Your opinion about Zebra 2

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
3256 posts since 2 Jul, 2005

Post Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:06 pm

I probably already posted here, but z2 / zhz are still my go-to synths for most sounds. They are pretty much my first choice for straightforward synth sounds. I sometimes go with something like repro-1, minimonsta or razor for a main baseline sound or lead, and I sometimes pull up omnisphere for the hybrid romper/ synth experience or Absynth for a quick atmospheric backdrop or use the Bitwig grid, reaktor, or something similar for crazy overmodulated stuff, and then I still have to go elsewhere for my mpe needs or for drum synthesis. I find that over half the time zebra can do what I need and since I'm familiar with it, it can also do it very quickly.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

User avatar
KVRAF
19100 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:16 pm

ghettosynth wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:36 pm
Urs wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:35 am
Well, my point is, making a synth complex enough to get pretty much any job done is not a disadvantage over having a dozen separate synths which let one quickly do this or that.
So this doesn't need any context, it's just not necessarily true, period. Whether complexity is an advantage or a disadvantage is absolutely a function of the user and the use case. I don't even think that you disagree with that.
Urs statement doesn't claim it is always an advantage, just that it is not a disadvantage. If it is merely subjective, then there is no inherent advantage or disadvantage which makes his statement true.

KVRAF
12803 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Post Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:04 pm

...
Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF
7064 posts since 7 Oct, 2005 from Auckland, NZ

Post Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:36 am

For a long time I thought I don't need Zebra and I always ended up skipping it when there is an opportunity to buy it!

Few days ago, I was playing with the MODX keyboard and I thought to myself, what nice if I could have a capable synth that sounds clean digital but nice like this keyboard. So, suddenly Zebra came to my mind and when I checked it, it is really that one.

So, why I skipped it for long time?! The reason I always compare it with other synths, so I feel it is not digital enough and not analogue enough. The thing I didn't realise is it is exactly sometimes this is what I need in my tracks!

Now, I have such synths already like Dune 3, but they are not very inviting to editing sounds or making my own as Zebra does. Also, Zebra fits exactly between Diva/RePro and Bazille (the right wing and the left wing!).

I'm currently watching some tutorials and I'm impressed more now by the great design of Zebra. I also love the design of other u-he synths. All of them are top in workflow and design. Of course they are top also in sound. The nice thing is that Zebra has completely different sound character than Diva and Bazille. In fact I think they complement each other perfectly.

Oh well, I anticipate that Zebra 2/3 will be one of my synths to go first when I start a new idea especially, as it is very inspiring to listen to and to work with.

Well, still waiting for the 2nd hand license to be transferred to me! Hurry up Victor! :hihi:
Main music setup: M1 Air with Live 11, MODX 6, KeyLab MK ii and some plugins.

User avatar
Urs
u-he
25679 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Post Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:53 am

ghettosynth wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:36 pm
I don't think that you pointed out any contradiction. Moreover, I think that aggressive counter of opinion and user experience isn't necessarily valid.
Let me reset things here. Please reread the post I quoted parts of (but not all parts, just the parts I could bear quoting at the time):

viewtopic.php?p=8082363#p8082363

And now please explain to me how my counter opinion is somehow "aggressive" compared to what I was certainly itching to respond. Maybe also reread the three to five posts that led up to it: A typical example of "one users found an angle to say something bad, leading to others chiming in", a common pattern of thread development.

Furthermore the contradiction I've spotted is in the same post:

I don't believe in things like "You have to spend more time and effort with the synth". It's an argument which never made sense for me, and, it's also something you won't hear from any serious music producer.


and then the quoted episode of Massive X :dog:

(which would have had me in stitches, wasn't it for the insinuations following, which seem to currently make rounds over several threads, e.g. the insinuation that the HZ story is somehow fake. To be precise, " something you won't hear from any serious music producer" is part of that insinuation)

But yes, I agree, all of this needs more funny, but respectfully it ain't me who starts arguments.

