One Synth Challenge #115: Seismic by Syntonica (L-Ectrobit Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Seismic

What a fascinating synthesizer! :o
This must be one of the most uniquely designed synths we've done in a while. :hyper:
It's going to take some twiddling to get comfy with this one.
"WannaBe: Somewhat akin to the Waveshaper, but with a fake British accent."
Ah, that clears things up a bit :lol:

Remember not to use the sampler, including that kick preset that uses a classic casio sample.

I solved my initial crashing issue by placing the the .dll outside of the Seismic folder, which I read to do in the manual.
quick, _ake what you want in life

That synth's going to be hilarious fun...where's the Version with 25 Nodes ;-) I need more Nodes ;-)
After fiddling 30 minutes with it I think I now understand how LFOs work and next is to get a bit more grip on how Envs work. Then it's going to be all about creativity. Even the Filter crackles should hopefully be usable in a creative way. If you can't make them disapear, adopt them and make them yours ;-)
I played around with it in Bitwig, even used the DAW LFOs to modulate Knobs. That worked pretty well. I got only one crash and that was when I out of accident tried to modulate the Mixer algorithm.

Frostline wrote: Also on the LP filters there is a loud click/distortion of the sound whenever the cutoff is set near the lower limit of the range. Very noticable if using one node to automate the mod1 knob of a connected node that has the filter.
That, unfortunately, is a feature of the filters. They tend to break down at extremes. Due to the resonance and how it affects the low end, I have the choice of limiting the settings, resulting in bland filters that don't really sound that good, or slightly dangerous ones that sometimes glitch at the edge cases. To compensate, just tone down the depth of the sweep a bit.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

[quote="] I got only one crash and that was when I out of accident tried to modulate the Mixer algorithm.[/quote]
Hmm, that shouldn't be allowed. It was originally a feature, but switching between mixers at high speed was far too unstable, and honestly, didn't sound any better than a really bad sample & hold.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

574X wrote: Remember not to use the sampler, including that kick preset that uses a classic casio sample.
I thought you could use the samples that were included. That's too bad. :(

bh9090 wrote: Crash report attached. Didn't get a copy of the patch, but it's happened on a number of them. (oh - and same result in Reaper for mac., so not just on Live)
Thanks! Unfortunately, it hasn't been helpful. I'm not quite sure where the error is happening (which mixer).

TO ALL:
To report a bug, just send me a screenshot of your patch along with your OS and DAW versions. Please message me direct rather than (or in addition to) posting to this thread as I tend to lose things in threads...

If you can't do a screenshot, copy and paste the patch in. I need to be able to reproduce the bug to find it and it usually only takes me a minute or two to actually fix it!

My apologies to everybody who is running into problems, but honestly, nobody has reported any issues until now. Go figure. :lol:
Last edited by syntonica on Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[quote="] where's the Version with 25 Nodes ;-) I need more Nodes ;-)[/quote]
The 4x4 version is ready to go, except for presets.
The 5x5 version still needs some coding in the GUI department to place the nodes.
However, right now, the focus is on a bug-free 3x3 version. :neutral: :)

Edit:
PETER H.! You're a very naughty boy! Get those square brackets out of your name right meow!

Frostline wrote:Crashes quite often for me in Reaper 5.941 x64 Win10x64.
Also other than the opening preset none of the others seem to work.
None have a scale selected.
I just did a quick test with your setup and not seeing any issues. Are you seeing patch names or <Bad Patch>?

Please do a reinstall. You can rename the main folder, if you wish, but the contents need to stay in the same folder together if you move them:

Seismic32.dll
Seismic64.dll
Seismic <-Folder, which contains all the support files. The plugin looks next to it, at the same level, for this folder.

