Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
5718 posts since 9 Jul, 2002 from Helsinki

Post Thu May 27, 2021 7:54 pm

This doesn't have anything to do with piano rolls or vstis, the behaviour you describe is how synthesizers and specifically their envelopes work. Or in this case, the single envelope generator.

KVRian
1068 posts since 6 May, 2010 from Munich, Germany

Post Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:11 am

Hi Guys,
I have a lot of wavetables in the format for serum that work in Icarus, Synthmaster, Picments or Halion, Hive2.
Only in Surge some don't work. With some the error message appears that it is the wrong format, with others the wavetable is played back completely. Like a sample.
Can anyone confirm this and will it be fixed in the future? That would be great because for me Surge is one of my favorites.
best regards
Piet
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

KVRAF
21707 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:28 am

Can you post those wavetables?

Serum format is fully supported, though, as far as I know. Unless it's a 24-bit wavetable, that's not supported (and probably isn't gonna be).

KVRer
18 posts since 9 Jun, 2017

Post Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:39 am

Just wanted to say, I like the direction Surge is going of collecting lots of quality free open-source FX. Exploring and installing these individually is work, and there's a real service in doing some curation for us (as well as a service to the creators for exposure---and I'll definitely also download FX I really like).

KVRAF
4240 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:36 am

Found a bug in the new TWIST dsp module ,
When lpg is enabled for osc 1 ( also the only osc enabled in the mixer ) and osc fm routing is set to 2--1 , fm depth to zero , this somehow influences osc 1 , bug goes away lpg is disabled .
Steps to reproduce
-for osc 1 choose TWIST , engine waveshaper ..increase fold to add some harmonic content
-Enable Low pass gate ( right click enable )
-Set low pass gate response to 40 % , decay to 100 %
-Set all mixer channels to zero except for osc 1
-Now alternatae between NO FM ,2-1 in the oscillator fm routing , make sure the FM amount slider is set to zero
Notice how switching between FM modes actually changes the sound of osc 1 while there is no FM going on , when one of thefm tabs is enabled , it actually shortens the lpg decay ??
Disabling the lpg mode gets rid of it
Here's a screenshot of the setting , the yellow square showing the mode to switch between
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

KVRist
404 posts since 25 Dec, 2018

Post Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:41 pm

Thanks, recorded https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues/4689 and will investigate in the next cycle

KVRAF
9118 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:07 am

Hey I just wanted to throw out an idea. I know you guys want to keep the synth mostly on one page, which is tough for a synth with so many parameters, so they end up being pretty small. I was thinking about Omnisphere does the zoom thing, which is really cool, but has the consequence of having to dive into a lot of sub pages. I think it would be cool to have a zoom for each section that opens a larger window of those controls. So even though all the controls are on the main page (unlike Omnisphere), having a window that zoomz to make controls bigger would make it work great for smaller screens as well as bigger screens where you can already see all parameters at a decent size. I don't think any plugin has done that before, but I could be wrong.
System: Windows 10, Dell XPS 2-in-1, Bitwig 3, Steinberg UR44.

KVRist
63 posts since 11 Jul, 2020

Post Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:15 am

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:07 am
Hey I just wanted to throw out an idea. I know you guys want to keep the synth mostly on one page, which is tough for a synth with so many parameters, so they end up being pretty small. I was thinking about Omnisphere does the zoom thing, which is really cool, but has the consequence of having to dive into a lot of sub pages. I think it would be cool to have a zoom for each section that opens a larger window of those controls. So even though all the controls are on the main page (unlike Omnisphere), having a window that zoomz to make controls bigger would make it work great for smaller screens as well as bigger screens where you can already see all parameters at a decent size. I don't think any plugin has done that before, but I could be wrong.
Great idea :tu:

KVRAF
2121 posts since 10 Jan, 2005

Post Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:14 am

IIRC Zebra and Vital have zoomed panels for envelope/MSEG and LFO controls.

-Mario

KVRAF

Post Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:43 am

Indeed, Zebra and Vital at the very least have those zoomed in panels. So does Surge's MSEG editor, actually.

KVRAF
6344 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:27 pm

Vital is not the best. The gui isatrocious. Plus Zebra could do what Vital can do years ago. nothing new here. :x :idea:
EnergyXT3 - Reaper | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

KVRist
181 posts since 2 Nov, 2017

Post Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:07 pm

Except of course one of em is free and open source ;)

KVRist
482 posts since 27 Feb, 2007

Post Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:00 am

Im not a fan of digital filter envelope, its attack is kinda delayed too much compared to analog , harder to sync both types.
Will it ever be able to accept samples maybe in osc panel ? :hyper:

KVRAF

Post Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:17 am

You have three different curves available in digital envelope mode.

We're undecided on allowing samples inside Surge (well, you can hack it with .WT format wavetables set to oneshot mode, kinda), I would personally like to leave samples to Shortcircuit.

KVRist
31 posts since 5 Mar, 2021

Post Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:53 pm

EvilDragon wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:17 am
We're undecided on allowing samples inside Surge (well, you can hack it with .WT format wavetables set to oneshot mode, kinda), I would personally like to leave samples to Shortcircuit.
I’m glad you mention Shortcircuit.
I’m looking forward to it immensely. Any chance of a status update on the progress? Perhaps a screen shot?

Return to “Instruments”