KVRAF
28435 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:20 am

So betting that something is true is an insinuation that it's fake. Hmmm... not on my planet, Urs. ;)

Maybe I should have made it more clear though that, what I meant was, that, for some other artist stories marketing comes up with, I wouldn't vouch for authenticity.
Last edited by chk071 on Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

KVRian
1184 posts since 11 Jun, 2019

Post Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:23 am

EnGee wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:36 am
Few days ago, I was playing with the MODX keyboard and I thought to myself, what nice if I could have a capable synth that sounds clean digital but nice like this keyboard. So, suddenly Zebra came to my mind and when I checked it, it is really that one.
I thought about that too already - and calculating the price of Zebra with 2200+ professional presets (100 p = 25-30€) to the Yamaha hardware with several interesting options and keyboard quickly convinced me of the japanese efficiency.

Btw. I´m still looking for a Kindergarden for my little one. Please PM!

User avatar
KVRAF
4083 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:25 am

ghettosynth wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:51 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:06 pm
Urs wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:35 am
Well, my point is, making a synth complex enough to get pretty much any job done is not a disadvantage over having a dozen separate synths which let one quickly do this or that.
Exactemundo , and for me zebra is not even complex enough :lol: but it's part of my holly trinity of synths with which I do almost everything .
Zebra , tranzistow and reaktor , talmod for fast results .

The age of 'simplifying things 'is over , let it be complex :tu:
Surely you realize that this speaks to your tastes and preferences in workflow and sound? Transistow has a shit U/I for most people. Urs' statement is, on its face, incorrect as a generalization. Whether complexity, in anything, is an advantage always depends on the cost of navigating that complexity and that is almost always dependent on the user, and, in fact, on the use case.

How many people use Knobman instead of Blender? Why would you, Blender is so much more powerful and "complex." How many people prefer simple photo editors over The Gimp? How many people prefer an automatic transmission over a manual?
Why certain people prefer knobman over blender , I can think of at least a couple of reasons.
One , they are NOT driven to learn the more complex tool , lack of braincells , lazyness , absence of instant gratification ?
Once the basics are under the belt , it's easier and faster to create knobs and guis in blender , the addition of the fantastic realt ime EEVEE render for instant pro results .
Same goes for complex synths , you can argue that tranzisotw has a shit interface , again once you learn how to navigate it , it's equally as fast as any other synths .
I can set up things so it behaves like super 8 , phase locked oscillators ,osc 1-->2 for sync , and osc2-->1 for fm ( like the jupiter 8 )
Save as a preset , et voila ..super 8 inside tranzistow , that's the benefit of complex 'do it all synths '
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

KVRAF
7064 posts since 7 Oct, 2005 from Auckland, NZ

Post Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:59 am

GRUMP wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:23 am
EnGee wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:36 am
Few days ago, I was playing with the MODX keyboard and I thought to myself, what nice if I could have a capable synth that sounds clean digital but nice like this keyboard. So, suddenly Zebra came to my mind and when I checked it, it is really that one.
I thought about that too already - and calculating the price of Zebra with 2200+ professional presets (100 p = 25-30€) to the Yamaha hardware with several interesting options and keyboard quickly convinced me of the japanese efficiency.

Btw. I´m still looking for a Kindergarden for my little one. Please PM!
Don't compare this way! The sound can be the same level (the synths), but every one has its advantage and disadvantages. I will let you guess what are they!

For Zebra, watch some tutorials and see if that makes you really want this synth :) I actually purchased the one on Groove3 and watched it before I delve into the manual. Great tutorial that exposed how powerful this synth is! I actually wasn't expect that much from Zebra. Oh, and it has 628 presets unless I miss something :o
Main music setup: M1 Air with Live 11, MODX 6, KeyLab MK ii and some plugins.

KVRian
1184 posts since 11 Jun, 2019

Post Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:19 am

EnGee wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:59 am
GRUMP wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:23 am
EnGee wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:36 am
Few days ago, I was playing with the MODX keyboard and I thought to myself, what nice if I could have a capable synth that sounds clean digital but nice like this keyboard. So, suddenly Zebra came to my mind and when I checked it, it is really that one.
I thought about that too already - and calculating the price of Zebra with 2200+ professional presets (100 p = 25-30€) to the Yamaha hardware with several interesting options and keyboard quickly convinced me of the japanese efficiency.

Btw. I´m still looking for a Kindergarden for my little one. Please PM!
Don't compare this way! The sound can be the same level (the synths), but every one has its advantage and disadvantages. I will let you guess what are they!

