Omnisphere 2.5 Released

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
jbraner
KVRian
903 posts since 8 Jan, 2003

Post Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:22 am

They've set it up not to have Omnisphere emulate the hardware, but behave predictably based on it, using similar waveforms, effects, filters etc from the source synth, and give it a flavour of the source synth. There's nothing to stop you using additional features in Omni, features the controlling synth doesn't have physical controls for, and you can always use these as a starting point and develop further.

And it doesn't mean you shouldn't use the hardware as a synth in it's own right either, or "replace" it with Omni - this is an additional feature that, if you use Omnisphere, now gives you something you couldn't easily do before to make your Omni experience nicer and more immediate.

It's about combining the good, predictable, physical control of dedicated hardware control surface to the advantages of software.
This makes sense. I guess it's aimed at "integrating" Omni with your h/w synth.
I was thinking more in terms of Omnisphere being it's own thing (which doesn't really have a lot to do with a Prophet or Voyager etc)
Anway, I know the problem is that *I* don't get it - rather than it not being a good idea ;)

DrGonzo
KVRAF
2175 posts since 24 Oct, 2000 from A Swede Living in Budapest

Re: Omnisphere 2.5 Released

Post Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:35 am

I am so super excited about 2.5 and I will try to explain why.

First off - I doubt that Omnisphere 2.5 will nail the sound of a Virus A/B, Nord Lead 1/2, the Boutiques etc. It's too damn complex for them to nail it with the basic building blocks in Omnisphere. I've been trying to do this for years - sample a synth then try to replicate it with the envelopes and filters in Omnisphere. You can get into a similar ball-park, but it requires quite a lot of a/b-ing and additional EQ:ing etc. If any of you have worked with the unison engine in Omnisphere you know it got a life of its own. It's not like any other unison engines. Do a supersaw in Omnisphere and do it in any other software - different worlds. Load up a sawtooth in a Virus and play. Do the same with the Omnisphere oscillators. Load up a Virus saw and compare. Different. The effects in the virus and the effects in Omnisphere are sonically very different.

So I think that while 2.5 brings you into the spiritual ballpark of the hardware synths - but it will still taste and feel like Omnisphere.

But why I am so excited has probably more to do with my personal way of making sounds - to use those hardware profiles as the starting point. I mean... get the sound quickly the way you want it, and then dive deep into Omnisphere.

I have to hold myself hard not to go out on an insane shopping spree on eBay just to get a bunch of controllers :dog: :lol:

/C
Plughugger Sound Design
ELEKTRONIQ for OMNISPHERE
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Roland S750/DJ70 - Ensoniq ASR10/EPSm

martinjuenke
KVRAF
3285 posts since 28 Dec, 2015 from Hanover, Germany

Post Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:07 pm

It‘s not all gold that glitters:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=510675
:dog:

Flowing atmospheric music
http://www.sonoryth.bandcamp.com/music

vurt
addled muppet weed
42966 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:21 pm

martinjuenke wrote:It‘s not all gold that glitters:
yeah we got it in the last 10 omni threads, you don't like it.

martinjuenke
KVRAF
3285 posts since 28 Dec, 2015 from Hanover, Germany

Post Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:23 pm

vurt wrote:
You‘re really attentive ! :tu:

Flowing atmospheric music
http://www.sonoryth.bandcamp.com/music

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
6148 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:40 pm

iPlogger wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
iPlogger wrote:It was definitely nice to see the GUI immediately switch to the appropriate page.
Speaking of this feature, is there any way to shut it off? I don't recall this happening in the beta but I found it very annoying yesterday.
I don't recall it being in the beta either. I think it was a surprise announcement for the official release. I don't know if you can turn off the feature.
Just found out that feature can be disabled after all! Click on the HW button, then down at the bottom of the pop-up menu, there's an option that's called something like "Link HW to Omnisphere GUI" or something like that. Turn that off.

I was looking for this in the settings menu. Never occurred to me to look in the HW menu itself.

zvenx
KVRAF
6968 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from Kingston, Jamaica

Post Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:59 pm

zvenx wrote:There is a link something or other in the hw menu. I don't have a hardware to test but maybe that?

