One Synth Challenge #115: Seismic by Syntonica (L-Ectrobit Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Seismic

løkken wrote:I have a question about this synth. Is there any way to get detuned sounds without using the "Detune Note" block? I want to get a detuned mono sound, but nothing seems to work. Detune Node + Monoizer for some reason produces stereo output. Any attempts to use FM to get pitch variations are also unsuccessful. I suppose the author of the synth has his own definition of the "frequency modulation" term. When the carrier is a sine wave FM shouldn't generate any additional harmonics, but in this synth it does.
FM is true FM, not what everyone else thinks is FM. To be honest, it looks like phase modulation (PM) is missing, but it's been so long since I looked at all the different types of modulation, I'm not sure what's what anymore. I'm adding it to my to do list here with a number of other additions. It may be I just need to rename some things a bit.

Detune Note works by adding two detuned copies of each wave1 and wave2, so a total of six waves are added together for each channel. The Monoizer still makes a stereo wave (i.e. it has a right and left channel) but the are identical, the original channels mixed together according to the knob placements. Seismic's audio path is always stereo, even down to the envelopes! (You can use the Split mixer to take the left channel from one wave, the right channel from another wave and use that as an envelope wave.)
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Tj Shredder wrote:Nice, please make it longer, just too short to fall into a state of trance...
Thanks for your encouraging comment, Tj. I've already added some more bits to the WIP today, check out the current Version on Soundcloud. It's the same link as in my previous post. I plan to make it about 3 or 4 minutes in the final version...

Get some inspiration from Stephan Bodzins Boiler Room set and make it to 8 minutes...; - )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv_oF2ol_Ks

Well, things are finally back to abnormal and I was looking forward to this month, but Seismic crashed my system so hard that I had to reinstall my interface drivers to get anything working again. I got an error message about some sort of heap corruption detection Seismic64 dll.

went to work on this:
https://soundcloud.com/the-never-scene/ ... st/s-5N0e1

only to find this (probably an improvement though, especially the drums!):
https://soundcloud.com/the-never-scene/ ... -2/s-unRuY

Definitely have to pass on this one unless it gets sorted. Was liking the synth except for the seismic nightmare.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

TheNeverScene wrote:Well, things are finally back to abnormal and I was looking forward to this month, but Seismic crashed my system so hard that I had to reinstall my interface drivers to get anything working again. I got an error message about some sort of heap corruption detection Seismic64 dll.

went to work on this:
https://soundcloud.com/the-never-scene/ ... st/s-5N0e1

only to find this (probably an improvement though, especially the drums!):
https://soundcloud.com/the-never-scene/ ... -2/s-unRuY

Definitely have to pass on this one unless it gets sorted. Was liking the synth except for the seismic nightmare.
Sorry to hear about the crash. Heap is just general use memory allotted to programs, so a heap corruption error is somewhat random. Which OS and DAW are you using?
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Windows 7 64bit Reaper 4.9ish.

There were multiple crashes...but things seemed to hold together until the last one lol

The heap message came after all the reinstalling and restarting when I went back to work on the track. Something about Seismic wrote to memory after end of heap buffer.

TheNeverScene wrote:Windows 7 64bit Reaper 4.9ish.

There were multiple crashes...but things seemed to hold together until the last one lol

The heap message came after all the reinstalling and restarting when I went back to work on the track. Something about Seismic wrote to memory after end of heap buffer.
Thanks. I'll go poke Reaper with a stick and see if I can make anything happen.

Correction: Reaper 5, not 4.

Also had one Reaper 5 crash when I was doing my track. Probably my fault though as I was moving the tracks around, setting up folders, adding sends etc -all whiles the 14 instances were active! Should have done more stop/play and save! Otherwise, didn't have a huge problem (i7 8700K, 32GB Ram).

Will still update with more melody harmonies when I have time/feel better.

dB

Yeah, my crashes went like this:
Installed Seismic the other night.
Opened Reaper, loaded up Seismic, hit a key....instant automute then crash.
Reopened Reaper, loaded up Seismic followed by gclip, initialized Seismic then hit a key...no crash (or sound obviously)
Started messing around making sounds and Reaper would crash every 30 minutes or so over a few hours.
Next day, went to open another project and Reaper would crash on open. Went through a bunch of hoops and finally got Reaper working again.
Opened up my Seismic track and found the greatest glitch track of all time haha Rendered it for fun, closed Reaper and got the heap error message. Oddly enough, heap is one of my favorite words, but not in this case!

After spending about hour and playing with synth I found that it crash a lot for me. Quite randomly while creating preset. FLstudio report crash and disabled plugin. Sometimes after reload it crash whole FLstudio (version 12.5.1 win 7).

Some findings during that time:
Longer decay setting (above 1s) cause instance to go completely silent. Need to set it back to zero and it again work. Scaling UI not wotk since it doesn't change window size properly, so with 150% setting I see only about half of plugin. Values in original size are hard to read.

So too much random crashes means no way to make something like that. So I have to skip this one. :scared:

I'm with ya Trojak. Stinks because I was starting to get how the nodes worked and experiment with the different mixer modes. Synth really sounds great and has a ton of potential, so glad that not everyone is being crashed out.

Have y'all installed the latest version posted last Friday night? The only extant bug should be with Windows Live and apparently, the issue lies with Live and I need to make a workaround. Remember just to unzip the folder and use as is. Do not move anything around inside.

Just a couple of notes from my Seismic adventures:

It has crashed my DAW a couple of times - very unusual, as I've only had a handful of crashes with my current setup for nearly a year now. No major issues, though - mostly it happens when I'm dragging a new instance of Seismic to the project.

Also, the sound blanks out every time I assign an instrument to multiple tracks - not a total blackout, just the instrument in question.

On another note, OSC in general has opened my eyes to the fact that I used to be a total chorus and doubler effects addict! Used to pop it on everything for instant width and fullness. Very sobering and useful to work with synths without these kinds of effects.

I think Seismic reminded me of that, because it sort of allows you to build your own chorus from scratch (everything except the time shift, I guess? I'm not quite sure where choruses end and doublers and detuners begin, to be honest).

I'm on Win10, Studio One 3.5.5 x64.
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Just to point out … I am still using the version from the original notification! The crash for me happened after a few hours of working OK - so probably memory/heap management issues - given I have 32GB RAM, maybe it's a slow leak and took quite some time to grab all my RAM?

Windows 10, fully patched with anything MS has thrown at me. Task manager 18% with 14 instances of Seismic. - 9% RT cpu and 9% FX cpu in Reaper Performance View - moving the master fx to a normal track reduces the RT cpu to 0.8%!

Will try to get those harmonies done - I promise

dB

Return to “Instruments”