Also, see the manual for an important Reaper setting change. Otherwise, returns (and possibly other keystrokes won't be caught.)

syntonica wrote: I just did a quick test with your setup and not seeing any issues. Are you seeing patch names or <Bad Patch>?
Neither. In the patch load screen it just shows numbers for the patches then when selected and main GUI is back it shows a patch name.
syntonica wrote: Please do a reinstall. You can rename the main folder, if you wish, but the contents need to stay in the same folder together if you move them:

Seismic32.dll
Seismic64.dll
Seismic <-Folder, which contains all the support files. The plugin looks next to it, at the same level, for this folder.
Strangely Seismic does not like to be deleted in order to reinstall it.
With DAW closed Windows still reports files in the folder are in use. In use where/how I wonder.
Rebooting computer finally allowed previous install deletion.
Extracted zip to new location, previously had simply overwritten existing files from older install. This is probably the root cause of the issues.
Patches now show names instead of numbers in the load screen and they play, so I assume this fixes it.
Thank you for the assistance.
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

I can predictably crash Reaper (Windows 7 x64) with Seismic64 when moving MIDI notes in the MIDI Editor during playback with factory "Kick Back" patch loaded. Make sure all "preview" options actions are ON in MIDI Editor section of action list. Use "Move notes up one semitone" action (and down version). 32 bit bridged version is not crashing in this situation.

Also, the 64 bit plugin window gets focused as soon as the mouse cursor passes within its boundaries. No clicking required. The 32 bit bridged version requires a click to focus it, which is better, I would say.

_A_O_ wrote:I can predictably crash Reaper (Windows 7 x64) with Seismic64 when moving MIDI notes in the MIDI Editor during playback with factory "Kick Back" patch loaded. Make sure all "preview" options actions are ON in MIDI Editor section of action list. Use "Move notes up one semitone" action (and down version). 32 bit bridged version is not crashing in this situation.

Also, the 64 bit plugin window gets focused as soon as the mouse cursor passes within its boundaries. No clicking required. The 32 bit bridged version requires a click to focus it, which is better, I would say.
Ugh. Only Reaper... :lol: For now, can you turn off the preview?
It's the Env A/R causing the ruckus, and it seems to be only Reaper doing it, even on the Mac side, due to its preview mode and how it handles notes on/off. I seem to have it fixed, so it will be in the forthcoming update.

Regarding the window focus issue, I'll have to look at it from a UIX point of view, how other plugins behave. To my mind, having to click first for focus is very annoying, making me click things twice to make an adjustment.

BUGS REPORT
So far:
1) Pitch bend bug. Workaround: don't touch that dial!
2) Env A/R in Reaper. Workaround: turn off the preview mode for moving/adding notes.
Both should be fixed in the next update.
I think I'll shoot for Friday to release the update. Hopefully, if there are any more bugs running round, they'll get reported quickly. Thanks!

I notice I can crash that patch by swiping the mouse across the Virtual MIDI Keyboard as well. Record arm obviously has to be engaged in Reaper for this version of the crash, but transport can be stopped.

The focus behavior I mentioned is very uncommon I think. I can't think of another plugin that does that. Actually I do seem to recall one I tried did that, but can't think which one it was at the moment. Don't have to click twice in a plugin window to adjust something. Window gets focus immediately on mouse button down. (I have noticed different behaviors regarding focus when using mouse wheel. U-he products windows get focused by using mouse wheel over knobs, for example, some other brands don't.)

For now I concentrate on sound design, which is a good strategy anyway.
Regarding the PB bug: I cannot not touch that wheel, I play a Linnstrument, it will always bend the pitch, that is the whole point of having fun with synths...; - )
Now the benefits of Bitwig really start to shine, if the plug-in crashes, I only need to reload it, which is fast. I can setup a layer to play it in MPE mode. I can modulate any parameter even from outside...

Damn, I played around with it for a bit, and I have a feeling this is the kind of synth that can give you just about every sound imaginable.

I always start my explorations with a French Horn, just to get the hang of envelopes, lfo's and filters, and I got this beautiful, revolving horn with a slight wave detune and a perfect attack. And now I regret announcing my OSC vacation last month. :lol:
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

The best sound design and composing happens during vacation anyway...
Just come back before the deadline...; - )

Return to “Instruments”