Dmitry Sches' Thorn VI

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
chk071
KVRAF
18865 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:07 am

Do i get a voucher when i newly register at Plugin Alliance?

Edit: Nope... :)

User avatar
Tappistry
KVRian
1213 posts since 3 Aug, 2017 from San Diego, CA

Re: Dmitry Sches' Thorn VI

Post Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:33 am

I sent a support request to PA regarding an upgrade code. It seems that for those of use who purchased Thorn through other third-party resellers like PB, there wasn't a way for Dmitry to track and send those to PA.

Regardless of the modest fee for the "upgrade," (which isn't a bad deal if you didn't have the preset packs beforehand) I'd echo some of the concerns regarding privacy and the poor decision that was made to just hand over a huge list of all of his license holders. The process for this conversion should have been voluntary, and I think he should have worked with PA to make a submission form for people to fill out with their name, email, and serial so they could opt in if they chose to.

Kr3eM
KVRist
411 posts since 1 Sep, 2007

Re: Dmitry Sches' Thorn VI

Post Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:41 am

Ryan99 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:54 pm
Kr3eM wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:20 am
EnderWillSaveUs wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:19 pm
Any one that are not going to redeem their upgrade voucher, I would greatly appreciate it.
+1
If anyone doesn’t want to use his 19$ upgrade code to Thorn V1.2, I’m willing to trade it for my 25$ Plugin-Alliance monthly voucher.
Doh! damn it, I should really not make any posts when I am in my insomnia stage, I thought EnderWilloSaveUs was asking for a Plugin-Alliance monthly voucher, I completley overlooked "upgrade"... in my world there's no such thing to get Thorn 1.2 from the upgrade voucher if you are not already a owner of Thorn.

So my bad, correction, I was/am looking for a Plugin-Alliance monthly voucher to use for my Thorn upgrade voucher. If anyone has one to spare it would be highly appreciated.

User avatar
Teksonik
KVRAF
12174 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Re: Dmitry Sches' Thorn VI

Post Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:18 pm

nevis wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:04 am
Teksonik wrote:When you say "he knows it obviously and reworking it" is this something you have confirmed with Dmitry or are you just speculating ?
https://dmitrysches.com/thorn-changelog
Removed Optimize Polyphony option, will be returned later
Steve1974 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:06 am
Teksonik wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:18 am

I installed 1.1 and 1.2 side by side on this system and you're right. I didn't notice the Optimize Polyphony option has been removed in 1.2 so yes it's more cpu demanding.

When you say "he knows it obviously and reworking it" is this something you have confirmed with Dmitry or are you just speculating ?
This is from Thorn Changelog for V1.2 on dmitrysches.com:
Removed Optimize Polyphony option, will be returned later

I hope it will be fixed later but anyway I created a support ticket on PA.
Thanks guys I checked at PA but not Dmitry's site for a Changelog.

What an odd thing to remove right before doing an upgrade of this manner. Oh well he's working on it so we'll see what happens. :?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Dasheesh
KVRAF
3134 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Re: Dmitry Sches' Thorn VI

Post Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:08 pm

just for the record, and not because of tek. i get a cleaner signal from the PA version. i still get pops, but it might be from my audio driver at this point and it's a lot less. they know about it regardless. what this instrument does is heavy, it's not normal. i'm ok with it, it doesn't come through in the rendering.

menthol
KVRist
50 posts since 1 Jul, 2009 from New York

Re: Dmitry Sches' Thorn VI

Post Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:00 pm

Tappistry wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:33 am
I sent a support request to PA regarding an upgrade code. It seems that for those of use who purchased Thorn through other third-party resellers like PB, there wasn't a way for Dmitry to track and send those to PA.
I sent an email to Dmitry with a copy of my PB receipt and he sent me a voucher right away. Hope this helps ....

