Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

Paul Eye wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:55 am The 32-bit Windows build has the same file name (Surge32.dll) as 32-bit Airwindows Surge, http://www.airwindows.com/surge/
hi, as of today, surge 32bit dll will be called surge_x86.dll to combat issues with airwindows surge.
hope this helps.

PietW. wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:41 pm
baconpaul wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:36 pm
PietW. wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:33 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAgcWksZBs4

An example of how Audioterm works on the Mac.
Many thanks to Michael Turner-Craig ( 100thingsIDo) who gave the permission.
That’s interesting. I had been led to beleive Audioterm was windows only. Where do you get the mac version?
Unfortunately there is no MAC version. The video is only intended to represent the Audioterm with Wine and the MAC works.
Bummer and I hear the source isn’t around or something? Like it’s not on github so someone could take a shot at a port? Guess it’s vms then! Thanks!

You could ask the dev for it...

Extensive tutorials on Audioterm
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=521507
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

I made another Wavetable set.... #4 of the Layzer series: XLZ_MRP
These are 32 various Morphs that cycle through 2-4 different waveforms.
more flavors for you to try! enjoy!
https://www.sendspace.com/file/wo8m4r
Last edited by layzer on Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

i'm really late to the Surge party....but just wanted to state my appreciation for everyone still developing it. This one will keep me occupied for a while learning all of it's nuances!

Ok i finally tried this open source version, as i wanted to try out the new zoom function.
Well i have no idea where this zoom is, i can't find it anywhere, but i did find a serious problem which makes this version more trouble than it's worth (for me):

The wavetable selector seems to be broken!
If you change from "classic" to "wavetable", there is no way of changing wavetables other than clicking the left and right arrows where it says "sine octaves".
On 1.52 you just click on the word "sine octaves" and it brings up a menu and sub menus, and you can find exactly the wave you want, without having to click the arrow a hundred times.

Also i was told by one of the coders in this thread that the HP filter now defaults to it's minimum setting when you initialize it, but it still seems to be set at 55hz here (still have to double click it every time). Using 1.60

So unfortunately, for me, 1.60 is a major step backwards for this synth. I'll keep watching though, and see if these things get ironed out.

_al_ wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:09 pm Well i have no idea where this zoom is
The wavetable selector seems to be broken!
Also i was told by one of the coders in this thread that the HP filter now defaults to it's minimum setting when you initialize it, but it still seems to be set at 55hz here
Hi. Zoom is in "Menu", on the bottom right corner.

Regards the wavetable, are you saying that both left-clicking and right-clicking on the "Sine Octaves" portion does not open the context menu? Because it totally should.

Can you check Menu -> About Surge and write down which version you are using of Surge 1.6?

The newest version should be from March 2019. Is that the version you are using?

If you are still seeing the 55hz HP, this means you are not using the February/March 2019 version.

Please download the newest version from http://surge-synthesizer.github.io and you should see the context menu and the 55hz HP fix.

If possible, go into your plugin folders and delete the Surge.vst/Surge.vst3/Surge.component by hand. Make sure they are nowhere else. Then run the installer.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by esaruoho on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_al_ wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:09 pm So unfortunately, for me, 1.60 is a major step backwards for this synth.
Hi, could you let me know where you actually downloaded this 1.60 version from? I'm trying to be everywhere and check everything out, so people don't download some version from January 2019 or some October 2018 build, but if you were to remember where you got it from, that'd really help us immensely :)

Well i'm guessing it's from the first post in this thread, as that's usually the one i would download. But if you're sure you fixed these problems, then i will try the one in your signature later

_al_ wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:43 pm Well i'm guessing it's from the first post in this thread, as that's usually the one i would download. But if you're sure you fixed these problems, then i will try the one in your signature later
yes, if you are downloading the first post from this thread, then you are downloading the version from september2018 which works pretty much not at all and has tons of bugs.

yes, i am sure that march 2019 version is considerably better. please get that instead.

Wow, ok. After much messing about, i finally got your version to appear. For some reason FL had 3 different surges registered, but i've finally found your one.
And yes, you have fixed the problems i mentioned, and you have also given me an unexpected surprise, as the mouse wheel can now move the sliders!

So all i can say is well done, and thank you :)

I guess it's time to uninstall 1.52

_al_ wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:05 pm Wow, ok. After much messing about, i finally got your version to appear. For some reason FL had 3 different surges registered, but i've finally found your one.
And yes, you have fixed the problems i mentioned, and you have also given me an unexpected surprise, as the mouse wheel can now move the sliders!

So all i can say is well done, and thank you :)

I guess it's time to uninstall 1.52
Thanks for the thanks!

Zoom doesn't work in FL Studio, some users have reported. We think that's a problem with the host not responding to the VST2 resize messages. Interested if you see that.

But as well as resetting the filter level and making the scroll wheel work, we've fixed a few other things too. We are now maintaining a change log for versions: https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/man ... eslog.html

We expect to drop beta 7 this week, which will be a big improvement for vst3 users.

baconpaul wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:46 pm
Thanks for the thanks!

Zoom doesn't work in FL Studio, some users have reported. We think that's a problem with the host not responding to the VST2 resize messages. Interested if you see that.

But as well as resetting the filter level and making the scroll wheel work, we've fixed a few other things too. We are now maintaining a change log for versions: https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/man ... eslog.html

We expect to drop beta 7 this week, which will be a big improvement for vst3 users.
Hehe was just logging in to mention the zoom, so yeah, it's not working in FL.
Well, it does zoom, but the FL wrapper stays the same size, so the bottom right corner of surge goes off-screen. The only way to get normal zoom level back is to reset plugin properties in wrapper options (which often leads to a crash for some reason)

Oh and one feature request while i'm here:
You know how pushing the TAB key turns all the buttons blue, and allows us to select a destination for whatever LFO is selected?
Do we really need to waste the TAB key on that? I mean, we can do the same thing by simply double-clicking any LFO or macro button.
Using TAB is really unconventional, and actually really irritating in FL, because we use TAB to switch between different VST, FL pages (mixer to playlist etc).
This means that when we have an instance of surge open, we are no longer able to use TAB to switch between different frames, because when we get to surge, it stops cycling, and just toggles surge's destination function.
The original surge did this too, and was always a major annoyance to me, so i would be interested to know the opinions of people using other DAWS on this issue :)

I have noticed that the zoom doesn't work correctly in Traction 7, or Tracktion Waveform 8 or 9, with either VST2 or VST3.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Return to “Instruments”