UVI Drum Designer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Drum Designer

I did finally install the update. It's ok (and good to know CC1 knocks out all the decay values), but the UI is just that bit too fiddly, it just doesn't inspire. Truthfully, XO has replaced any need I had for this and positively begs me to play with it at every opportunity, so Drum Designer remains pretty much my most redundant purchase of the last few years. Ah well.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:31 amTruthfully, XO has replaced any need I had for this and positively begs me to play with it at every opportunity, so Drum Designer remains pretty much my most redundant purchase of the last few years. Ah well.
Well, that's your problem right there - you needed a sample librarian with some rudimentary sound-shaping & features and NOT a drum synth :) That doesn't mean Drum Designer is a bad product.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Yerh, two totally different concepts, I have both and I have to admit I use XO far more, its an absolute joy to use if you have amassed a stupidly large collection of drum sample (ehem!) I find I doint need to 'design' much as I normally already have the exact sound I want! :dog:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:22 amYerh, two totally different concepts, I have both and I have to admit I use XO far more, its an absolute joy to use if you have amassed a stupidly large collection of drum sample (ehem!) I find I doint need to 'design' much as I normally already have the exact sound I want! :dog:
Heh, I think I'm on the other side of the spectrum! I don't think I have any other samples than the ones that came packaged with my DAWs + Windows sounds ;)

But I have to agree XO seems nice. I'm just hoping they'll expend sound-shaping abilities a bit.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I purchased the DD. Like it in many ways - but room for improvment:

- lower the volume of most of the presets
in - 6 dB

-add the solo-button to the fx and edit pages, when you tweak one instrument sound, you will listen not only the solo, but how the sound fits to the other kit pieces, as well.

-add the ”freeze” function to the major tweaks, the user may want to change the presets but use the tweaks.

- recording option inside the sequencer and/or importing MIDI grooves to the sequencer

Undo Feature would be nice. Kinda funny we have to ask for this kinda stuff in 2020. Falcon could use this as well but im sure its a "bridge too far" like all the sequencers complained about 15 years ago.
Takeoffs are optional, landings are mandatory. - Penelope Grenoble O'Malley

+1 for Undo
Selecting adjacent and non adjacent steps/notes (for copy/paste purposes) would i appreciate.
Rightclick (or sth. else) (i can live without "Reset all values") drawing a selection, Shift+Rightclick drawing non adjacent selections
Click on Led Page button(s) activates/deactivates the Page > DD plays only activated (Led lit) Pages.
Thus you can DD let play only Page 1 or Page 1&2, etc. all combis. This should be reflected by Midi drag&drop.
The AUTO button (off Status especially) is superflous anyway imho, or probably i don't see its advantage.

Hi !
I'm new to Falcon and I have questions about Drum Designer ..
How to add your own sequence presets in the window SEQ for individual instruments Kits ?
I mean, of course, using my own midi files in sequence presets ..
Last edited by lulukom on Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lulukom wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:32 pm I have questions about Drum Designer ... how to quickly replace an instrument sample with my own sample?
With Drum Designer there is no importing your own samples.

Thanks for the answer, but you're wrong. You can change and add any samples and synthesizers. But so far I can’t figure out whether it is possible to install midi files as your own sequences in the SEQ window?

lulukom wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:42 pm
Thanks for the answer, but you're wrong. You can change and add any samples and synthesizers.
That's great news! Can you point me in the direction of how to import your own samples? Searching this thread shows numerous replies that it can't be done including one from a UVI developer:
Louis Couka wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:16 am
Obviously no sample import, which could be very useful for some
Not planned for now.
This video review also states that you can't -- "I really, really wish that I could load my own samples into this..." :

https://youtu.be/IismJEn9ifw?t=724

Was this functionality added? What am I overlooking and how can importing your own samples be achieved?

I've known Drum Designer for 2 days and here's one of the options to make my own instrument sounds..
-Open the Tree tab at the top
-Look for your instrument like Kiсk
-Find what its base is made of (Body)
-Choose a Body
-In the center (Tab Edit) of the overall picture you see the Oscillator (OSC) line and see what components the sound is formed from .
-If there is no Sample there, add the Sample as a plus (+)
-From the Browser on the right, drag your sample to the Sample tab (or directly on top of an existing sample)
-All, now you have one of the sound components your own sample
And this is one of many options!))

lulukom wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:38 pm I've known Drum Designer for 2 days and here's one of the options to make my own instrument sounds..
-Open the Tree tab at the top
-Look for your instrument like Kiсk
-Find what its base is made of (Body)
-Choose a Body
-In the center (Tab Edit) of the overall picture you see the Oscillator (OSC) line and see what components the sound is formed from .
-If there is no Sample there, add the Sample as a plus (+)
-From the Browser on the right, drag your sample to the Sample tab (or directly on top of an existing sample)
-All, now you have one of the sound components your own sample
And this is one of many options!))
Thanks! I appreciate the instructions. Not exactly what I'd envision for importing user samples (e.g. starting with an initialized patch) and unsure that it suits my workflow, but I'll give it a shot. If it works for you that's great!

Wow! Excited to try my own samples. Love Drum Designer.

I'm not sure what you guys are talkin' about, there are no way to not have sample in the body element of a kick. If you drag a sample anywhere you'll replace an instrument with that sample.

From UVI's support docs:
Can I Import Custom Samples Into UVI Soundbanks?
What is a UFS file?

Return to “Instruments”