THE SH#T FACTOR - Plugs that blew you away the first time you heard them

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
SciFiArtMan
KVRian
1040 posts since 24 May, 2006 from Our Amazing Oasis in Space - USA Section

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:03 pm

stvrsz wrote:Do any of his synths meet the SH#T Factor for you? Arracis Gold got my attention way back in the day.
I never got on all that well with his HGFortune synths. I always had clicking problems with them, which is such a shame as I loved what he was trying to do! And maybe my issues weren't with his coding, but my set-up, although I always had lots of RAM, a decent processor, and had few problems with other plugins. And maybe my issues were a combination of SynthEdit, my set-up, and the Earth spinning at an unstable rate, I don't know.

BUT, I recently purchased Art Pyrite by Art Vera, which has a fair amount of help from Gunter/HGFortune, as is obvious with its form and function (looks and acts just like one of his creations), and I LOVE this pad beast! So I like to think his genius lives on through this and all the other impressive sonic tools he created.

V0RT3X
KVRAF
7088 posts since 4 Jul, 2012 from Canada

Re: THE SH#T FACTOR - Plugs that blew you away the first time you heard them

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:10 pm

Tons
Last edited by V0RT3X on Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Developers please focus only on 64bit development. Let 32-bit finally die and become a thing of the past.

Jafo
KVRAF
1820 posts since 20 Dec, 2002 from The Benighted States of Trumpistan

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:11 pm

Elektronisch wrote:
vurt wrote:does "shit" not mean the same everywhere?
No, it depends on the context and its more of a slang especialy when you are native english speaker, like for example saying "c**t" in Australia doesnt nesceserely mean a bad thing.

In english saying "now thats the shit!" might mean that its something amazing, awesome ect.
It's quite bad. Or even nice, one might say.* :hihi: Such changes keep us language people endlessly amused.

*One for the Shakespeare scholars. Isn't it awful how language changes? (Oops, that's two.)
Joy and kindness are acts of resistance -- fight the power!

stvrsz
KVRist
97 posts since 23 May, 2011

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:13 pm

SciFiArtMan wrote:
stvrsz wrote:Do any of his synths meet the SH#T Factor for you? Arracis Gold got my attention way back in the day.
I never got on all that well with his HGFortune synths. I always had clicking problems with them, which is such a shame as I loved what he was trying to do! And maybe my issues weren't with his coding, but my set-up, although I always had lots of RAM, a decent processor, and had few problems with other plugins. And maybe my issues were a combination of SynthEdit, my set-up, and the Earth spinning at an unstable rate, I don't know.

BUT, I recently purchased Art Pyrite by Art Vera, which has a fair amount of help from Gunter/HGFortune, as is obvious with its form and function (looks and acts just like one of his creations), and I LOVE this pad beast! So I like to think his genius lives on through this and all the other impressive sonic tools he created.
I got the demo for this one and it looks and acts just like one of his creations. Good stuff.

stvrsz
KVRist

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:15 pm

Jafo wrote:
Elektronisch wrote:
vurt wrote:does "shit" not mean the same everywhere?
No, it depends on the context and its more of a slang especialy when you are native english speaker, like for example saying "c**t" in Australia doesnt nesceserely mean a bad thing.

In english saying "now thats the shit!" might mean that its something amazing, awesome ect.
It's quite bad. Or even nice, one might say.* :hihi: Such changes keep us language people endlessly amused.

*One for the Shakespeare scholars. Isn't it awful how language changes? (Oops, that's two.)
Well played! The addition of "the" before it makes all of the difference.

dandezebra
KVRian
720 posts since 21 Dec, 2013 from USA

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:09 pm

Thanks for the reminder! I am going to fire up The Tiger Pro here in a few! Love Gunter's work.

Ed A.
KVRist
222 posts since 27 Jul, 2004 from Outer Bongolia

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:10 pm

In order of what blew me away, first to last:

The original pre-NI Absynth,
Sculpture in Logic Pro,
Madrona Labs Aalto & Kaivo,
AAS Chromaphone 2

voidhead23
KVRist
92 posts since 5 Jan, 2018 from Beijing, PRC

Post Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:06 am

confusedmuse wrote:Since the last few years, nearly any synth sounds great - have nothing special to mention here.
This. So much this. After pointlessly collecting soft synths for years i kind of realized their quality has now gotten to the point where every synth sounds great, even freeware, and it's only up to your subjective taste and what sounds best to you. So you're not really going to be missing out on some essential factor even if you just pick one at random (provided the interface doesn't put you off, the CPU is manageable for your system, etc.).

i think when i started getting into using the computer seriously to make music, Reaktor 3 had just come out. The contrast of choice we have now is staggering.

fanodu1
KVRist
73 posts since 3 Jun, 2017

Post Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:53 am

LuSH 101
The first "virtual analog" vst that to my ears actually delivered on it's promise.

stvrsz
KVRist

Post Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:36 am

voidhead23 wrote:
confusedmuse wrote:Since the last few years, nearly any synth sounds great - have nothing special to mention here.
This. So much this. After pointlessly collecting soft synths for years i kind of realized their quality has now gotten to the point where every synth sounds great, even freeware, and it's only up to your subjective taste and what sounds best to you. So you're not really going to be missing out on some essential factor even if you just pick one at random (provided the interface doesn't put you off, the CPU is manageable for your system, etc.).

i think when i started getting into using the computer seriously to make music, Reaktor 3 had just come out. The contrast of choice we have now is staggering.
Good Point. We have gotten used to being surprised and the technology has finally gotten good enough to deliver consistent quality. It will probably take a completely new type of synthesis to wow us in the future.VA and Wavetable have pretty much been exhausted at this point. I guess that is why Kaivo(hybrid physical modeling) and Eclipsis(multiple hybrid) type of synths grab us for a bit.

digitalboytn
KVRian
1262 posts since 8 Dec, 2008 from Global Cowboy

Post Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:48 am

DUNE 1....

Still my favourite work horse :wink:
Sorry - I don't use auto-tune....

hma
KVRist
261 posts since 13 Jan, 2006 from top down

Post Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:51 am

Two come to mind, VAZ back in the day and Chromaphone in recent times.

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12261 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Post Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:28 am

None, frankly. The first time I press a key on a new synth usually means that I hear some mediocre default preset or an init patch (usually a saw which sounds basically the same on any synth).

exmatproton
KVRAF
2105 posts since 25 Apr, 2011

Post Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:58 am

The following because of various reasons;

Diva, Falcon, Icarus, Harmor

nachenko
KVRist
37 posts since 13 Mar, 2018

Post Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:07 am

I'll talk about plugins that made me change my mind.

I always loved synths, but I never had the money to buy one. When the VST standard came out, that was amazing. At last something I could afford!

At that moment the internet was hot about analogue versus digital, real vs virtual... you know. I had no idea what to think.

Two things happened that settled that debate for me:

I bought a used Virus C. This was a hardware synth, but it was digital, so in the end, it was just software in a box. But WHAT A SOFTWARE (and what a box). Preset A02: "The Master". All said. That made me think "maybe the killer combo is software in a box with great DACs".

Then Korg released their first VST ever and that was final. Korg Legacy collection. Mind-blowing after mind-blowing preset and marvellous quality of sound without killing my computer.

At that moment, I understood it wasn't about software or hardware, it was about having the know-how, and Korg clearly had all that was needed, and then some. the software vs hardware controversy was over for me.

Return to “Instruments”