Dmitry Sches' Thorn VI

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

BONES wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:50 pm Yeah, it really is something special, isn't it? Reading these idiots trying to dissect it and carry on reveals their complete lack of understanding of what actually matters.
I ain't calling nobody stupid, because they are not. It's just the difference between book smart and common sense, one is useful to me.

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:01 am
Sorry to be slightly offtopic but don't you have to buy the specific issue it came with?
Nope... it's one of the exclusive CM studio regulars... along with things like Dune_CM, Zebra_CM .. about 80 regular synths and effects... they do have one off specials, like last month IK's White 2A and next month the 8 track Bitwig.

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dasheesh wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:40 amI ain't calling nobody stupid, because they are not. It's just the difference between book smart and common sense, one is useful to me.
I rarely call anyone stupid, just the stupid things they write on forums. It seems, though, that most don't see the difference, which tells me they probably are stupid (because smart people know they sometimes say stupid things).
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Yeah bones... putting aside your ego and accepting new things is a hard thing to do. It's the process I'm going through now. I do agree that comparing oscilloscope wave forms on different types pf instruments is ridiculous. I want different, some folks want the same. It's just where you are at I guess... trying to put aside ego.

Yeah, I've been there, too, but over time you learn and grow. 10 years ago I would never have even considered half the things we are doing now. From the time we first moved from hardware to software up until a few years ago, so over a period of maybe 12 years, I doubt I spent $400 on software. I always figured it was a waste of money and I was really happy with the tools I had and the results we got with them. But then I was trying to kick-start myself to get going on a new album and my bandmate was doing some stuff with some other people and it just made me step out of my comfort zone and try a few things. So now, after having only spent $400 in 12 years, I've easily spent more than a $1000 on software in the last 12 months. And a lot of it stuff I would never have dreamt of spending money on a few years ago, like sample-based instruments (Substance) and Reaktor instruments (TRK-01), which led to buying Maschine and a version of Komplete. At one stage I was thinking we'd become shills for NI, which is just ridiculous. But the lift in quality doing it has given us is incredible and that's all that really matters in the end.

Sorry for the OT but I find this stuff interesting.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Dasheesh wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:13 pm i envision her as a purple haired sweaty goth chick in leather.
:love:

digitalboytn wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:55 pm
Dasheesh wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:13 pm I envision her as a purple haired sweaty goth chick in leather.
With smelly armpits :wink:
*puke*
Way to crap on my fantasies.

ATN69 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:55 pm In my arsenal Thorn is the unrivaled bass synth. I use it for other sounds as well but it really shine when it comes to bass sounds.
Don't tell chk071 that. :hihi:
Last edited by Russell Grand on Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:58 pm
ATN69 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:55 pm In my arsenal Thorn is the unrivaled bass synth. I use it for other sounds as well but it really shine when it comes to bass sounds.
Currently only have the CM version, but I love it for it's plucks :love: :love:
Yes indeed!

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:38 pm With these images I‘d expect Massive aliasing with Massive. Hence the name?
What makes you think so? If the synth used massive antialiasing settings (pun intended) then the spectrum would look very similar (at this resolution). So you cannot really draw conclusions from it.
Passed 303 posts. Next stop: 808.

I upgraded from the CM version (although I used the great Tantra to Thorn deal at Plugin Boutique rather than the CM upgrade route) and I'm pleased with it, but you have to keep its limitations in mind. The aforementioned lack of high end fizz in the lower registers is profound, probably the dullest I've heard in any synth. Only FXpansion's version 1 SynthSquad synths at 1x oversampling come close in that regard. The other is that the harmonic filter mostly needs to be treated like a static resonator rather than something you can modulate. Partials have a tendency to brutally pop in and out rather than 'fade/morph' if you try to modulate it, and some of the oscillator effects can interfere with the harmonic filter in strange and unexpected ways so they're only reasonably modulatable in select circumstances.

It's a wicked synth but a bit more stability when modulating the interesting bits and some more high end in the lower registers would be welcome. The CM version is possibly the greatest magware deal of all time. Anything I have to say about whether the full version is worth the price is inevitably going to be coloured by just how damn good the magware version is at a few quid, so anyone reading who hasn't picked that up should do so pronto.

cron wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:18 pmThe aforementioned lack of high end fizz in the lower registers is profound, probably the dullest I've heard in any synth.
Maybe you and I are talking about different things because I don't find that at all. Perhaps you could post a short audio example or two?
The other is that the harmonic filter mostly needs to be treated like a static resonator rather than something you can modulate.
I just completely ignore it as I have no idea what it is supposed to do (and even less interest in finding out).
Anything I have to say about whether the full version is worth the price is inevitably going to be coloured by just how damn good the magware version is at a few quid, so anyone reading who hasn't picked that up should do so pronto.
The problem with all the CM stuff today is that it's all 32 bit so a waste of time for many of us.

BONES wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:24 pm
The problem with all the CM stuff today is that it's all 32 bit so a waste of time for many of us.
All? I wonder how my version of Thorn CM gave me the option to install Thorn VST, Thorn VST3, or Thorn AAX in either 32 bit or 64 bit versions.

Just lucky I guess!

8)
바보

Return to “Instruments”