Your opinion about Zebra 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Empyrean (U-he Zebra 2 Presets) Zebra

EnGee wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:07 pm supersaw is many saw oscillators detuned, right?

Anyway, Zebra have those eleven oscillators. It can do rich fatty sounds. So what so special about supersaw?!
It has to be endorsed by ' insert your favourite trance producah '
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

EnGee wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:07 pm supersaw is many saw oscillators detuned, right?

Anyway, Zebra have those eleven oscillators. It can do rich fatty sounds. So what so special about supersaw?!
Yes, that’s it. Well sometimes you add a bit of noise to gain complexity. And everytime you’re trying to get something more ”modern”, you have to deal with something that sounds like a saw but that’s not strictly a saw.
Then, you have to play with octaves. Most fat supersaws are made from three octaves layered. Chosing a slightly different wave for the upper octave totally changes the feeling and can give a more modern sound.
Of course, you can detune differently each octave.
The result is that there are millions of possible variants.

Some may chose to use a fast vibrato instead of detune also...
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

And this can't be done with Zebra?
In theory it can be done because you can lay three oscillators (those fatty ones) and can modulate their parameters with lfos. I don't see a problem in doing them, but to make an exact replica of a sound. I don't know! It needs strong skills in sound design and patience to create them.

I wouldn't say that you *can't* do it with Zebra, just that Zebra isn't optimized to quickly make modern supersaws the way other synths (e.g., Hive, Spire, Sylenth1, Dune) are, so it requires more effort and knowledge. It's more like, if Zebra is your only synth or the synth that you're most familiar with, it'll probably get the job done. But, if I'm wanting a huge supersaw and my choices are Zebra and Hive, I'm going with Hive.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

EnGee wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:36 pm And this can't be done with Zebra?
In theory it can be done because you can lay three oscillators (those fatty ones) and can modulate their parameters with lfos. I don't see a problem in doing them, but to make an exact replica of a sound. I don't know! It needs strong skills in sound design and patience to create them.
Of course this can be technically done. But it doesn’t sound in any way like a modern supersaw. Zebra2 simply hasn’t the right tools for this (maybe it’s the detuning processor, but I think this is the lack of high frequencies generation before all). Just try to make a fat supersaw with Zebra2 and any supersaw lover will have a good laugh. This has been tried in this very thread some pages before I believe.
Hive2 does it perfectly though, so every tool for every usage.

Hive2 perfectly nails this modern sound I’m after. With this synth U-He filled a hole in their market imho.

My favourite synths for supersaws would be Avenger or Navira, personal tastes...

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My view is that the only synths that can truly do anything are the ones that include sampling, resampling and granular synthesis.
So no, Zebra2 can’t do anything. Or you’ll spend billion of years trying to recreate a patch, finally claiming ”hey I’m a super skilled synth programmer, I’ve made the patch!!” when I have finished 30 songs.
Zebra2 is super cool for what it does. But when you need a supersaw or anything super modern, go Hive2. When you need a 80’s feeling, use Diva. And so on.
That’s why I’d love a more modern native sound for Zebra3 and maybe some more synthesis options, like resynthesis (that gives something between sampling and wavetables). Zebra3 could be the real ultimate synth.
Well, that’s just my view.

Hive came about because I wanted to explore different tuning laws for supersaw oscillators - triggered from perpetual criticism of Zebra. Goes to show that we listen so much to criticism, we actually create new products from it!

Urs wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:08 pm Hive came about because I wanted to explore different tuning laws for supersaw oscillators - triggered from perpetual criticism of Zebra. Goes to show that we listen so much to criticism, we actually create new products from it!
Well, nailed it ! :tu:

@cryophonik and DJErmac:

I see. It is good for me then not to try :hihi:

Anyway, I don't believe in "one synth doing it all". If this is the case, then even for u-he they wouldn't made other synths! So, for me I don't see any problem if I can't find (or can't reach) the exact sound I want in a synth. I just use another synth!

One thing I noticed is that many videos show the gentle side of Zebra, but when I played around yesterday, I found my image is not exactly correct. Well, maybe 10 years ago, but now I find it really a great synth. Still if I want more analogue sound, I go to RePro and Diva and if I want a deaper FM/PD or/and deeper programming with a great sequencer, I would go to Bazille. I don't do EDM (not because I dislike it, but because it is not my thing), so not sure I will miss something with Zebra and other synths I have! Also, let's see what Zebra 3 will add ;)

@ghettosynth:
You are "over" analysing and overreacting and over...etc. Your are an "uber" guy! :hihi: Unfortunately, your post tells me nothing useful!

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:29 pm
EnGee wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:15 pm Unfortunately, your post tells me nothing useful!
Well, don't read it then. You know, the forum has a setting for you such that you get to ignore all of my posts.
This is actually a good and "direct" advice! Thanks :tu:

DJErmac wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:07 pm .
Zebra2 is super cool for what it does. But when you need a supersaw or anything super modern, go Hive2. .
Dude please , stop it already !
Give me one example of your supermodern sound which you think is not achievable with zebra ( exluding granular + sampling )
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:31 am
DJErmac wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:07 pm .
Zebra2 is super cool for what it does. But when you need a supersaw or anything super modern, go Hive2. .
Dude please , stop it already !
Give me one example of your supermodern sound which you think is not achievable with zebra ( exluding granular + sampling )
OK, this is the exact file I already posted when we had this talk a few months ago.
(no external processing)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14mx2xC ... p=drivesdk

Return to “Instruments”