One Synth Challenge #115: Seismic by Syntonica (L-Ectrobit Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Seismic

:help: Can somebody share a recipe for a nice decent dark pad? I don't know, struggeling with Seismic here a bit. A good pad would be the only element I would love to add to some parts of my track,a t least try if it can do it soemthing good...But whenever I start to go for a pad, I get another weird and absolutely tremendous sound...but never a pad :bang:
BTW - what do you think about the current version? I've added a lot more punch to the BDR and various little FX sounds.

Hmm ... I think for a dark pad you won't get around the global LP filter because I think that's what were gonna expect to listen to when we think of dark pad. Is this dark enough?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Peter:H wrote:BTW - what do you think about the current version? I've added a lot more punch to the BDR and various little FX sounds.
Good Job on that! I like it.

BTW this is off-topic, but I am listening to some entries of OSC#13. Deliciously musical! :phones: My personal favourites are places 2 and 5 from that playlist. I'm afraid none of those guys appeared to be around in recent OSCs --- okay, those tracks are more than 8 years old!

Anyone else had a message from Soundcloud about someone trying to change their password?

Not sure why anyone would want to hack my Soundcloud account! Probably thinking that if they hack that one then I might use the same password elsewhere? Which I don't, of course!!!

Just a warning that "thur's hackers aboot"! :dog:

dB

B'cuz there's no new messages, I'll hijack this one to say I have changed my track a lot according to suggestions (other than "drop the cheese"!).

Limiter No6. has gone and in place LoudMax with only the slightest hint of action, the reverb is much reduced all round and the instruments remixed. Finally, I turned back the effect of Ferric substantially, and now only add a little dynamics and saturation.

DR is now 11, from a 6!!! Hope it sounds better than before (mix wise of course). A SEISMIC SHIFT indeed!

https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/seismic-shift

Hey guys, I'm a bit confused about the generally accepted "lets not use a part of the synth", ie the built-in samples.

I feel like using those would in no way violate the spirit of the competition, and could easily be audited if people suspected wrong-doing.

The samples are a part of the synth, they're built in, and they are a piece of the unique character of the synth.

I'm absolutely against loading in your own samples, but using the ones included with the synth really just makes sense to me.
Disco flangus shenanigans

C'mon! No one else to say sth. about this? Well, I think Mechanought is right. There is no rule that forbids us to use the builtin samples. The rule says
No use of samples, sample libraries or live sounds (like voice, guitar etc allowed).
This relates to the rather obvious stuff like voice recordings, or additional sample packs that one could download and load into a synth if it had the possibility to do so (like some previous synths did), e.g. Fathom.

It is only what 547X wrote that possibly no one (including myself) so far has used the builtin sampler. But it hasn't been an official rule. I see the sampler with its included Samples as a feature of the synth which should be allowed. I won't judge anyone to use it.

This question, whether the sampling feature of a synth should be allowed, has been around in many of the recent OSCs. And I can understand that people are annoyed of it to discuss it every time again. I think in the early days of OSC, the focus was mainly on synths that didn't have the capabilities to process samples. Most of them had a bunch of synthesized/builtin wave cycles and that's it.

I think we could really use a rule adaption to cope with this trend, that synthesizers have larger waveforms included / are capable of loading samples. Two suggestions:
  • All samples that are shipped with the plugin (either builtin or installed together with it) are allowed. Single cycles can be customized as much as you want. No additional samples are allowed except for usage as single cycles.
  • All samples that are shipped with the plugin (either builtin or installed together with it) are allowed. Single cycles can be customized, but only with the waveforms / samples that are shipped with the synth, and within the synth, of course. No external software must be used to create single cycles out of the included samples.
The first suggestion has the advantage that it allows what I and others (e.g. ]Peter:H[ :D ) have been doing in the past will still be allowed. We have used samples to create single cycles and have loaded them into e.g. Fathom, Zebralette, Thorn etc.
The second suggestion has the advantage that it is more "pure" in a sense that sounds are really synthesized with what the synth brings with it. Although some of my past actions will be illegal with this rule, I prefer it.

With the first suggestion you could load a sample as single cycle and play the note so low, that essentially the sample is played back. So that would not be in the spirit of OSC.

Any thoughts on that?

BC thats rather a General OSC question, discussion about this will be held in the General OSC thread
Last edited by Carl_saved on Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

+1

Hello everybody, newcomer here :D
So, it is my first time doing an OSC, and I have to admit Seismic has been quite an interesting beast to tame (tame is a bold word - still haven't figured out half of the stuff in there)!

The track is a spaced out techno-ish thingy, it still need quite some polish, but all the important stuff is present: if you have any feedback/criticism/suggestions i'd be überglad!

That said, here's the spec list:

DAW Ableton Live X

19x Seismic vst (no samples used)
16x Live's Eq (one on master track)
13x Live's Reverb (chorus modulation deactivated, early reflections spin active - let me know if it's a problem!)
11x Live's Compressor (most of them for sidechain)
2x Live's Utility (for stereo width & gain control)
1x Live's Ping Pong Delay

1x Limiter (on master track)
4x MIDI Pitch Transpose ('cause laziness)

There are also some automations, principally on Seismic's master lp and on utility's gain.

Aaaaaand here's the track:

https://soundcloud.com/fuffolo/fuffolo- ... 15-seismic

Have fun and good luck y'all c:

] De:leted [
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I am totally on a cheese track for that one :oops: :D
I've seen some people in the OSC Slack channel talking about FM challenge.

Tom, ta, tom, tom - my September OSC entry! I think what's happened here is that I may have watched one too many episodes of '8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown' (no, no... there's probably no need to look it up). I had to work pretty damn hard to get my sounds in the beginning - I felt a lot of resistance from the Seismic.

But once I got the hang of it, it was the gift that kept on giving - so props to Syntonica for creating something unique that certainly forced *me* to think outside the box. Or inside the boxes, as it were. A vowel, please, Rachel!

https://soundcloud.com/terjefjelde/leibnizs-law

DAW: Studio One Professional 3.5.5
Seismic: 25 instances, all from scratch – no internal/external samples

Master chain:
Sleepy-Time Stereo Channel -> BootEQmkII -> Crosstalk -> DD Reverb -> ProEQ ->Limiter6

Other effects:
ProEQ: 7x
Mixtool: 6x
BarkofDog2: 3x
BitterSweet: 1x
DD Compressor: 1x
Stone Voices Ambient Reverb: 2x
Sanford Reverb (no mod.): 1x
HY-Delay: 3x
Cocoa Delay: 1x

Loudness, etc.
EBU R-128 -11.9/ Range (3.3)
Global RMS (AES) (-10.7)
BPM: 160
Recorded: Sep 1-25, 2018
Mixdown: Sep 25, 2018
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Damn, in the Mist of the 1000 Mixdowns Fog, I uploaded a pre-limited version to Soundcloud.

Fixed - apologies to my first downloader for dull sound.
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

my participation

https://soundcloud.com/jules-muly/new-k ... ck-automne

DAW : FL studio
12 Seismic
0 effects

Hey folks,
here my submission for this month: My seismic heart

I think, you know this situation: In search of an additional timbre, you discover a new exciting sound :hyper: . But unfortunately it doesn't fit to the halfdone track :( . Now you develop a complete new track for this sound ....

So I did, when I found this sax-like sound :wink:

https://soundcloud.com/rockingricky/my-seismic-heart

13 instances in Cubase elements

DAW-FX:
Brickwall limiter
RoomWorks reverb
Tube Compressor

Other free FX:

Sanford Bass Tightener
Sanford Delay
QuickHaas
OTT_x64