Zone by Audiaire (iLok soft & Splice)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
kattstrike
KVRer
9 posts since 21 Nov, 2018

Post Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:16 am

iNNeRNoiZe wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:26 am
Wow, I love this plugin. :love: It has become my main workhorse in less than 2 hours.
in some Youtube videos I can see user waveforms of analog synthesizers, where can I download them? Any Idea?

And it EATS cpu power! :borg:
Hey! Ahh that's great that you love it :D

In terms of CPU, you can change the quality to "Eco" on the synth. If you use patches that have lots of voices that's also going to take a lot of power (as they're "true" polyphonic voices), so try reducing them to 1 or 2 and see how you get on. :)

As for waveforms, Zone works best with single-cycle waveforms (although, I often import in sounds I generally like... haha). There's loads of stuff on Google if you search "single cycle waveform samples" - I found this one whilst doing a quick search.

Hope that helps!

dermage
KVRist
382 posts since 23 May, 2016

Re: Zone by Audiaire (iLok soft & Splice)

Post Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:38 pm

Was testing today. Some things in my short test came up:

- Font is hardly readable, even on higher settings like 125%. On 150% it's ok readable, but fills my whole screen. (27" 1080p, ~50cm distance)
- CPU is quite high. Preset 110 for example uses 35% in Live 10 on Windows 10 with 6-voice poly and 2-voice unison (on i2600k, usually can still handle high end synths like repro-5, which has less cpu use in 8-voice config and about the same in HQ mode) in its default setting playing just one midi note (for repro I played an 8 note chord)
- on the same patch Zone somehow hung up when switching to Extreme and I could hear only some pops/clicks repeating, switching back to normal did not resolve it and had to remove and add zone again the to track for it to work
- sequencer modulation mod depth not possible? First thought I did miss something, but CM apparently found the same limitation. Is this to be added?
- why is it possible to move e.g. Cutoff when it's being sequencer modulated, but with no effect but some glitching is audible, that's a bug I guess
- modulating Filter Cutoff using the Mod Matrix and LFO Amount fader seems veryyy sensitive. When having the filter on about quarter setting around 200 I have already very audible modulation at values bigger than 0.004 and it's getting stronger quite quick. at 0.007 it's already something completely different. Something seems to be off with scaling since I can only reach these minimal values using the modifier CTRL. Possibly this is intended, I find it quite hard to dial in settings then. CTRL modifier using mouse movement is hard to tweak

simmo75
KVRian
1204 posts since 25 Mar, 2016 from Seattle

Re: Zone by Audiaire (iLok soft & Splice)

Post Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:20 pm

dermage wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:38 pm
Was testing today. Some things in my short test came up:

- Font is hardly readable, even on higher settings like 125%. On 150% it's ok readable, but fills my whole screen. (27" 1080p, ~50cm distance)
- CPU is quite high. Preset 110 for example uses 35% in Live 10 on Windows 10 with 6-voice poly and 2-voice unison (on i2600k, usually can still handle high end synths like repro-5, which has less cpu use in 8-voice config and about the same in HQ mode) in its default setting playing just one midi note (for repro I played an 8 note chord)
- on the same patch Zone somehow hung up when switching to Extreme and I could hear only some pops/clicks repeating, switching back to normal did not resolve it and had to remove and add zone again the to track for it to work
- sequencer modulation mod depth not possible? First thought I did miss something, but CM apparently found the same limitation. Is this to be added?
- why is it possible to move e.g. Cutoff when it's being sequencer modulated, but with no effect but some glitching is audible, that's a bug I guess
- modulating Filter Cutoff using the Mod Matrix and LFO Amount fader seems veryyy sensitive. When having the filter on about quarter setting around 200 I have already very audible modulation at values bigger than 0.004 and it's getting stronger quite quick. at 0.007 it's already something completely different. Something seems to be off with scaling since I can only reach these minimal values using the modifier CTRL. Possibly this is intended, I find it quite hard to dial in settings then. CTRL modifier using mouse movement is hard to tweak
Wow, that preset uses between 7-8% on my 2014 mac. Generally this Zone is pretty efficient here, maybe it’s a Windows thing.

