Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

Vortifex wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:54 pm The issues aside I enjoyed tinkering with it. It sounded good. If the bugs get squished I can see myself using it.
could you post the bugs to http://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues/new so ppl can have a look? ;)

I just installed the latest version, and the zoom still doesn't work right with Cakewalk by Sonar.

Sounds ok, probably in the ballpark of hybrid 3

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:24 pm
esaruoho wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:10 pm
Vortifex wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:31 pm Seems pretty buggy. It doesn't remember the zoom setting in FL Studio when you close/reopen the interface. And in FL and Studio One it crashes when opening some Access Virus wavetables I have that work fine in Icarus.
could you send me over the access virus wavetables to esaruoho@gmail.com so we can have a look
Done. Actually here's the link for anyone else who wants them: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1t2ywS ... B7-ylifDeQ
Thanks for sharing!

A few more questions..
So, these are .wav files and not .wt?
and.. Do these load alright with the older Surge (1.5) and crash on Surge1.6beta? When you load them, do you use the dropdown menu in 1.5 or do you drag them into Surge1.5 - and when loading into Surge1.6beta, do you also dropdownmenu or drag them in?

Examigan wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:38 pm I just installed the latest version, and the zoom still doesn't work right with Cakewalk by Sonar.
In Reaper it remembers zoom for current session. But it's not being persisted, so next session requires to set it up again. Anyway improvement since initial versions where zoom had had been manually set on every Surge window open

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just tried Surge for the first time, and, i must say that i'm quite impressed. Very nice synth for free. :) Also good job to esaruho for maintaining this synth.

Oh, and i'll shoot the next guy in the head who recommends Synth1 to a beginner. People should recommend this. It's not only much richer featured, it also has the better GUI, and it sounds better (Ok, could have a bit more punch, but, the wavetables really sound good, and not so low quality as on Hybrid 3, for example).

Dunno if it has been reported yet, but, the pitch bend setting doesn't seem to work. Regardless of what it is set to, it seems to bend only a semi tone up and down. It also affects the pitch of the sound. :o

VST3 in Studio One 4. The pitch bend in the VST2 works fine.

IIRC back in the day ( around 2008 ) surge sometimes had this bug , a constant dc signal burst arises when playing simultaneous notes
I Just downloaded the latest version for win 10 , and guess what ...same issue arises after a while , it's verry hard to replicate but once it rears it's head it's pretty f!!!!! up .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:59 am IIRC back in the day ( around 2008 ) surge sometimes had this bug , a constant dc signal burst arises when playing simultaneous notes
I Just downloaded the latest version for win 10 , and guess what ...same issue arises after a while , it's verry hard to replicate but once it rears it's head it's pretty f!!!!! up .
ive been using v1.5 x32 under winxp vigorously for several months
and never experience that. :phew:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

chk071 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:32 pm Oh, and i'll shoot the next guy in the head who recommends Synth1 to a beginner.
Synth 1 is far better suited to beginners...then they can move on to Surge. :wink:

Ok open fire....I've got a .40 Caliber Black Talon Hollow Point with your name on it....let's see who is the better shot..... :hyper:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:31 pm
chk071 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:32 pm Oh, and i'll shoot the next guy in the head who recommends Synth1 to a beginner.
Synth 1 is far better suited to beginners...then they can move on to Surge. :wink:
You're right. I actually realized that after i wrote the reply. :D Well, let's say, if they're more advanced, they're better off moving to Surge. ;)

Oh yes I'd recommend Surge just not as a first synth. :tu:

I think Synth 1's simple architecture, resizable GUI and tons of existing presets make it the prefect choice for beginners. It's dead simple to get great sounds out of it and that inspires further exploration.

I'm afraid Surge might be just a bit much for a first synth but is certainly one of the next logical steps as skills and experience are gained. :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:50 pm Oh yes I'd recommend Surge just not as a first synth. :tu:

I think Synth 1's simple architecture, resizable GUI and tons of existing presets make it the prefect choice for beginners. It's dead simple to get great sounds out of it and that inspires further exploration.

I'm afraid Surge might be just a bit much for a first synth but is certainly one of the next logical steps as skills and experience are gained. :)
Part of the problem is that Surge’s UI is a disaster and it’s always been. I’m not saying that I’d recommend it to a beginner, but it definitely didn’t take off as a plugin due to it’s weird interface. I paid for it when it was a commercial plugin, but I hadn’t used it in years. I downloaded it last night and found that my prior experience didn’t seem to make it any easier to use. Take something like Pigments, that I also just demoed, and that was a breeze to learn and I never once looked at a manual or tutorial video. I’ve been using wavetable synths since I bought my Ensoniq TS-10 in 94. I shouldn’t have to hunt around or things like I had to last night with Surge, especially when I’ve already used it before. I guess now that it’s open source I should put up or shut up, but I’m slammed at work doing UI for people who want to shoot their friends in space. :lol:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Instruments”