Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

U-o wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:43 pm Is it possible to increase UI just a little bit?
there are tickets open for implementing zooming, and for the creation of SVG vector gfx so it can be easily upscaled.

by using the Zoom +/- that is available in the 64bit audiounit, i got it to look like this:
Fullscreen_03_01_2019__21_55.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chk071 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:56 pm Any estimates when we will see a fully working, stable version then?
again, what is missing?
aMUSEd has brought to light that saving of presets can be shitty so that's one thing that is dinging it down from being fully working.
there are some glitches with certain presets.

but what else is there? <- you might harrumph at me, see, but the reason i'm asking this, instead of just going "oh well yeah it's not fully working and stable is it *hangs head in shame* *reaches for the hangman's rope*" is:

if there are actual, proper bugs in there: name them!
that way they can be documented and fixed.

otherwise it's just the "well yeah so like uh not 1000% perfect" argument which is seriously lacking in actual, usable information.

esaruoho wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:58 pm
U-o wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:43 pm Is it possible to increase UI just a little bit?
there are tickets open for implementing zooming, and for the creation of SVG vector gfx so it can be easily upscaled.

by using the Zoom +/- that is available in the 64bit audiounit, i got it to look like this:
Fullscreen_03_01_2019__21_55.jpg
That is really cool - have to say it's pretty amazing that in the space of a few weeks you folks are managing to do (on a spare time basis as well) what entire companies um and ah over for like years in some cases :) (not naming any names...cough's for lack of Air :))

aMUSEd wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:12 pm That is really cool - have to say it's pretty amazing that in the space of a few weeks you folks are managing to do (on a spare time basis as well) what entire companies um and ah over for like years in some cases :) (not naming any names...cough's for lack of Air :))

it's all thanks to baconpaul, kzantow and quite a few others. baconpaul did a massive amount of work

esaruoho wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:53 am
Neopneumokok wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:41 am Do you know how to import your own wavetables? My Surge keeps crashing when I drag & drop a wav sample into the oscillator window.
query: is Surge supposed to support "drag'n'drop wav sample into oscillator window"? Is that in the documentation? I haven't read the original documentation, so I really wouldn't know. Is that how Surge1.5 did it?
Yes I created it after I posted here when I decided it was better to post there than here.

esaruoho wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:35 pm
MattmaN wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:53 am Any word on a Energyxt gui fix for windows vst2?
can you be more specific. which windows? 32bit? 64bit? which EnergyXT version?
Win 7 home
32bit EnergyXT 3.0, and 2.7

Im wayyyy late to the party on this (i have the 2nd version of Surge that was uploaded on Github and haven't kept up with the changes), and I dont know if its still an issue or not, but when browsing through the presets one by one starting from the 1st category, there were about 5 or 6 presets that caused my DAWs to crash. I checked in Reaper, FLStudio, Cakewalk, Reason, AKAI MPC, Orion; 32 & 64 bit, same presets. They were different presets in I believe the Bass, Keys & Atmosphere categories (if not those, then definitely whichever the 1st 3 are). There could be more but I ran out of time to test. I didn't see anything familiar about the presets such as which wavetable, filters, or parameters that were in common. Again, this was with the 2nd build of Surge as open source and I uavent touched it since then.

If these have been addressed, I apologize for bringing it up and the vague information regarding it. My hard drive crashed on New Yeras and I just got it back up and running again
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Saukar30 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:29 am Im wayyyy late to the party on this (i have the 2nd version of Surge that was uploaded on Github and haven't kept up with the changes), and I dont know if its still an issue or not, but when browsing through the presets one by one starting from the 1st category, there were about 5 or 6 presets that caused my DAWs to crash. I checked in Reaper, FLStudio, Cakewalk, Reason, AKAI MPC, Orion; 32 & 64 bit, same presets. They were different presets in I believe the Bass, Keys & Atmosphere categories (if not those, then definitely whichever the 1st 3 are). There could be more but I ran out of time to test. I didn't see anything familiar about the presets such as which wavetable, filters, or parameters that were in common. Again, this was with the 2nd build of Surge as open source and I uavent touched it since then.

