UVI Drum Designer

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
noiseboyuk
KVRAF
2429 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Post Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:03 am

There's a lot I like about Drum Designer, but I've had to abandon using it for now (at least with the sequencer) as its too buggy. Spent ages editing patters, then suddenly it will loose all of its decay values or something and it internally turns everything up to max, and it becomes a swampy mess. All patterns affected. Nothing then brings it back until a plugin restart.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.afterschoolvideoclub.com/
W10 Pro Creators Edition, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2018 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 9
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD

User avatar
sureno
KVRian
753 posts since 4 May, 2008 from West London Depot

Re: UVI Drum Designer

Post Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:48 am

noiseboyuk wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:03 am
There's a lot I like about Drum Designer, but I've had to abandon using it for now (at least with the sequencer) as its too buggy. Spent ages editing patters, then suddenly it will loose all of its decay values or something and it internally turns everything up to max, and it becomes a swampy mess. All patterns affected. Nothing then brings it back until a plugin restart.
THIS +1

Massively needs revising and tweaking before taken seriously as a tool for professional use, the concept is sound, implementation and practicality is somewhat yet to be refined

Louis Couka
KVRer
17 posts since 28 Jul, 2016

Re: UVI Drum Designer

Post Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:05 am

Spent ages editing patters, then suddenly it will loose all of its decay values or something and it internally turns everything up to max, and it becomes a swampy mess
We are really sorry for this trouble, there was an issue about kick's decay save/load which was fixed at 1.0.1.
Louis Couka
Developer - UVI Team
http://louiscouka.com/

Louis Couka
KVRer
17 posts since 28 Jul, 2016

Re: UVI Drum Designer

Post Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:16 am

No undo or reset function
It's not planned unfortunalty (technical limitation)
Obviously no sample import, which could be very useful for some
Not planned for now.
Midi mapping not very usable for sample browsing, can´t map it to a single knob etc
Nothing planned to improve that one too.
Presets or samples can´t be auditioned while editing
Could you make some precisions please ?
No auditioning while browsing samples
We will think about and autoplay function like the one in Falcon.
No "transient" layer for snares or kicks (ex snaps, rims, klicks...)
Yes, DD layer's layouts are not customizable, and they will not be, mainly for technical limitations.
Not possible to re-purpose a slot (ex if you want two different kicks)
Same as for layers.
Presets for individual drums cant be accessed in the kit library and vice versa
You can save the .ddfile from the individual then load the .ddfile from the kit and vice versa. :)
No tom sounds, and only metallic percussion
Known limitation of DD, we thought about it.
A randomize button for sample selection could spark creativity
Not for the sample selection only, but we thought about a general pseudo random function that would take some settings from various existing presets.
It's not planned yet.
Midi sync patchy for the sequencer playback
We prefer to not follow the sequencer infos and let the user split the sequence into 8 notes and trig them manually.
No volume controller in the main view
There is already a volume knob. could you make some details please ?
Sequencer presets change with the kit, no way to lock the sequence for a slot
You can already lock the whole kit/sequence, do you want the feature at the track level ?
Sequencer doesn´t support odd signatures, and can´t do polyrhythms
We'll think about other classic signatures as 6/8,3/4,12/8 and see if there is a solution to do it right.
About polyrythm, it's not trivial. We thought about allowing dotted and more unusual values for the "Link Edition" parameter, so it will let you do polyrhythms over 8 bars. We'll reconsider it.
Preset list extends beyond screen height, adjust to double width (or tag browser)
Yes, you should use the modwheel in this case.
Samples organization is ok (genre based), but a tag based system would be even better
It's really heavy to do a tag based system, it's not planned.
Separate hi-hat and cymbal slots could have made more sense, but not a show stopper
For us : more generic = more flexible.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, always appreciated. :)
Louis Couka
Developer - UVI Team
http://louiscouka.com/

Louis Couka
KVRer
17 posts since 28 Jul, 2016

Re: UVI Drum Designer

Post Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:17 am

hvyen wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:17 am
The possibilty to export the drum sounds as wav file would be nice, too.
Not planned yet, but it would be nice indeed. :)
Louis Couka
Developer - UVI Team
http://louiscouka.com/

noiseboyuk
KVRAF
2429 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Re: UVI Drum Designer

Post Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:00 am

Louis Couka wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:05 am
Spent ages editing patters, then suddenly it will loose all of its decay values or something and it internally turns everything up to max, and it becomes a swampy mess
We are really sorry for this trouble, there was an issue about kick's decay save/load which was fixed at 1.0.1.
That sounds like good news - to confirm my issue was kit-wide when it went, this should fix it even though it is just related to the kick?
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.afterschoolvideoclub.com/
W10 Pro Creators Edition, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2018 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 9
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD

User avatar
hvyen
KVRist
113 posts since 15 Sep, 2008 from Germany

Re: UVI Drum Designer

Post Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:05 am

In short, no features or updates in the future?
Would not be nice, since most missing features or problems you only find out after a long test of DD. UVI should plan Demos in the future, so that you do not start testing after purchase.