dermage
KVRist
382 posts since 23 May, 2016

Re: Zone by Audiaire (iLok soft & Splice)

Post Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:24 pm

simmo75 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:20 pm
dermage wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:38 pm
Was testing today. Some things in my short test came up:

- Font is hardly readable, even on higher settings like 125%. On 150% it's ok readable, but fills my whole screen. (27" 1080p, ~50cm distance)
- CPU is quite high. Preset 110 for example uses 35% in Live 10 on Windows 10 with 6-voice poly and 2-voice unison (on i2600k, usually can still handle high end synths like repro-5, which has less cpu use in 8-voice config and about the same in HQ mode) in its default setting playing just one midi note (for repro I played an 8 note chord)
- on the same patch Zone somehow hung up when switching to Extreme and I could hear only some pops/clicks repeating, switching back to normal did not resolve it and had to remove and add zone again the to track for it to work
- sequencer modulation mod depth not possible? First thought I did miss something, but CM apparently found the same limitation. Is this to be added?
- why is it possible to move e.g. Cutoff when it's being sequencer modulated, but with no effect but some glitching is audible, that's a bug I guess
- modulating Filter Cutoff using the Mod Matrix and LFO Amount fader seems veryyy sensitive. When having the filter on about quarter setting around 200 I have already very audible modulation at values bigger than 0.004 and it's getting stronger quite quick. at 0.007 it's already something completely different. Something seems to be off with scaling since I can only reach these minimal values using the modifier CTRL. Possibly this is intended, I find it quite hard to dial in settings then. CTRL modifier using mouse movement is hard to tweak
Wow, that preset uses between 7-8% on my 2014 mac. Generally this Zone is pretty efficient here, maybe it’s a Windows thing.
Yeah, possible. That's why I am mentioning these things, if this is known or possibly already a confirmed bug. I do not have these problems with other synths and since Zone is quite new it may be not well optimized yet. Waiting for an official word on it. Eco-Mode is no option here, though :)

User avatar
Russell Grand
KVRAF
1705 posts since 22 May, 2017

Re: Zone by Audiaire (iLok soft) 64 bit only

Post Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:34 pm

Halonmusic wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:54 am
iLok :dog: :help: :smack:
Agreed. I wish iLok would disappear, to just a die a sudden permanent death. I deal with the software version because there are many plugs I love that use it, but I wish I didn't have to.

User avatar
Sharooz
KVRist
44 posts since 7 Dec, 2011

Re: Zone by Audiaire (iLok soft & Splice)

Post Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:13 am

@dermage

We haven’t heard anything stating CPU load as high as what you describe. This sounds more like a machine issue. What are your PC/OS specs?

Also, are you using the free to upgrade v1.1 update? Please make sure of this

You can grab it at bit.ly/Audiaire

Install the trial over v1.0.0 and there’s no need to uninstall or reauthorise

Which font(s) are you referring to as unreadable? The GUI scales up to 200%. Presenting everything on one screen without the need for menus was of paramount importance to us, so there’s a considerable amount of info to place on the screen, hence giving the option to scale up.

Sequencer parameter modulation depth scaling is in the works.

The knobs do not move or have any effect when their parameter is assigned and modulated in the grid as to do that would be counterproductive to the concept of parameter sequencing.

dermage
KVRist
382 posts since 23 May, 2016

Re: Zone by Audiaire (iLok soft & Splice)

Post Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:58 am

Sharooz wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:13 am
@dermage

We haven’t heard anything stating CPU load as high as what you describe. This sounds more like a machine issue. What are your PC/OS specs?

Also, are you using the free to upgrade v1.1 update? Please make sure of this

You can grab it at bit.ly/Audiaire

Install the trial over v1.0.0 and there’s no need to uninstall or reauthorise

Which font(s) are you referring to as unreadable? The GUI scales up to 200%. Presenting everything on one screen without the need for menus was of paramount importance to us, so there’s a considerable amount of info to place on the screen, hence giving the option to scale up.