User avatar
Teksonik
KVRAF
12174 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Re: Dmitry Sches' Thorn VI

Post Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:16 pm

Dasheesh wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:08 pm
i still get pops, but it might be from my audio driver at this point and it's a lot less.
Also for the record I don't get any pops at all. It's just the CPU usage is higher. I spent a couple of hours making patches today and not a single pop or any audio degradation whatsoever (Focusrite 6i6 with factory ASIO drivers). It is possible to push Thorn into crazy cpu hungry mode pretty easily.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

User avatar
Tappistry
KVRian
1213 posts since 3 Aug, 2017 from San Diego, CA

Re: Dmitry Sches' Thorn VI

Post Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:18 pm

menthol wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:00 pm
Tappistry wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:33 am
I sent a support request to PA regarding an upgrade code. It seems that for those of use who purchased Thorn through other third-party resellers like PB, there wasn't a way for Dmitry to track and send those to PA.
I sent an email to Dmitry with a copy of my PB receipt and he sent me a voucher right away. Hope this helps ....
That's great, thanks!

irism
KVRist
32 posts since 2 May, 2018

Re: Dmitry Sches' Thorn VI

Post Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:53 pm

menthol wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:00 pm
I sent an email to Dmitry with a copy of my PB receipt and he sent me a voucher right away. Hope this helps ....
Thanks for the tip!

starflakeprj
KVRian
886 posts since 28 Feb, 2015

Re: Dmitry Sches' Thorn VI

Post Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:56 pm

For me, this was this instant death of the DS plugins. I have them all, but don't want to join PA. Paying money for an upgrade that more or less only are bug fixes and adjusting the plugin for the PA "software center" is ridiculous.

This, and raising the price on new purchases, only shows how much cheaper a plugin could be without software centers and copy protections.

A bad move by DS, but if he thinks this is what's needed to survive, it's his choice. He lost at least the upgrade money from me for Thorn, Diversion and Tantra, but probably for any other new plugin I woulf have purchased if still under his own management.
Intel Core i7-4930K @ 4.1GHz | 64GB DDR3 | 3 x Nvidia GTX 780 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Arturia AudioFuse | M-Audio Code61
Studio One 4.1 | Reason 10.2 | Bitwig Studio 2.4 | Reaper 5.95 | Renoise 3.1 | FL Studio 20 | 460+ VSTs | 170+ Rack Extensions

User avatar
Igro
KVRAF
4028 posts since 26 Apr, 2007 from Noosphere

Re: Dmitry Sches' Thorn VI

Post Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:53 am

I would upgrade if the fourth LFO was addded.

User avatar
antic604
KVRAF
2035 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Re: Dmitry Sches' Thorn VI

Post Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:45 am

The upgrade is really messy...

I e-mailed Dmitry (I bought Thorn when it was still in pre-release phase) and he simply mailed me back with $19 code or free NFR code for me to use whichever I want. I'm pretty sure I could give those codes away and people could get the synth at $19+VAT or even free, without ever owning the synth. I hope nobody does this (I won't, obviously), because that could hurt the sales :(
Bitwig 2 // Reason 10 // Cubase Pro 10 @ Surface Pro 4
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604
other stuff - Psytrance in Bitwig Studio tutorial

chk071
KVRAF
18865 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Dmitry Sches' Thorn VI

Post Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:59 am

I don't get your logic. How could something hurt sales when it's vouchers which are given away to legit owners of the plugin? And why would you give away that code anyway?

User avatar
antic604
KVRAF
2035 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Re: Dmitry Sches' Thorn VI

Post Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:04 am

chk071 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:59 am
I don't get your logic. How could something hurt sales when it's vouchers which are given away to legit owners of the plugin? And why would you give away that code anyway?
I mean there's no check whether someone using the voucher actually owns Thorn bought elsewhere. I could easily publish that code somewhere and people would be getting Thorn for $19 or free, without being entitled to it. I'm not saying I'll do it, but I'm convinced there are people that would.

Unless the codes are personalised, but I doubt it.
Bitwig 2 // Reason 10 // Cubase Pro 10 @ Surface Pro 4
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604
other stuff - Psytrance in Bitwig Studio tutorial

chk071
KVRAF
18865 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Dmitry Sches' Thorn VI

Post Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:15 am

But for what reason? To stick with your version forever, when you could just upgrade for free? I doubt the voucher can be used nore than once...

Return to “Instruments”