Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

dune_rave wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:50 pm
Unify is just a great new tool - a plugin to combine differeent plugins into a new sound.
I used surge vst2, 64bit.
Anyway, Surge works in unify, only the zoom is problematic.
Can you try the VST3 instead?

Erisian wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:39 pm Sorry I'm late to the party but I just have to say this.
I think Surge is one of the most impressive free synths out there. To persuade an old codger like me to put down his analogue emulations for five minutes and enjoy something unashamedly digital takes little more than a miracle. I came across vst synths at a time when the only open source synths I could find were ZynAddSubFX which only shipped with LMMS at the time and a rather bad Juno emulation. Now some of the greatest digital synths are open source and this is one of them (the best IMO)
Big thanks for this Vember Audio! :)
Thank you! We appreciate the kind words! And thanks to Claes for deciding to open source it 18 months ago so we could form the team around the codebase to keep it alive.

baconpaul wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:09 pm
Unify is just a great new tool - a plugin to combine differeent plugins into a new sound.
I could try of course,
but my plan and decision is to use the vst2 format.

In this case, you're really better off with VST3. I know, it took me some time to get to the same conclusion, but it was worth it in the end. VST2 is likely not going to get a lot of attention as far as Surge is concerned, at least not from baconpaul. If you can find somebody else to take a look at the code and remedy it, by all means, be our guest :) But until then, VST3 of Surge works better than VST2.

Examigan wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:50 am
EvilDragon wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:10 am
Examigan wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:58 pm Zoom is still an issue for me in Cakewalk by Bandlab, and I already downloaded the latest version of Surge (VST2) and Cakewalk.
Can you try VST3 version?
That's strange that I never did try that one, and... it works! Thanks :)

Is there a reason VST2 doesn't resize correctly? Just curious, as I have other VST2 versions of plugins that resize correctly.
Why not just ask other developers how such resizing in VST2 works, and then implement it in Surge?
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

HunterKiller wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:00 am
Examigan wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:50 am
EvilDragon wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:10 am
Examigan wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:58 pm Zoom is still an issue for me in Cakewalk by Bandlab, and I already downloaded the latest version of Surge (VST2) and Cakewalk.
Can you try VST3 version?
That's strange that I never did try that one, and... it works! Thanks :)

Is there a reason VST2 doesn't resize correctly? Just curious, as I have other VST2 versions of plugins that resize correctly.
Why not just ask other developers how such resizing in VST2 works, and then implement it in Surge?
Go for it! Our website describes how to build the code and submit a pull request. I would be happy to merge a request which improved VST2 zooming. Thanks!

dune_rave wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:53 pm
baconpaul wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:09 pm
I could try of course,
but my plan and decision is to use the vst2 format.
OK! I think the VST3 would probably fix your problem, but in any case I hope you enjoy making music with surge! Best.

Can the VST3 version replace the VST2 version properly in existing projects already (VST3 version can load with same settings as VST2)?

Dandruff wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:57 pm Can the VST3 version replace the VST2 version properly in existing projects already (VST3 version can load with same settings as VST2)?
I don't know if any DAWs can do this, even though the internal format surge uses is the same. But we aren't discontinuing the VST2 (nor could we. You have the files!). We are just trying to get everyone to use the VST3 going forward.

REAPER can do it but I'm not sure if the plugin has to have support for this too.

Oh cool I’ll try with REAPER and see how it works out!

Ok, thanks. Just can't find the related thread in the REAPER forums but it was announced some time ago there ...

Dandruff wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:57 pm Can the VST3 version replace the VST2 version properly in existing projects already (VST3 version can load with same settings as VST2)?
No, I tried , surge can't load with same settings as VST2

Surge makes a lot of fun, love the latch function to build up drones. Thanks for all the time and work put into this project. Anyway, I wonder if there is a way to change the colors of the UI?
rabbit in a hole

baconpaul wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:16 pm
I don't know if any DAWs can do this, even though the internal format surge uses is the same. But we aren't discontinuing the VST2 (nor could we. You have the files!). We are just trying to get everyone to use the VST3 going forward.
So you would recommend to use vst3 over vst2? Surge would be my first vst3. Don't know why but I'm still hesitate to use vst3. :oops:
rabbit in a hole

Return to “Instruments”