Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

ZeePok wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:38 pm Kind of feeling spoken to here. (Old reckonings, maybe? ;))
Wouldn't know why, TBH. :)

And, don't take what i wrote too serious. Just ranting a bit about the ranting. And, about the fact that people always expect so much. Open sourcing it is the salvation, and then everyone complains about bugs, speed of development, or non-existant support. While very often the last final/stable/whatever release works well. Not talking about you specifically, just what i see in this thread.

TBH, when i saw that this is Open Source'd, i expected… nothing. Because i know the way it often goes with free Open Source projects. I know them from Linux and the Windows world. Except for very few examples, there always was much more manpower, and speed in development, when it's a payware, preferrably with a bigger company behind it. What i expect will happen with Surge is that some Linux freelancer picks it up, and we'll see something like ZynAddFusion/ZynAddSubFx. Or it'll be abandoned all along after a while. Not because i'm a pessimist, but, because i know what happens with most of these small Open Source projects.

Maybe it's also a matter of how 'maintainable' the code is to other people?

This is the best free synth out there at the moment. Props to Vember Audio and kurasu! Thanks for making this beautiful plug free for everyone! :hail:

The reason it does not work as the original is because the released version is a development version in which the original creator was trying to update some libraries, mainly the VST framework (with VST3 support) and VSTGUI so we could compile it on all platforms. We are working (well, it's more like kmattheussen is working) on compiling it on Linux and there is someone also trying to do it on macOS. We cannot really promise anything but some work is being done and personally I won't abandon it although it will be slow. As someone else said, paid projects always have the preference and are faster to develop, because we are also people who need to eat and taking over a complex programming project from someone else is pretty hard.

Do you eat babies?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:53 am Do you eat babies?
Stalin eat

Jorgeelalto wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:34 am The reason it does not work as the original is because the released version is a development version in which the original creator was trying to update some libraries, mainly the VST framework (with VST3 support) and VSTGUI so we could compile it on all platforms. We are working (well, it's more like kmattheussen is working) on compiling it on Linux and there is someone also trying to do it on macOS. We cannot really promise anything but some work is being done and personally I won't abandon it although it will be slow. As someone else said, paid projects always have the preference and are faster to develop, because we are also people who need to eat and taking over a complex programming project from someone else is pretty hard.
Thank you very much for the hard work!! Un abrazo y energía
Regards
La Selección "Definitiva" de Software Musical Gratuito
https://selecciondefinitiva.wordpress.com/

Iu Gob wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:54 pm
Jorgeelalto wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:34 am The reason it does not work as the original is because the released version is a development version in which the original creator was trying to update some libraries, mainly the VST framework (with VST3 support) and VSTGUI so we could compile it on all platforms. We are working (well, it's more like kmattheussen is working) on compiling it on Linux and there is someone also trying to do it on macOS. We cannot really promise anything but some work is being done and personally I won't abandon it although it will be slow. As someone else said, paid projects always have the preference and are faster to develop, because we are also people who need to eat and taking over a complex programming project from someone else is pretty hard.
Thank you very much for the hard work!! Un abrazo y energía
Regards
What he said – thank you very much for your enthusiasm and unselfish work!

Kind regards,

Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

I didn't release any 1.5.x binaries on purpose, as that would distract from getting the 1.6 code-base building on all platforms and squashing the remaining bugs.

I didn't release any 1.5.x binaries on purpose, as that would distract from getting the 1.6 code-base building on all platforms and squashing the remaining bugs.

kurasu wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:12 pm I didn't release any 1.5.x binaries on purpose, as that would distract from getting the 1.6 code-base building on all platforms and squashing the remaining bugs.
:tu:

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

kurasu wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:12 pm I didn't release any 1.5.x binaries on purpose, as that would distract from getting the 1.6 code-base building on all platforms and squashing the remaining bugs.

So they ARE still closed and can't be shared? :?:

this is a really great synth. I remember when it came out but didn't have the cash to buy it. I'm amazed at how cpu-efficient it is considering all the features and the versatility.

Is it going to be the new Synth1? (ie. best, most versatile freeware) :o
THIS IS MY MUSIC: http://spoti.fi/45P2xls :phones:

It is nice to know that people are working on this, I hope we can get it on Linux soon!

I cant help with code, but I could help translate it, if we ever get there.

I've created an account just for this thread, Vember Audio Surge is really one of the best plugins out there, and i wanted to check if there is a 64 bit version for mac. ( i've used the 32 bit version with 32Lives for mac)
I decided to not install 32Lives on my new SSD drive using Mojave OS after i found this thread, it will be worth to wait a (hopefully) little and get a proper 64 bit version.
Good luck to the developers and make sure to add a link for donations when the plugin is ready.

Return to “Instruments”