Native Instruments Massive X Synth - Sequel to Massive (Out Now!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Massive Massive X X-Squared For Massive X

Hopefully Massive X will be a lot more CPU friendly (and much easier to work with) than stacking four sets of Reaktor blocks.
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

chk071 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:52 pm Brostep is pure sexism. Someone should invent Sissystep to counteract.
"bitchstep!"
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

BONES wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:58 am
EvilDragon wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:28 pmIn any case, I would say that Leap into the void shows very well what Massive can do, while absolutely not sounding "thing" or "mediocre".
What is "Leap Into the Void"? The things that appear on YouTube are hardly a tour-de-force.
ED is referring to: http://liv.mikaeladle.se/massive.html

Thanks!
Greenstorm33 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:24 am Hopefully Massive X will be a lot more CPU friendly (and much easier to work with) than stacking four sets of Reaktor blocks.
The thing I've noticed with Reaktor is that once you have the engine up and running, adding more instances only increases CPU use incrementally, say from 20% for one instance of TRK-01 to 28% for three instances.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:28 pm In any case, I would say that Leap into the void shows very well what Massive can do, while absolutely not sounding "thing" or "mediocre".
Mikael's massive sets are good, as well as his presets for Absynth.

On a related note,it seems there are a lot of really crappy Massive presets out there, even in some supposedly commercial banks. What's up with that? Have developers decided that the Massive user base has low standards so its not worth putting in any effort?
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

As a new Massive owner (meaning, haven't used it much, grain of salt and all that!), the presets in it and on the soundsets I've heard are not these lush, one-finger-song presets that I've heard on some newer stuff. I think some of that is that the fx aren't as rich as say those in Repro or Dune3 or The Legend (try turning off the fx on the awesome patch "Cinematic Strings" in The Legend to see the impact of the fx on the sound. :)).

I think the "thinner" patches would fare very will sitting in a mix of many tracks (and obviously Massive has done so over the years) but you could say the same for almost any synth I guess.

mumpcake wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:37 am
EvilDragon wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:28 pm In any case, I would say that Leap into the void shows very well what Massive can do, while absolutely not sounding "thing" or "mediocre".
Mikael's massive sets are good, as well as his presets for Absynth.
Thanks.
Sounds and presets for UVI Falcon "Iterata X".
Bazille soundset - Crystalline Textures 3.

I found that most of the presets in Massive and FM8 don't use unison. I usually bump up the unison to 3 or so then I immediately feel the thickness in sound.

Still, there is no such details in the sound when compared to modern synths like Factory and Aparillo.

EnGee wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:15 pm I found that most of the presets in Massive and FM8 don't use unison.
Try this (attached nmsv preset with 6 voices) from soundset "Escapade" and see if you enjoy.
One focus in this set is the unison feature.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sounds and presets for UVI Falcon "Iterata X".
Bazille soundset - Crystalline Textures 3.

When someone say that Massive is bad, thin sounding, digital or can't be used to create this or that sound I instantly know that person who wrote that simply suck as a sound designer :P Massive can sound small, big, fat, thin, warm, cold can be used in every music genre and even simulate real world sound effects and environment. Honestly Massive was one of the most versatile (with simple GUI) synth plugins ever created (now we have more like that). It's not synth that suck but the unskilled operator.
Guys... you should really give some love to your synths and not judge after a few seconds long preset juggling. I know I'm asking for too much: tweaking your synth :P

You don't have to suck as a sound designer to have no interest in trying to coax a decent sound out of an instrument that just doesn't want to do it. The reality is that Massive has been bested by a lot of newer synths, to the point where it is hard for it to keep up. Given that, why would anyone bother with it if they can get good sounds out of something else more easily?

Any half-decent synth can be used in every/any genre, it's not something that would sell a synth to me. What sells a synth to me are impressive sounding presets and good usability. If a synth doesn't have the first, and by today's standards Massive really doesn't, then I'll never get to the second part. I've used it a bit because we got it in a bundle but wherever we have used it for something prominent while we've been working on a song, we've eventually replaced it with something that can do that same thing much better, or at least with a lot less effort.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

pixel85 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:46 pm When someone say that Massive is bad, thin sounding, digital or can't be used to create this or that sound I instantly know that person who wrote that simply suck as a sound designer
Jean Michel Jarre was pretty open about his hatred of the DX7 when it was released, particularly in that it was only good for imitating acoustic instruments.

He must suck as a sound designer...
Sweet child in time...

Massive was released in 2007, over 10 years ago. This thread concerns the imminent release of Massive X or so I thought.

:ud:
바보

Deep Purple wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:29 am
pixel85 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:46 pm When someone say that Massive is bad, thin sounding, digital or can't be used to create this or that sound I instantly know that person who wrote that simply suck as a sound designer
Jean Michel Jarre was pretty open about his hatred of the DX7 when it was released, particularly in that it was only good for imitating acoustic instruments.

He must suck as a sound designer...
Could be he didn't know how to program the DX7. One supposes you're equating it to Massive via "thin-sounding" but 1) they are't the same technology at all and 2) you're arguing w. a fallacious appeal to authority, since we can't really know this person is an authority on DX7 programming.

The first thing I used Massive on in a project was a rich, warm sound. It wasn't mine, but a slight tweak of a factory patch which was already rich. And I got some nice fat synth brass out of the DX7. I thought the same thing when I saw that remark.

Return to “Instruments”