Native Instruments Massive X Synth - Sequel to Massive (Out Now!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Massive Massive X X-Squared For Massive X

BONES wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:06 am
perfumer wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:59 amTrue, because the 101 is the worst, right? Riiight?!
No, TB303 is the worst sounding synth I have ever owned.
Speechless!

vurt wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:18 pm why anyone would not use reaktor is beyond my imsginstin :o
That one click is just completely unacceptable.
Sure, there is likely to be a huge undefined number of clicks to immediately follow it, but that first one is bullshit.
ImageImageImageImage

highkoo wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:47 am
vurt wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:18 pm why anyone would not use reaktor is beyond my imsginstin :o
Sure, there is likely to be a huge undefined number of clicks to immediately follow it, but that first one is bullshit.
:lol:
No auto tune...

BONES wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:06 amOf course they are objectively terrible - nobody can argue that when you turn the resonance up, the bottom end drops out of the sound. That's not supposed to happen and is, therefore, objectively terrible filter design/implementation.
You're so funny. :)

Who says what's supposed to happen and what's not supposed to happen? It's working exactly as designed and as such you cannot say it's "objectively terrible". You can say it's "subjectively not usable for what you want to do with it", but nothing more than that. There's no such thing as "objectively terrible filter design". When you design a filter, you are always doing some sort of a tradeoff. There's no perfect filter.

It's like blaming elliptic filters for having too much ripple in the passband. Duh, that's what their design is - you get a sharp rolloff, but you get a tradeoff for that.

vurt wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:51 pm
DrEntropy wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:44 pm This thread sure lost focus
not by kvr standards.
were still discussing synths and even ni, usually we are waaaaay past that this many pages in :hihi:
Wait until they reveal it's 64-bit only, that's when the real entertainment begins. :wink:

This is somewhat off-topic, but here goes: I have some questions about how NI approach crossgrades and discounts. I really want Massive X and was looking into crossgradingmy way to Komplete (Ultimate) and was wondering the following:

* When NI do 30/50% discounts, do they also lower the prices of crossgrades? I want to crossgrade into Kontakt 6 and from there to the bigger bundles. I believe they don’t do discounts for upgrades, correct?
* Typically, when do NI drop their prices? Summer/BF/Christmas?

Thanks in advance.

Typically, NI Summer Of Sound sale happens throughout June. Crossgrades, upgrades and version updates for all Kompletes are half price, same for Kontakt, Reaktor and any other plugins that have upgrade options. That has been the way for several years now, however that may change although i expect not.

highkoo wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:47 am
i really should let the spellcheck and autocorrect do their jobs :oops:

So, what was the VR?
Sounds and presets for UVI Falcon "Iterata X".
Bazille soundset - Crystalline Textures 3.

Vitamin R? (as I don't think it requires a Virtual Reality device to use!) :hihi:

Reverb from Valhalla, or vice reversa.
Sounds and presets for UVI Falcon "Iterata X".
Bazille soundset - Crystalline Textures 3.

mutantdog wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:00 pm Typically, NI Summer Of Sound sale happens throughout June. Crossgrades, upgrades and version updates for all Kompletes are half price, same for Kontakt, Reaktor and any other plugins that have upgrade options. That has been the way for several years now, however that may change although i expect not.
Thanks! Appreciated.

liv wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:44 pm So, what was the VR?
vincenzo ricci
the mobs sound designer.

What's this talk of multiple clicks to open a reaktor ensemble? Or presets being annoying? I open any Reaktor ensemble with one click (saved template preset in my DAW) and have a nice preset browser by loading it in Komplete Kontrol. Looks like this with one click:

Nice if you have that luxury but my host doesn't work like that with plugins. I can do that with the native drums and sampler but for everything else I need to load the instrument before I can access any presets.
EvilDragon wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:48 amWho says what's supposed to happen and what's not supposed to happen? It's working exactly as designed...
OK, I will talk you through it. The filter is called a Low Pass filter. By definition that means the frequencies above the cutoff frequency should be attenuated. With me so far? Given that, a low-pass filter that also attenuates low frequencies cannot possibly be working as intended, can it? Therefore, any low-pass filter that attenuates the bass when you increase the resonance is not doing the job it is meant to do. At that stage it effectively becomes a sloppy band-pass filter, which is an entirely different kind of filter. By any measure, surely that makes it a bad low-pass filter, doesn't it?

Furthermore, it doesn't matter whether or not it was intentional, only that it is the way it is. For all we know it was the cheapest solution at the time or the only one Moog thought of. After all, it was one of the first synths with a VCF, so what is the chance he got it right on the first attempt?
and as such you cannot say it's "objectively terrible".
Of course I can because we ALL know how a low-pass filter is meant to function and this low-pass filter doesn't function the way a low-pass filter should. Have I said "low-pass" enough times now for it to finally sink in?
You can say it's "subjectively not usable for what you want to do with it", but nothing more than that.
Again, no. I can definitely say that about something like hard sync in the Korg Minilogue, because "hard sync" doesn't carry with it the expectation of leaving the low-end intact, whereas a low-pass filter absolutely carries that expectation.
There's no such thing as "objectively terrible filter design".
Of course there is and if you are not seeing it by now, then you would have to be a complete idiot.
When you design a filter, you are always doing some sort of a tradeoff. There's no perfect filter.
Of course there is and the qualifications are really simple - do what it's supposed to do. e.g. If it is a low-pass filter, make sure it allows all the low frequencies to pass through, all the time. Job done, perfect filter. Once you get that basic requirement done, you can work on giving it character and making it flexible in other ways, etc.
It's like blaming elliptic filters for having too much ripple in the passband. Duh, that's what their design is - you get a sharp rolloff, but you get a tradeoff for that.
Why do you think nobody uses elliptic filters? Could it be because the compromises are more than anyone wants to deal with, which makes them objectively worse than Butterworth or Chebyshev filters? The fact they were designed that way is irrelevant, they are still rubbish compared to other types of filter. Moreover, when every other low-pass filter can do what it's supposed to do but the MiniMoog's cannot, then either everyone else is wrong and we have to change the definition of "low pass filter" or you have to accept that Moog's lowpass filter is rubbish at being a low-pass filter. Those are the only two options available.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Instruments”