THE SH#T FACTOR - Plugs that blew you away the first time you heard them

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
SciFiArtMan
KVRian
1040 posts since 24 May, 2006 from Our Amazing Oasis in Space - USA Section

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:37 am

stvrsz wrote:
SciFiArtMan wrote: Now, I can get lost for hours/days just creating and fine-tuning sounds, often at the expense of creating actual music. And this we call "progress"! Ha!
Another forum called "I used to make music, but now only design sounds and presets.";)
Sad, but true! And yet I'm enjoying myself, and pretending to be advancing my art, so what's the harm!? I once got into a similar mode designing typefaces! But as I've mentioned before, I now have far more killer patches ready to be used, than I have time left to use them! Funny ol' world.

I also find it amazing that new song ideas and inspiration often come from these impressive new patches! Music drives the sounds, and the sounds can drive the music, and art goes 'round and 'round forever...

ls1xxx
KVRist
301 posts since 26 Sep, 2009

Re: THE SH#T FACTOR - Plugs that blew you away the first time you heard them

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:46 am

Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1. Never got to own the hardware, but the software sounds great!

SciFiArtMan
KVRian

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:47 am

stvrsz wrote:I am surprised no one has mentioned Arturia or Korg Legacy.
Well yes, the Korg Legacy Wavestation was a mind-blower! The first wave sequencing synth I'd ever played, and this effect was perfect for evolving pads (a personal fave!). Unfortunately, the tiny GUI soon took its toll on my eyesight and I had to abandon it. If Korg ever improved the GUI as they promised last year, it would return to my installed arsenal, probably as a permanent resident. But until that time, just a sea of sadness...

stvrsz
KVRist
97 posts since 23 May, 2011

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:49 am

Instead of chasing after analog models these days, I find myself fascinated with the new sounds capable by wavescanning and morphing oscillators on synths such as the aforementioned Rapid, Serum, Synthmaster, and the mighty Zebra. After all, I have already owned the Moogs, Junos, Prophets, and Jupiters(6 anyway) and know what they can do.

zvenx
KVRAF
6652 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from Kingston, Jamaica

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:01 am

dune_rave wrote:The first....? Maybe this:
Bitheadz Retro As-1

This was definitely my intro into software synths...... we have come a long way baby......

For me?
Atmosphere then Omnisphere
Stylus RMX
Diva
Repro
impOscar 2
Superior Drummer 3
Legend
Dune2
Icarus

rsp
sound sculptist

evilantal
KVRian
821 posts since 13 Mar, 2008 from Arnhem, Netherlands

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:02 am

I started with plugins around 2006, I think. Taking the plunge and replacing all hardware generated sound in my live rig with softsynths on a rackmounted PC. Never looked back.
The most impressive to me at that time were Zebra 2, Alchemy and Minimonsta.
Demo work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com
Music for media: http://www.myendlessy.com

danbroad
KVRian
1125 posts since 2 Jan, 2004 from England

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:04 am

Atmosphere. Omnisphere less so, because I knew what was coming.
11, 418th in line to the KVR throne

zvenx
KVRAF
6652 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from Kingston, Jamaica

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:05 am

zvenx wrote:
dune_rave wrote:The first....? Maybe this:
Bitheadz Retro As-1

This was definitely my intro into software synths...... we have come a long way baby......

For me?
Atmosphere then Omnisphere
Stylus RMX
Diva
Repro
impOscar 2
Superior Drummer 3
Legend
Dune2
Icarus

rsp
Indeed I forgot Absynth which back then, not now, blew me away the first time I heard it.
rsp
sound sculptist

stvrsz
KVRist

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:23 am

I know he is not particularly loved and respected on KVR, but HGFortune created some amazing machines that treated synthesis in a whole new way. He was also a really nice guy and very generous with his work. RIP

SciFiArtMan
KVRian

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:43 am

stvrsz wrote:I know he is not particularly loved and respected on KVR, but HGFortune ...
What!? Now you're just trolling!!! I've never heard anything but love and respect for him and his work. I think SynthEdit and its limitations were the only relative discouraging word, I ever heard!

stvrsz
KVRist

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:07 am

SciFiArtMan wrote:
stvrsz wrote:I know he is not particularly loved and respected on KVR, but HGFortune ...
What!? Now you're just trolling!!! I've never heard anything but love and respect for him and his work. I think SynthEdit and its limitations were the only relative discouraging word, I ever heard!
Not trolling. I just haven't seen much admiration for his work. I really think that he was a major innovator in synthesis. He was one of the few users that used Synthedit in a new and different way.

digitalboytn
KVRian
1264 posts since 8 Dec, 2008 from Global Cowboy

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:16 am

stvrsz wrote:
digitalboytn wrote:There have been quite a few plugins that I have installed over the years with great expectations...

But the reality bites fairly quickly after the sh#t factor kicks in :wink:
And that would be another forum entitled "biggest disappointments"

No...this is the right forum...

I was blown away by how bad they were :wink:
Sorry - I don't use auto-tune....

stvrsz
KVRist

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:22 am

SciFiArtMan wrote:
I did a quick search since you decided to label me a "troll" and found that HGFortune has 22 synths listed on KVR with on 12 reviews. I interpreted this as not very much attention for the amount of work created. I certainly am not trying to troll, by try to find kindred spirits who enjoyed a particular "Epiphany" when they heard a particular synth for the first time. I am sorry if I have somehow offended you or anyone on KVR. I only wanted a friendly discussion that was positive and judgement free. It was never my intention to slight KVR or its constituency.

stvrsz
KVRist

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:23 am

digitalboytn wrote:
stvrsz wrote:
digitalboytn wrote:There have been quite a few plugins that I have installed over the years with great expectations...

But the reality bites fairly quickly after the sh#t factor kicks in :wink:
And that would be another forum entitled "biggest disappointments"

No...this is the right forum...

I was blown away by how bad they were :wink:
Let's go with it then...what were they?(ducks and holds arm over head for protection)

] Peter:H [
KVRian
600 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:56 am

Nice guerillia market study thread...So let me name a few more synths which i'd say crazy SH#T too
Tone2 Icarus
VPS Avenger
Parawave Rapid
Seawead Fathom
Synthmaster & SM One
Hrastprogrammer Tranzistow
Reactor
Bitwig Phase 4
Massive
---
If you like you can check out OneSynthChallenge. It's an eye opener. There's people that can blow your mind with each and every synth. I mean we did a month with Noisetar by Nusofting (OSC #103) which is actually only able to produce freaking noizes and in the end it was hilarious what the guys came up with with that synth.
Be creative, let the synth drive you towards something...if it crackles, then make crackles part of your rhythm section.

] Peter:H [
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”