Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Gone soft
KVRian
959 posts since 3 Oct, 2011

Post Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:26 am

overhishead wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:46 am
question,

I just fired Surge up and clicked LFO1 twice, assigned that to a LPF cutoff in Filter1, adjusted the modulation range, and when i hold a long chord it sounds like it's not just a filter, but more, it sounds like it's arpeggiating the notes of the chord and I don't understand why but it's cool. normal synths just flatten everything with one filter at the end. does surge have a polyphonic filter?
LFO1 is a special one with capability to trigger the envelopes, read up on it in the manual and see if perhaps that's what's going on. EDIT: only in stepsequencer mode though.

Gone soft
KVRian
959 posts since 3 Oct, 2011

Re: Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

Post Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:30 am

Oh, probably got you wrong overhishead. Yes, both filters and also the first six LFOs are polyphonic. :-)

brok landers
KVRAF
6109 posts since 26 Sep, 2003 from right here, as you can see ...

Re: Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

Post Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:09 am

hi baconpaul,
as i understand it, you're one of the developers of surge now - thanks for taken over the burden. :tu: :tu:
would it be possible to implement, that one can specify the start phase of the oscs, in steps of 360°, as soon as the phase of the osc is locked? for each osc separately? i really miss that function tremendously...
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

baconpaul
KVRist
178 posts since 25 Dec, 2018

Re: Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

Post Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:44 am

Thanks for the comments all.

Pan per oscillator is a feature I have wanted for almost a year and it is super hard in current surge. I set it as a goal for the rearchitechted version indeed. So if I am able to pull off that rework we will get that feature.

Oscillator Start phase is in the same bucket. Long standing request but hard to add

The reason it’s hard to add is because we are out of params in the internal data structure and ui so need to expand those. Once you start that you are opening up the whole thing - and so might as well open it up properly. That’s surge++

If you have GitHub id I can point you at the issues to follow.

And if you are a c++ developer I could use some coding help!

And thanks for all the feedback.

User avatar
EvilDragon
KVRAF
18993 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Re: Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

Post Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:47 am

overhishead wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:46 am
question,

I just fired Surge up and clicked LFO1 twice, assigned that to a LPF cutoff in Filter1, adjusted the modulation range, and when i hold a long chord it sounds like it's not just a filter, but more, it sounds like it's arpeggiating the notes of the chord and I don't understand why but it's cool. normal synths just flatten everything with one filter at the end. does surge have a polyphonic filter?
Yes the filter in Surge is polyphonic. But you used regular LFOs which are polyphonic, so every played voice gets its own LFO modulation. Had you used SLFOs (scene LFOs), then all voices would have the same modulation.

brok landers
KVRAF
6109 posts since 26 Sep, 2003 from right here, as you can see ...

Re: Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

Post Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:33 pm

baconpaul wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:44 am
Thanks for the comments all.

Pan per oscillator is a feature I have wanted for almost a year and it is super hard in current surge. I set it as a goal for the rearchitechted version indeed. So if I am able to pull off that rework we will get that feature.

Oscillator Start phase is in the same bucket. Long standing request but hard to add

The reason it’s hard to add is because we are out of params in the internal data structure and ui so need to expand those. Once you start that you are opening up the whole thing - and so might as well open it up properly. That’s surge++

If you have GitHub id I can point you at the issues to follow.

And if you are a c++ developer I could use some coding help!

And thanks for all the feedback.
thanks. patiently waiting... :tu:
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

zzz00m
KVRAF
2014 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Re: Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

Post Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:02 pm

It would be very cool to see a "BIGTONE" patch bank released for Surge! :tu:
Windows 10; with instruments from AAS, Ableton, AIR, Ample Sound, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, PreSonus, Seaweed Audio, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, UVI, Vember Audio, Waves, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...

brok landers
KVRAF
6109 posts since 26 Sep, 2003 from right here, as you can see ...

Re: Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

Post Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:38 pm

zzz00m wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:02 pm
It would be very cool to see a "BIGTONE" patch bank released for Surge! :tu:
maybe, if i find the time... and if the osc phase feature is in - cos that is what i really miss in surge...
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

User avatar
EvilDragon
KVRAF
18993 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Re: Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

Post Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:53 pm

You can still do a lot even without osc phase parameter, though ;)

User avatar
evilantal
KVRian
903 posts since 13 Mar, 2008 from Arnhem, Netherlands

Re: Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

Post Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:26 am

I keep getting this weird error when my DAW scans the plugin or I try to load it.
Once I click the error away (have to do several times when loading the plugin) the plugin seems to work as normal... The plugin loads with the init patch.

Wav File Load Error
Sorry, Surge only supports power-of-2-samplecount wavetables up to 4096 with at least 3 loops at this time. You provided a wavetable with 1 loops of 512 samples.
Demo work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com
Music for media: http://www.myendlessy.com

bjclulu
KVRer
25 posts since 8 Mar, 2009

Re: Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

Post Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:46 pm

Share a good Surge tutorial :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32yEQ00ofcw

and please share more !
Thank you

baconpaul
KVRist
178 posts since 25 Dec, 2018

Re: Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

Post Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:16 am

evilantal wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:26 am
I keep getting this weird error when my DAW scans the plugin or I try to load it.
Once I click the error away (have to do several times when loading the plugin) the plugin seems to work as normal... The plugin loads with the init patch.

Wav File Load Error
Sorry, Surge only supports power-of-2-samplecount wavetables up to 4096 with at least 3 loops at this time. You provided a wavetable with 1 loops of 512 samples.
Huh that’s really odd. I wonder if your local app data surge is corrupted somehow. Does the window oscillator work ok?

I can adjust that error message I think so it shows the file name attempted to load. That would help

But my rough guess is that your dll is correct but the anculliary assets are not. When you swap the init patch to the wavetable or window oscillator do you see all the tables and in window does the window type work without crashing?

https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues/1259 is the GitHub issue.

baconpaul
KVRist
178 posts since 25 Dec, 2018

Re: Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

Post Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:01 am

bjclulu wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:46 pm
Share a good Surge tutorial :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32yEQ00ofcw

and please share more !
Thank you
https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/su ... bout-Surge

we collected a bunch of them on the wiki if folks want! In fact J R Hill who made the video was the person who wrote the wiki, and he also added a collection of WT and Patches to the 1.6.3 release.

Thanks for sharing!

bjclulu
KVRer
25 posts since 8 Mar, 2009

Re: Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

Post Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:24 am

baconpaul wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:01 am
bjclulu wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:46 pm
Share a good Surge tutorial :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32yEQ00ofcw

and please share more !
Thank you
https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/su ... bout-Surge

we collected a bunch of them on the wiki if folks want! In fact J R Hill who made the video was the person who wrote the wiki, and he also added a collection of WT and Patches to the 1.6.3 release.

Thanks for sharing!
I realy like the J R Hill's tutorial , save me lot of time on manual ! :tu: :tu: :tu:
Thanks for the "Videos about Surge" page link

brok landers
KVRAF
6109 posts since 26 Sep, 2003 from right here, as you can see ...

Re: Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

Post Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:06 pm

EvilDragon wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:53 pm
You can still do a lot even without osc phase parameter, though ;)
oh, i'm not denying that, it's an extremely versatile synth, no question. yet, the possibility to lock and adjust the osc phase is something you can't work around, once you need it - and sometimes it is crucial. and as i like surge and it still is actively developed, i thought i mention it. was worth a try...
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

Return to “Instruments”