Omnisphere 2.5 Released

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
noiseboyuk
KVRAF
2610 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Post Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:29 am

andrew71 wrote:I'm also sitting on an upgrade to 9.5, hoping to delay activating it long enough so that I can take advantage of a potential grace period for Cubase 10 updates.
I'm in exactly the same boat! Hoping mine can hold it together for long enough...
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.afterschoolvideoclub.com/
W10 Pro Creators Edition, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2018 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 9
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
6491 posts since 12 May, 2008

Re: Omnisphere 2.5 Released

Post Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:31 am

So is the idea with the shared signal path that it doesn’t matter which layer you are on, it’s filters and other shared controls act as one? So if you put the filter to max while on the layer a screen, then switch to b, the filter will be where you left it on a? Hopefully, otherwise it would be weird.

The shared shared signal path is great though, it actually handles one of my biggest complaints of Omnisphere prior to this version which is that you could not route the two layers through one filter.

And even though the granular is just a visual thing, I’ll be much more inclined to use it as it’s helpful to see where you are moving the playback position relative to transients and swells etc. I can’t believe bitwig is releasing their fixed midi channel stuff and the inproved sampler at the same time as Omnisphere is getting its update. Both while I don’t have my set up going.

As for a remaining wish for Omnisphere, I do believe now more than ever that they need a trilian like macro page for their new hardware profiles. Doesn’t have to look just like then hardware but a similar layout wth generic controls and background. It would be so much more useful for lots of people who don’t have the hardware as you would get the more immediate single screen layout like the hardware.

Oh one other wish would be a link feature for the parts just like it works for layers. It could be a main menu item. This would be useful if you copied the same patch across all parts and wanted your edits on one part to happen to all parts.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

noiseboyuk
KVRAF
2610 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Post Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:42 am

Shared path - it does work as you say, except visually it doesn't keep up. Tweak the cutoff in A, it affects B-D. Switch to B and it looks like it hasn't been changed, but touch cutoff and the sound jumps from where it really was to where you've just turned the knob. So that's not ideal.

The macro controls would be great a la Trilian. They could either just offer a selection of the more unique controls, or spread it across a few tabs.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.afterschoolvideoclub.com/
W10 Pro Creators Edition, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2018 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 9
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD

Kinh
KVRian
1195 posts since 26 Aug, 2012

Post Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:06 am

F#ck!

iPlogger
KVRian
697 posts since 27 Oct, 2011 from Pacific Northwest

Post Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:48 am

noiseboyuk wrote:
padillac wrote:Is there a way to easily see what those CC / NRPN messages are so we can start mapping our generic controllers?)
I think the only way really is to look up the midi implementation tables for the synths.
Exactly what Noiseboyuk mentioned. When I've done MIDI controller work in the past, I looked for manuals which have contained the keyboard's MIDI implementation.

The other day I was twisting random knobs on my controller, and they happened to map perfectly to some of the controls in Omnisphere. It was definitely nice to see the GUI immediately switch to the appropriate page.

Jeezo
KVRist
41 posts since 25 Nov, 2015

Post Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:52 am

andrew71 wrote:Is anyone seeing long times for the user interface to reflect patch changes in Cubase? I'm finding that it is taking ten or more seconds when changing between patches for the new patch name and settings to be displayed. The patch is playable very quickly, but the GUI is very slow to show the new details. I took part in the beta and didn't notice this problem.

In the standalone application, the GUI updates immediately. This only seems to affect me inside Cubase, version 9.0.40.
exactly the same here with studio one 4 , it's runnng o on 3.5 and sonar platnum , something wrong with the graphcal engine versus asio engine priority or some lie that , even S1 meterng ect freeze durng this

don't mess you're cubase install , it's omnpshere

dreamkeeper
KVRian
844 posts since 24 Jan, 2006 from Universe #5346198720

Post Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:30 am

Anyone else seeing high-ish CPU usage with the granular display?

Just load sample source and go to grain tab. In stand-alone I'm looking at ~15% - just sitting there, doing nothing. As plug-in, it's not as bad, but still around 4-5%. Adjusting any grain parameters doesn't change anything. Goes down again when leaving the grain tab.