Sequencer parameter modulation depth scaling is in the works.

The knobs do not move or have any effect when their parameter is assigned and modulated in the grid as to do that would be counterproductive to the concept of parameter sequencing.
Hi, I tested the latest 1.1.1 version.
Pc Spec is I7 2600k 16gb Ram, Win 10, Live 10.
It does not matter too much though, because I compared to Repro 5 which is a heavyweight CPU synth and more or less the upper limit for CPU usage (for me, when going full polyphonic mode).

The orange fonts I'm referring to, like modulation selector, filter mode etc. is hardly readable at 125%. As I said, anything above 125% is too big for my Full HD screen. I'm not having these problems with other synths at approx. the same scaling.
The knobs do not move or have any effect when their parameter is assigned and modulated in the grid as to do that would be counterproductive to the concept of parameter sequencing.
Yes I understand it, but I can still move them and it produces glitches/pops/crackle. Maybe then deactivate the knobs or make them really not affect anything (the sound). As I said, maybe this is a bug, that they're still moving for me.

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
7690 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: Zone by Audiaire (iLok soft) 64 bit only

Post Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:35 pm

Russell Grand wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:34 pm
I wish iLok would disappear, to just a die a sudden permanent death. I deal with the software version because there are many plugs I love that use it, but I wish I didn't have to.
Why? I had avoided it forever, mostly on general principle, but having finally given in I now think it's a really good way to keep all your licenses sorted. Now I see it as a positive thing and it makes me more likely to buy something if it uses it (software only, of course, I don't have room for a hardware dongle).
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, 8GB RAM, Win10), Yamaha AG06, Orion 64 bit, Roli Seaboard Rise 25, Ultranova, Rocket, Pulse 2, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno.

Examigan
KVRAF
4671 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Re: Zone by Audiaire (iLok soft & Splice)

Post Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:46 pm

I don't mind it either, and have no issues with the many plugins I have that use it.

Leichenschmaus
KVRist
140 posts since 1 Oct, 2014

Re: Zone by Audiaire (iLok soft & Splice)

Post Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:33 am

Is The offer 25% off till 31.1.?

Halonmusic
KVRAF
1897 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Re: Zone by Audiaire (iLok soft & Splice)

Post Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:02 pm

Thinking of buying this just for the 'bacon noise' mode :D

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
7690 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: Zone by Audiaire (iLok soft & Splice)

Post Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:55 pm

I tried the demo the other night and couldn't find any presets I liked. To me it sounded like exactly the kind of sound that analogue purists would use to prove that their way is better - cold and lifeless.
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, 8GB RAM, Win10), Yamaha AG06, Orion 64 bit, Roli Seaboard Rise 25, Ultranova, Rocket, Pulse 2, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno.

User avatar
Sharooz
KVRist
44 posts since 7 Dec, 2011

Re: Zone by Audiaire (iLok soft & Splice)

Post Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:26 am

The qualified opinions of DJ Magazine, Computer Music, Beat Magazine and Synth Anatomt would disagree with you it seems. :wink:
Last edited by Sharooz on Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Sharooz
KVRist
44 posts since 7 Dec, 2011

Re: Zone by Audiaire (iLok soft & Splice)

Post Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:27 am

25% offer is valid until end of January with code ZONE25 at checkout.

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
7690 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: Zone by Audiaire (iLok soft & Splice)

Post Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:31 pm

Sharooz wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:26 am
The qualified opinions of DJ Magazine, Computer Music, Beat Magazine and Synth Anatomt would disagree with you it seems. :wink:
And you think those guys know more about it than I do? I imagine they weren't even born when I bought my first synth. But it's a personal thing, you can't afford to be sensitive about it. Some people will find the sound pleasing, some people won't. That's life.
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, 8GB RAM, Win10), Yamaha AG06, Orion 64 bit, Roli Seaboard Rise 25, Ultranova, Rocket, Pulse 2, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno.

Return to “Instruments”