, except RA in Radioactivity (Natural)
Language........English, except CO in Discovered (Spanish)
Vocal Effort....Normal

Radioactivity
rayeeeeeee......Pitch 200, Speed 120 (Pitch Quality Natural)
deeeeeeeeeee....Pitch 220, Speed 120
ouuuuuuu........Pitch 220, Speed 120
ack.............Pitch 200, Speed 180
v...............Pitch 200, Speed 240

Is in the air for you and me (Normal)
in,.............Pitch 176, Speed 120 (Comma makes it longer)
dee.............Pitch 176, Speed 120
är..............Pitch 176, Speed 120
fore............Pitch 176, Speed 180
eoo.............Pitch 220, Speed 120
and.............Pitch 200, Speed 180
meeeeee.........Pitch 176, Speed 120

Is in the air for you and me (End)
in,.............Pitch 200, Speed 120 (Comma makes it longer)
dee.............Pitch 200, Speed 120
är..............Pitch 200, Speed 120
fore............Pitch 200, Speed 180
eoo.............Pitch 200, Speed 120
and.............Pitch 220, Speed 180
meeeeee.........Pitch 244, Speed 120

Discovered by Madame Curie
dis.............Pitch 160, Speed 180
ka..............Pitch 176, Speed 120 (Spanish)
verd............Pitch 176, Speed 120
buy.............Pitch 176, Speed 120
muh.............Pitch 176, Speed 180
dumm............Pitch 220, Speed 120
cue.............Pitch 200, Speed 120
reeee...........Pitch 176, Speed 120

Tune-in to the melody
teoone..........Pitch 176, Speed 120
een.............Pitch 176, Speed 120
too.............Pitch 176, Speed 120
tha.............Pitch 176, Speed 120
mel.............Pitch 220, Speed 180
lo..............Pitch 200, Speed 180
deeeeeeeee......Pitch 176, Speed 120
ill be honest, i never realised how much work went in to just a few lines. almost seems it would be easier to learn to sing :o
gives me a new appreciation for wags efforts.

el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF

Post Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:52 am

herodotus wrote:As I said before, until it can be cute, have an attitude, show up late, use too many chemicals, go into rehab, and make a comeback, it will never replace a real singer.
You could try to make it go to rehab :hihi:

vurt
addled muppet weed

Post Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:54 am

herodotus wrote:As I said before, until it can be cute, have an attitude, show up late, use too many chemicals, go into rehab, and make a comeback, it will never replace a real singer.
You could try to make it go to rehab :hihi:
right! time out, get on the naughty step!

Jaleo
KVRist

Post Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:33 am

wagtunes wrote:
Jaleo wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

Is it a completely blank MIDI track or does it have to have the notes already in it?
I obviously I create a midi track with the notes (just only because I do that faster in my DAW) to import the midi file in Synth V.

wagtunes
KVRAF
19682 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:51 am

Jaleo wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Jaleo wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

I obviously I create a midi track with the notes (just only because I do that faster in my DAW) to import the midi file in Synth V.
Ah okay, so then what I could do is create a Vocaloid track in my DAW, export that to MIDI and then import THAT MIDI track into Synthesizer V. That would be the easiest way for me.

Maybe when I have some time to kill I'll give this a shot. How many voices does it come with or is it just one programmable interface giving you the options of many voices?

Return to “Instruments”