XEON E3-1231v3, 3.4 Ghz - Win7 64bit - all readings from task manager
The hole is deeper than the hum of its farts

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
6148 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:21 am

iPlogger wrote:It was definitely nice to see the GUI immediately switch to the appropriate page.
Speaking of this feature, is there any way to shut it off? I don't recall this happening in the beta but I found it very annoying yesterday. Just because I'm twisting the oscillators waveform knob doesn't mean I actually need or even want to go to the oscillator magnify page.

andrew71
KVRist
469 posts since 16 Jun, 2003

Post Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:22 am

Jeezo wrote:
andrew71 wrote:Is anyone seeing long times for the user interface to reflect patch changes in Cubase? I'm finding that it is taking ten or more seconds when changing between patches for the new patch name and settings to be displayed. The patch is playable very quickly, but the GUI is very slow to show the new details. I took part in the beta and didn't notice this problem.

In the standalone application, the GUI updates immediately. This only seems to affect me inside Cubase, version 9.0.40.
exactly the same here with studio one 4 , it's runnng o on 3.5 and sonar platnum , something wrong with the graphcal engine versus asio engine priority or some lie that , even S1 meterng ect freeze durng this

don't mess you're cubase install , it's omnpshere
Sorry to hear that you are having problems too. After checking my laptop with Cubase 9.0.40, where everything ran as normal, I appear to have got to the bottom of my problem.

A while ago Cubase was freezing for me quite regularly, the user interface became completely unresponsive but audio would continue playing. The only way out of this problem was to kill the Cubase process and restart. The recommendation that I found was to set Cubase to run in compatibility mode with Windows 8 or earlier, which I did and the problem seemed to happen much less after that.

I just removed the compatibility option from Cubase and Omnisphere 2.5's performance is back to normal. Time will tell whether my Cubase freezing issue will return...

zvenx
KVRAF
6968 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from Kingston, Jamaica

Post Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:26 am

Thanks for sharing the update.
rsp
sound sculptist

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

Post Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:07 am

noiseboyuk wrote:Shared path - it does work as you say, except visually it doesn't keep up. Tweak the cutoff in A, it affects B-D. Switch to B and it looks like it hasn't been changed, but touch cutoff and the sound jumps from where it really was to where you've just turned the knob. So that's not ideal.
This seems like a huge oversight. So making small adjustments means you constantly have to go back to the same layer to adjust the shared settings. Really surprised by this. Definitely worth reporting.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

iPlogger
KVRian
697 posts since 27 Oct, 2011 from Pacific Northwest

Post Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:52 am

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
iPlogger wrote:It was definitely nice to see the GUI immediately switch to the appropriate page.
Speaking of this feature, is there any way to shut it off? I don't recall this happening in the beta but I found it very annoying yesterday.
I don't recall it being in the beta either. I think it was a surprise announcement for the official release. I don't know if you can turn off the feature.

zvenx
KVRAF
6968 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from Kingston, Jamaica

Post Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:01 pm

There is a link something or other in the hw menu. I don't have a hardware to test but maybe that?

@echoes, I thought it was filters in series, which would affect the sound but not the parameters of the next filter in the chain. I assume u tested that.

Rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

Post Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:04 pm

zvenx wrote:There is a link something or other in the hw menu. I don't have a hardware to test but maybe that?

@echoes, I thought it was filters in serious, which would affect the sound but not the parameters of the next filter in the chain. I assume u tested that.

Rsp
As mentioned above it isn’t separate filters in series. It makes there be only one filter and other shared elements. Having different visual knob positions for what is the same filter doesnt make sense though.

dreamkeeper
KVRian
844 posts since 24 Jan, 2006 from Universe #5346198720

Post Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:22 pm

zvenx wrote:@echoes, I thought it was filters in serious, which would affect the sound but not the parameters of the next filter in the chain. I assume u tested that.
That is, say in A I have a lowpass and I filter off everything above 12khz, if B also has a lowpass, it anychanges I make with its cutoff above 12khz would have as much effect audible unless I move it below 12khz.
Rsp
As far as I can tell, there is no filter chain in shared mode - just one (dual-)filter. Adjusting parameters on any layer page only ever affects the same (shared) filter. They should really prevent switching to the filter pages of the layers B to D - at least make sure that the other layers' displays update properly.

edit: yeah - echoes beat me...
The hole is deeper than the hum of its farts

Return to “Instruments”