Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

esaruoho wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:59 pm
Saukar30 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:29 am Im wayyyy late to the party on this (i have the 2nd version of Surge that was uploaded on Github and haven't kept up with the changes), and I dont know if its still an issue or not, but when browsing through the presets one by one starting from the 1st category, there were about 5 or 6 presets that caused my DAWs to crash. I checked in Reaper, FLStudio, Cakewalk, Reason, AKAI MPC, Orion; 32 & 64 bit, same presets. They were different presets in I believe the Bass, Keys & Atmosphere categories (if not those, then definitely whichever the 1st 3 are). There could be more but I ran out of time to test. I didn't see anything familiar about the presets such as which wavetable, filters, or parameters that were in common. Again, this was with the 2nd build of Surge as open source and I uavent touched it since then.

If these have been addressed, I apologize for bringing it up and the vague information regarding it. My hard drive crashed on New Yeras and I just got it back up and running again
are you able to see this issue happen still, and could you point to a specific two presets that, when loaded, cause a crash? that does sound pretty horrible. but Bass, Keys and Atmospheres are huge!
Sure. That behavior was from the first build of Surge on Github. I just got my computer back up & running and installed the latest 1.7 build.

Specs= Win 10, 32 GB ram, 1tb hd, reaper 5.9675(current version).

I tried it briefly as I was reinstalling all of my programs anda now what happens is when I click on the preset arrows, Surge gets stuck. I cant play any sounds, change any parameters or change presets at all. I'll check it out again after work (crazy 12 hr dys lately). Is there a specific build that I should try?
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

bojanboyss wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:02 pm Have one issue though, scene A cant be copied to scene B. Checked manual but there is no right click menu and I right clicked everywhere.
well, i opened a ticket and then closed it

because it does work.

Saukar30 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:35 pm
esaruoho wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:59 pm are you able to see this issue happen still, and could you point to a specific two presets that, when loaded, cause a crash? that does sound pretty horrible. but Bass, Keys and Atmospheres are huge!
Sure. That behavior was from the first build of Surge on Github. I just got my computer back up & running and installed the latest 1.7 build.

Specs= Win 10, 32 GB ram, 1tb hd, reaper 5.9675(current version).

I tried it briefly as I was reinstalling all of my programs anda now what happens is when I click on the preset arrows, Surge gets stuck. I cant play any sounds, change any parameters or change presets at all. I'll check it out again after work (crazy 12 hr dys lately). Is there a specific build that I should try?
hi, thanks for replying!
yeah, you wanna install the builds here: https://kzantow.github.io/surge/
as they are the newest.
in those, i am able to switch presets no problem.

mutantdog wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:29 pm
esaruoho wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:05 pm
mutantdog wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:21 pm Some problem here with no GUI in Live 10 on Win10
can ya try the 11th january 2019 (or newer) build at https://kzantow.github.io/surge/ and see if it still happens?
This issue was resolved with one of the 1.6 builds.
awesome! are you seeing any other issues lately?
the volunteer devs can't fix something they're not aware of, so any bug report, no matter how vague, is worth writing. well, the less vague the better :)

tatanka wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:15 pm then you just change a preset (for the further tries I even stopped playback while changing the preset), nothing was happening, just open surge, click on a preset, puff...there goes waveform. And as its my main daw now I really dont want to test evry daw I own to see if it might run in any of it.
hi tatanka, have you gotten around to checking out the newer (from January 2019) builds?
https://kzantow.github.io/surge/

fceramic wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:27 pm Would love a Mac installer. This was one of my first vst instruments!
64-bit mac vst,vst3,audiounit installers at https://kzantow.github.io/surge/
and they do work very nicely with live,logic and renoise :)

Ingonator wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:01 pm Now that the latest Surge version (v1.6.0b2) is working in Live 10 and Windows 10 64-bit i noticed that the plugin does not seem to respond to channel aftertouch for modulation. As a controller i am using a NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1. Aftertouch works nicely with other softsynths in Live 10.
can you check with https://kzantow.github.io/surge/ and confirm that this still happens.
also, could you give more data about this issue, please?

ENV1 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:53 pm Just for everyones info; this file contains an error. Under 0-3 it says that the header string of Surge wavetables is 'wavt', which certainly sounds plausible since it seems to stand for wave+table. But thats not actually correct. The correct string is 'vawt', which probably stands for 'Vember Audio WaveTable'. Wavetables with 'wavt' as the header string will >not< load, so if you intend to use that file (wt fileformat.txt) for reference you should change the 'wavt' to 'vawt' ASAP so you dont have an incorrect header string mentioned in there.
btw, this wavt to vawt has been fixed.

acYm wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:55 pm the automation parameters for the B part seem to be bugged. they're all mis-assigned. for example f1 cutoff registers as LFO2 Delay.
this is currently being fixed. stay tuned.

Autobot wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:56 pm Nice. Like everyone else I need a bigger gui ... And a bug occurs here on win 7, Ableton live 10, 64bit. Right mouse don't work, so no fine dragging and no context menu for copy paste a scene. And no synced lfo therefore sad I hope for a soon fixx
i am not seeing these issues. am able to copy scene a to scene b, am able to get context menus open, and LFO Rate can be right-clicked and you can select "tempo sync".
check the newest builds at https://kzantow.github.io/surge/

Esaruoho, maybe you should put the link to the latest builds in your signature. I think many people are still using the old builds from Claes/Kurasu, which indeed had problems with right-clicks and stuff.

Thanks for the great work, by the way :tu:

Mat-tvank wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:02 am Surge who like it:
https://soundcloud.com/mattvan-k/spring-is-coming
track is not available. can ya repost it?

Delta Sign wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:14 pm Esaruoho, maybe you should put the link to the latest builds in your signature. I think many people are still using the old builds from Claes/Kurasu, which indeed had problems with right-clicks and stuff.

Thanks for the great work, by the way :tu:
good idea! done.

Z3R0T0N1N wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:10 am Anyone who picks this up and starts releasing updates, I will definitely donate to.
Multiple people have picked it up and are rolling in fixes. I count something like 5-6 people right now. Kinda hard to donate to them all, I guess :)

c_voltage wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:01 pm Folks, i never used Surge, how to open list of wavetables (during wavetable mode in osc) for choose wave manually from list ? It is possible ? I found just how to switch wavetables only via left\right arrows. (64bit Win surge vst2 latest version)
The list of wavetables will not load unless if all the resources have been properly installed. In newer builds + installers (check my signature for a link to kzantow's automated builds from January 2019, taking the kurasu/surge github repo's newest state and wrapping it into 64-bit windows+macos installers), the preference / resource / preset / wavetable copying works better. Check it out :)
Right-click to bring up dropdown menu was one of the first things fixed in-or-around November 2018.

Return to “Instruments”