Blue3- vintage tonewheel organ v2 is out !

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Bug Music
KVRist
70 posts since 7 Dec, 2004

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:52 pm

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
5726 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Re: Blue3- vintage tonewheel organ v2 is out !

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:58 pm

Looks like a great update. And free too? Cool company. If I wasn't already happy with Acoustic Samples B5, I'd definitely be looking at this. There's a little bit of GAS that makes me want to demo this anyway, but I'm gonna hold strong. For now.

dickiefunk
KVRAF
2498 posts since 22 Mar, 2006 from cornwall

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:07 pm

I'm comparing both Blue3 2.0 and B5 at the moment :tu:

dickiefunk
KVRAF

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:47 pm

I have to say after playing with these for the past couple of hours B5 is still the one that sounds and feels the closest to playing a real Hammond to me. However, Blue3 2.0 is still seriously good and quite remarkable considering the sound is done by modelling! The UI is a delight to use and has the best one of all the Hammond VSTi's :tu:

aMUSEd
KVRAF
29777 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:53 pm

I'd take this over a sampled organ any day - but waiting for a sale

digitalboytn
KVRian
1262 posts since 8 Dec, 2008 from Global Cowboy

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:18 pm

aMUSEd wrote:I'd take this over a sampled organ any day - but waiting for a sale
:tu:

There is a HUGE difference between a sampled organ and one that is physically modelled :wink:
Sorry - I don't use auto-tune....

jsp1979
KVRAF
2896 posts since 7 Aug, 2008

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:20 pm

aMUSEd wrote:I'd take this over a sampled organ any day - but waiting for a sale

Have they ever had a sale?

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
5726 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:23 pm

digitalboytn wrote:

There is a HUGE difference between a sampled organ and one that is physically modelled :wink:
The B5 is quite a bit more than where my mind goes when I hear "sampled organ." So if you have similar biases, I wouldn't knock-it based on any preconcieved notions. Once you get into the speaker and advanced preferences, you immediately see that this wasn't just a job of taking an organ sampling each drawbar and combining them. There's four different tonewheel sets and a lot of scripting happening and to make it very flexible and [IMO] the best hammond plugin on the market at the moment. Also, the Leslie is the very good [algorithmic] UVI Leslie, with some additional IR's applied to capture the tone of their particular Leslies. So yeah, it's sample based, but it's DEEP and there's a lot of stuff happening via scripting. Most importantly, the sound is great.

Anyway, not trying to knock Blue3, which as I mentioned earlier, is very good. The first time I used Blue3 I thought it was pretty bad...then I realized there were all these different tonewheel sets. After that, I was really quite impressed wtih what it's capable of. The new GUI and standalone Leslie are nice additions too. Totally a solid product.

Where I think Blue3 and even VB3 have an edge over B5 is the very lowest registers. B5 doesn't quite get the sub frequencies that the modelled organs do. Now, that's a bit of a double edged sword for me because there's something synthetic [pure sine] that I hear in the modelled organs, but I totally get why some people prefer the beefy bottom of those over B5.

In the end, it's a good time for hammond plugins. There was a good stretch of time where there wasn't a good 64-bit option and there's currently 3.

Niowiad
KVRist
216 posts since 25 Jan, 2017

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:34 pm

No more blue skin? :hihi:
Anyway... I'm getting this one, sooner or later. :love:
Good move on also selling the rotary plugin separately.

Fleer
KVRAF
3847 posts since 23 Aug, 2014 from Boston/Cambridge

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:12 pm

Absolutely love it :tu:

bubusdeolivos
KVRer
7 posts since 4 Sep, 2018

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:13 pm

Downloaded v2 of BLUE3 and it looks and sound great!

One concern though. The MIDI learn function work very well in the standalone organ and with GarageBand but it doesn't work on Logic...any ideas...Same happens with GSI VB3 II
Hope Ray will chime in.

Thanks

pianopaul01
KVRer
4 posts since 12 Sep, 2018

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:50 pm

I am using Blue3 in a Pinkk Floyd Tribute Band.
I was using B5-V2 and VB3 II and Blue3 and I have to say, only Blue3 cuts through the mix.

The others sound really good standalone, but on the context of a band Blue3 is the winner.

Not to forget the excellent support you get from the company.
They really think about what users say.

dickiefunk
KVRAF

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:02 pm

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
digitalboytn wrote:

The B5 is quite a bit more than where my mind goes when I hear "sampled organ." So if you have similar biases, I wouldn't knock-it based on any preconcieved notions. Once you get into the speaker and advanced preferences, you immediately see that this wasn't just a job of taking an organ sampling each drawbar and combining them. There's four different tonewheel sets and a lot of scripting happening and to make it very flexible and [IMO] the best hammond plugin on the market at the moment. Also, the Leslie is the very good [algorithmic] UVI Leslie, with some additional IR's applied to capture the tone of their particular Leslies. So yeah, it's sample based, but it's DEEP and there's a lot of stuff happening via scripting. Most importantly, the sound is great.

Anyway, not trying to knock Blue3, which as I mentioned earlier, is very good. The first time I used Blue3 I thought it was pretty bad...then I realized there were all these different tonewheel sets. After that, I was really quite impressed wtih what it's capable of. The new GUI and standalone Leslie are nice additions too. Totally a solid product.

Where I think Blue3 and even VB3 have an edge over B5 is the very lowest registers. B5 doesn't quite get the sub frequencies that the modelled organs do. Now, that's a bit of a double edged sword for me because there's something synthetic [pure sine] that I hear in the modelled organs, but I totally get why some people prefer the beefy bottom of those over B5.

In the end, it's a good time for hammond plugins. There was a good stretch of time where there wasn't a good 64-bit option and there's currently 3.
Yes B5 is extremely flexible and powerful. It is in a completely different league to NI’s sampled organs from the Vintage Organs collection!
I agree with the your findings on the lowest registers though from the audio demos B5 is capable of those deep sub frequencies. I sent an email to AcousticSamples last night to enquire how they got those deep sounds in the lower registers and will report back.

EvilDragon
KVRAF
17056 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:08 pm

What I don't like about B5 is the time it needs to load, the RAM it needs to take, and then there are a few glitches due to UVI engine in some DAWs (I love those guys, but their engine is not perfect). Not to mention the CPU usage is considerably higher compared to either VB3-II or Blue3...

B5 sounds very very good (probably the best sampled Hammond ever), but not better than VB3-II or Blue3 to me.

This is one helluva update for Blue3 users, kudos to GGA.

aMUSEd
KVRAF
29777 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:49 pm

So if you buy this does it also include Spin or do you have to buy that as well?

Return to “Instruments”