@echoes, I thought it was filters in series, which would affect the sound but not the parameters of the next filter in the chain. I assume u tested that.

Rsp
whistling :)
sound sculptist

acYm
KVRian
904 posts since 11 Sep, 2015

Post Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:13 pm

well, if all the targeted omnisphere parameters do have nrpn support then yeah I guess it can deliver a good enough tactile experience. still not bidirectional, and therefore annoying though.

that's why automation-based solutions are the way forward.

which is also why it's so alarming that the godawful KK is being considered a good automation-based standard
beely wrote:Synth control of software is, and has always been, terrible, and *any* efforts made to push the paradigm forward is hugely welcome in my boog.
well here's the thing - there are already on the market two different systems that allow full, intuitive control of every VST plugin, one is Kore and the other is Automap. for those of us who know these systems, the idea of using a $5K synth to control omnisphere in order to make it sound like the synth is kinda funny/weird.

Jeezo
KVRist
41 posts since 25 Nov, 2015

Post Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:54 am

andrew71 wrote:
Jeezo wrote:
andrew71 wrote:Is anyone seeing long times for the user interface to reflect patch changes in Cubase? I'm finding that it is taking ten or more seconds when changing between patches for the new patch name and settings to be displayed. The patch is playable very quickly, but the GUI is very slow to show the new details. I took part in the beta and didn't notice this problem.

In the standalone application, the GUI updates immediately. This only seems to affect me inside Cubase, version 9.0.40.
exactly the same here with studio one 4 , it's runnng o on 3.5 and sonar platnum , something wrong with the graphcal engine versus asio engine priority or some lie that , even S1 meterng ect freeze durng this

don't mess you're cubase install , it's omnpshere
Sorry to hear that you are having problems too. After checking my laptop with Cubase 9.0.40, where everything ran as normal, I appear to have got to the bottom of my problem.

A while ago Cubase was freezing for me quite regularly, the user interface became completely unresponsive but audio would continue playing. The only way out of this problem was to kill the Cubase process and restart. The recommendation that I found was to set Cubase to run in compatibility mode with Windows 8 or earlier, which I did and the problem seemed to happen much less after that.

I just removed the compatibility option from Cubase and Omnisphere 2.5's performance is back to normal. Time will tell whether my Cubase freezing issue will return...
Thks Andrew , i cheked all auth options and compatibility mods here , i'm on Windows 8.1 , the thing s that i double checked to be sure to have the same configuarton as for studio one 3.5 ....

Since Trillian and even keyscape plays well after the update on S1 4 ... i really think it's a Omni 2.5 issue .

SJ_Digriz
KVRAF
5942 posts since 5 Jul, 2001 from Just about .... there

Post Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:11 am

Is the HW control relative or does it jump to the value the controller is at when you touch it?
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

BMoore
Banned
1586 posts since 19 Aug, 2011

Post Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:16 am

martinjuenke wrote:
vurt wrote:
You‘re really attentive ! :tu:
You’re making sure we don’t have to be.

And this hardware integration is also about expanding the possibilities of your current hardware. Polyphony, effects, modulations, etc.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
6148 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:52 am

SJ_Digriz wrote:Is the HW control relative or does it jump to the value the controller is at when you touch it?
Jumps.

el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
11462 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Post Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:09 am

When the gui expands, does the preset list in the browser show more rows and columns?

noiseboyuk
KVRAF
2610 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Post Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:15 am

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:When the gui expands, does the preset list in the browser show more rows and columns?
Do you mean magnification? If so no. If you mean the side minibrowser introduced in v2, when you click the full browser it expands to the wider width anyway if it in a collapsed state.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.afterschoolvideoclub.com/
W10 Pro Creators Edition, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2018 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 9
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD

SJ_Digriz
KVRAF
5942 posts since 5 Jul, 2001 from Just about .... there

Post Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:16 am

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:Is the HW control relative or does it jump to the value the controller is at when you touch it?
Jumps.
Well then it's back on the not buying list. But thanks for answering.

WTF is with all of this MIDI integration talk for all the VSTi and something as basic as relative/takeover/scaled response modes are not available? What good is the integration if you can't change a patch without f**king it up?
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Return to “Instruments”