For Zebra, watch some tutorials and see if that makes you really want this synth :) I actually purchased the one on Groove3 and watched it before I delve into the manual. Great tutorial that exposed how powerful this synth is! I actually wasn't expect that much from Zebra. Oh, and it has 628 presets unless I miss something :o
But new things always seem more promising than what you have and maybe disappointed you. I guess you know that phenomenon 🤭

And yes - surely a super weapon for cinematic stuff. They have different targets there, from squeaks to war drums and enough budget to be patient.

That's rather the opposite here. I'd just take samples and I have two children + some awesome competitors that also provide a better overall UX (PR, Responsibility, ...) than Uhe.

And to be honest: as a 90s time traveler I feel displaced and somehow not wecome on this planet today as I'd rather prefer RPs vibe :|

And last but not least: do Zebras pads really play in the same league as the ones this really experienced and demanding company delivers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwwMHRe1vf4
Last edited by GRUMP on Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
KVRian
1367 posts since 25 Apr, 2009 from France

Post Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:23 am

This gave me an idea. I still think Zebra2 sounds outdated in my own personal tastes, and I’d love to hear examples of artists who used it with jawdropping results, and I mean : not in the opinion of a couple of users, no, with commercial success.

Can anybody please name songs -with commercial success only- that are using Zebra2 please? So far I’ve always listened to amateur songs that never convinced me in any way that the synth can produce amazing sounds (OK I’ve not heard them all but that’s not the point).

Some of you may have identified a preset, somebody claiming he’s using Zebra2, who knows ?... For example Avicii was a notable user of Nexus, Martin Garrix has been seen on stage using a cr@cked version of Sylenth1...

I’d really, really love to see that I was wrong and that there is a way to use this synth with flawless and modern sounding results. I own a licence after all.

PS : Hive2 sounds plain perfect to me. Rich, full sound, true modernity. Zebra2 ? Nooot.
Last edited by DJErmac on Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
This post is supposed to be non-agressive. Now please give me a broad smile. :ud:

User avatar
addled muppet weed
79062 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:32 am

it's a great synth. try the demo.

[insert meme]

User avatar
Urs
u-he
25679 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Post Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:34 am

chk071 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:20 am
So betting that something is true is an insinuation that it's fake. Hmmm... not on my planet, Urs. ;)
Betting on something being true implies the possibility that it isn't :wink:

Shall we analyse the sentence again?

It's a nice marketing story, and, I'm sure it's even true.

So, it's a marketing story in the first place. That makes its factuality a coincidence. You could as well have said "They came up with a marketing thing, but in the end Hans somehow really ended up using it". It's a reversal of causality, effectively negating the truth behind our "marketing story". However, it was never a "marketing story". It happened, and later on we were able to strike a deal that worked in our favour.

Next, notice the "even" in it. The "even" suggests that Hans Zimmer liking Zebra was a very unlikely thing. As in, Zebra is so bad, why would anyone like it? As such, it is somehow surprising that he does. That's what the "even" says. Again, there's more doubt here than confidence.

Lastly, the context is that apparently - your theory - serious producers wouldn't recommend learning Zebra. But which serious producer has repeatedly said he learned Zebra and be done with things? Now, how does that not relate to anything here?

Yes, I'm on a sad planet sometimes.

KVRian
1184 posts since 11 Jun, 2019

Post Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:44 am

wrong

User avatar
KVRAF
4083 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:29 am

DJErmac wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:23 am
This gave me an idea. I still think Zebra2 sounds outdated in my own personal tastes, and I’d love to hear examples of artists who used it with jawdropping results, and I mean : not in the opinion of a couple of users, no, with commercial success.

Can anybody please name songs -with commercial success only- that are using Zebra2 please? So far I’ve always listened to amateur songs that never convinced me in any way that the synth can produce amazing sounds (OK I’ve not heard them all but that’s not the point).

Some of you may have identified a preset, somebody claiming he’s using Zebra2, who knows ?... For example Avicii was a notable user of Nexus, Martin Garrix has been seen on stage using a cr@cked version of Sylenth1...

I’d really, really love to see that I was wrong and that there is a way to use this synth with flawless and modern sounding results. I own a licence after all.

PS : Hive2 sounds plain perfect to me. Rich, full sound, true modernity. Zebra2 ? Nooot.
I am sure Urs can namedrop some major names in the industry that use zebra , but ( rightfully ) choose not too .
Who cares anyway what those generic trance producers use :lol:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Instruments”