JoaquinAce
KVRist
85 posts since 8 Apr, 2018 from SC, USA

Re: UVI Drum Designer

Post Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:22 am

I went back to Spark, Stix and Geist2 so I can use my own samples. Until they allow sample import, it will stay on the shelf for now. It makes no sense to limit a producer's creativity with their own samples.
Artist name: Joaquin Ace
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-654529282

Louis Couka
KVRer
17 posts since 28 Jul, 2016

Re: UVI Drum Designer

Post Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:48 am

That sounds like good news - to confirm my issue was kit-wide when it went, this should fix it even though it is just related to the kick?
The problem was related to the kick only, the decay of the pitch envelope of the kick could change at reload.
Unfortunatly, we didn't see anything about a bug that could affect the entire kit for now.
In short, no features or updates in the future?
There will be an update soon. :)
Louis Couka
Developer - UVI Team
http://louiscouka.com/

noiseboyuk
KVRAF
2429 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Re: UVI Drum Designer

Post Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:50 pm

Louis Couka wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:48 am
That sounds like good news - to confirm my issue was kit-wide when it went, this should fix it even though it is just related to the kick?
The problem was related to the kick only, the decay of the pitch envelope of the kick could change at reload.
Unfortunatly, we didn't see anything about a bug that could affect the entire kit for now.
Ah, not such good news. It's not really useable for me as it is, no point in spending time crafting something that gets obliterated permanently without warning.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.afterschoolvideoclub.com/
W10 Pro Creators Edition, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2018 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 9
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD

Kinh
KVRian
1143 posts since 26 Aug, 2012

Re: UVI Drum Designer

Post Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:08 am

JoaquinAce wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:22 am
I went back to Spark, Stix and Geist2 so I can use my own samples. Until they allow sample import, it will stay on the shelf for now. It makes no sense to limit a producer's creativity with their own samples.
When you say you went back to Geist, was there a reason you went off it? Is there something better that DD offered such as workflow for example?
I see many youtube vids on Geist and compared to Ableton it looks very messy. Was that the reason?

JoaquinAce
KVRist
85 posts since 8 Apr, 2018 from SC, USA

Re: UVI Drum Designer

Post Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:44 am

Kinh wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:08 am
JoaquinAce wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:22 am
I went back to Spark, Stix and Geist2 so I can use my own samples. Until they allow sample import, it will stay on the shelf for now. It makes no sense to limit a producer's creativity with their own samples.
When you say you went back to Geist, was there a reason you went off it? Is there something better that DD offered such as workflow for example?
I see many youtube vids on Geist and compared to Ableton it looks very messy. Was that the reason?
Geist2 was my first sequencer which I used to load my own samples. My preference by far is to use Metrum for my kick drums. And then I use different channels for my percussion (ie not use a sequencer). However, in the odd time that I wanted to use a sequencer, I just grabbed the one I used first. Now I have started looking at Breaktweaker and most recently Stix and Spark. Currently I am investing more time in learning Stix and Spark since I like their workflow more.
Artist name: Joaquin Ace
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-654529282

The Mantra
KVRist
175 posts since 8 Oct, 2013

Re: UVI Drum Designer

Post Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:34 am

It’s always encouraging to see developers being engaged and responsive. I also like to hear that there is some kind of update in the pipeline.

I hope that a global tuning or enhanced drum tuning workflow Gets added eventually.

kingryan
KVRist
57 posts since 28 Oct, 2007

Re: UVI Drum Designer

Post Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:56 pm

@Louis Couka. Considering the 'Technical Limitations' are you going to adjust the price accordingly?

Kamikaze Coda
KVRer
27 posts since 21 Sep, 2018

Re: UVI Drum Designer

Post Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:07 pm

Louis Couka wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:16 am
No undo or reset function
It's not planned unfortunalty (technical limitation)
Midi sync patchy for the sequencer playback
We prefer to not follow the sequencer infos and let the user split the sequence into 8 notes and trig them manually.
Sequencer doesn´t support odd signatures, and can´t do polyrhythms
We'll think about other classic signatures as 6/8,3/4,12/8 and see if there is a solution to do it right.
About polyrythm, it's not trivial. We thought about allowing dotted and more unusual values for the "Link Edition" parameter, so it will let you do polyrhythms over 8 bars. We'll reconsider it.

Damn, that's really put me off. After FXpansion pulled Tremor, I was looking for an alternative. I didn't really want the sample route, but this really peaked my interest.

CTRL Z should be a standard. Syncing sequencers is a problem from the late 80''s not 2018. I had inetended to run this in paralell with anther StepSequencer (which does odd time signature). I could have lived without the odd time sigantures, but CTRL Z and Midi Sync, that's essential.

Return to “Instruments”