If these have been addressed, I apologize for bringing it up and the vague information regarding it. My hard drive crashed on New Yeras and I just got it back up and running again
Can you point to the specific patch names please? Would be much appreciated.

MattmaN wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:00 am
esaruoho wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:53 am
Neopneumokok wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:41 am Do you know how to import your own wavetables? My Surge keeps crashing when I drag & drop a wav sample into the oscillator window.
query: is Surge supposed to support "drag'n'drop wav sample into oscillator window"? Is that in the documentation? I haven't read the original documentation, so I really wouldn't know. Is that how Surge1.5 did it?
Yes I created it after I posted here when I decided it was better to post there than here.
Ppl on GitHub posted about it a bit last night, where Code for dragndrop for macOS at least was missing. To be aware of something that is missing is 95% the battle. Thanks for making ppl aware of it!!

esaruoho wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:06 pm
ENV1 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:57 pm
layzer wrote:no go. i get some error about entry point not found in shell32 or something using the v1.6 dll.... ah well, i guess i'll stick to v1.5.
Thats an XP incompatibility then. It works fine (see note below) in Win7. Its also perfectly safe to move the .dll and/or the .vst3 to your desired location, the only thing thats important is to leave the resources in local appdata because the plugin absolutely expects them there. (Otherwise it will throw an error message and then start with only 'Classic' available in the oscillators, and of course no presets.)

Note: So far it starts fine and seems to work fine, (more testing required to be sure), but what i can already say is that in 99% of the cases it crashes the host upon removal or upon exiting the host with it still running. Not a good sign, but only tested with VSTHost so far. Will do some more checking tomorrow.
could you post your modifications to http://github.com/kurasu/surge/issues/new ?
Not sure what you mean, i havent made any modifications.

Maybe you meant to quote some other post?

I guess we have to create accounts on Github to report issues now, right? Because I just downloaded and installed the "Windows 64-bit VST/VST3" version (1.7), and the installer doesn't work properly. I had downloaded the v.1.7 version from https://kzantow.github.io/surge.

I had uninstalled my 1.6.0.b3 VST2 version before trying to install the 1.7 VST3 version. When I went to install the v.1.7 VST3 version, it said a previous VST2 version was installed, and that, even though I didn't select the VST2 version in this new (v.1.7) VST3 install, it would not uninstall the old version. That would be fine, except that when I uninstalled the VST2 version before attempting to install the new version, it removed everything--including the folder the VST2 files were in. There was no .DLL or installer files left for the old version.

So I told it to install the VST3 version anyway...and all it did was put the uninstaller files in my VST2 folder, and a .DLL (not a .VST3) file in my VST3 folder. I ended up with a broken uninstaller (since there was nothing in the VST2 folder to remove), and a .DLL where .VST3 files should be.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

I finally sat down and checked the latest version out! It's really quite a nice synth with a lot of flexibility and some unique features! Thanks a lot to all the contributors! :tu:

Here is a super basic pad I made while testing Surge :hihi:
https://soundcloud.com/deltasign/surge-basic-pad

Delta Sign wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:24 am I finally sat down and checked the latest version out! It's really quite a nice synth with a lot of flexibility and some unique features! Thanks a lot to all the contributors! :tu:

Here is a super basic pad I made while testing Surge :hihi:
https://soundcloud.com/deltasign/surge-basic-pad
Amazing sound, sounds huge! Love your stuff :love:

this is a great synth
i still use it a lot to this day...
interesting to see how it develops..

It's a fantastic synth and some of the factory patches are outstanding - I particularly love Claus' 'Bell Pad' - so beautiful. Ironically though it never really seems to have been used to its fullest, 'Bell Pad', for example, is one of the few that fully makes use of the macro system, it looks almost like no one noticed it, and very few patches make use of both layers, not to mention the 12 LFOs per layer.

Return to “Instruments”