Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

No GUI in EnergyXT. Would this be an easy fix?

MattmaN wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:08 am No GUI in EnergyXT. Would this be an easy fix?
which version do you need for energyxt? .vst2, .vst3, .component? windows? mac?

MattmaN wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:08 am No GUI in EnergyXT. Would this be an easy fix?
There won't be if you're attempting this with a 64 bit build, you need to use the original 32 bit version.

_al_ wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:15 pm Anyone know if i would be violating the EULA by sharing 1.52?
Surely it's now under the same rules as the 1.60?
Don't just say "yeah" because you want it. just answer if you know about these things
Yes, you would. Unless the original developer/owner changes the EULA.
It is probably not possible (and wouldn’t make sense) to open source the older version, as, what has been pointed out already, the used libraries had been adapted for portability.
For me personally only the new version is useful as it supports the Mac and MPE...
Those who still run 32-bit would be served best with the old builds. No one who would get into coding would want to deal with old systems anyway, this is only possible for commercial projects... (unless the coder herself is running an ancient system)
But that is the advantage of open source: if you can, you can fix it yourself. To make a project compile for an older system is theoretically just a switch in Xcode... practically it will fail if any of the incorporated libraries requires a higher system... I guess the same applies for windows and Linux...

How does it now support MPE?

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:01 am How does it now support MPE?
one guy is looking at MPE support now:
https://github.com/kurasu/surge/issues/93
MPE support seems somewhere between inconsistent and buggy. There was an issue #2 to this also but it got closed quickly. Though with the new AU version and my seaboard, I am not getting a very good result. There's also some oddities in the UI - like being able to assign midi controllers by number rather than learn - which are needed to make it easier.

So I started a branch. I'll see if I can figure out anything! Anyone wanting to help or try welcome along.

I'm going to start seeing if I can get per-note pitch bend reliably coming from my seaboard through logic into surge. This issue is a placeholder for the effort.

Not surprised really, if anything I'm amazed it can even provide some semblance of MPE support considering its age but perhaps trying to get it to do this at this stage when it still needs some more basic issues addressing, like even functioning on some platforms, is a bit like trying to run before we can walk?

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:05 pm Not surprised really, if anything I'm amazed it can even provide some semblance of MPE support considering its age but perhaps trying to get it to do this at this stage when it still needs some more basic issues addressing, like even functioning on some platforms, is a bit like trying to run before we can walk?
Which basic issues?

Works like a charm on z.primes build...

MPE isn‘t that complicated: each voice has to remember the midi channel it received a note on, and filters out any message with a different one except for channel 1...

esaruoho wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:29 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:05 pm Not surprised really, if anything I'm amazed it can even provide some semblance of MPE support considering its age but perhaps trying to get it to do this at this stage when it still needs some more basic issues addressing, like even functioning on some platforms, is a bit like trying to run before we can walk?
Which basic issues?
Like not yet fully functional on all platforms

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:06 pm
Works like a charm on z.primes build...
Yes but how? Is this a case of having specific options for MPE like Cypher or Polyana with different functions set to different control dimensions or just that (like most other plugins) it doesnt cause too many problems in the few hosts that have a force MPE mode like Bitwig?

Well, I just tested it in Bitwig and it works as expected... Maybe I come across issues if I dig deeper. But for me the first and most important is the polyphonic pitch bend, if that works, I am already 80% happy...

the github repo has been updated and now anyone can build a macos 64bit audiounit out of it. there's tons of work going into fixing zoom, creating installer packages and other stuff like trying to create a standalone linux app for it and also turning the interface into vectors and fixing other bugs. still no windows/linux builds though. so far i've seen a vst2 and an audiounit build there.

if anyone has the time or the skills to get into this, please do? http://github.com/kurasu/surge

esaruoho wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:23 pm
which version do you need for energyxt? .vst2, .vst3, .component? windows? mac?
Windows vst2 :)

Return to “Instruments”