One Synth Challenge #116: Triple Cheese (mmGhost Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

574X wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:16 pm I voted and I see too many people completely missing the point of enjoying and learning from music, because it’s an OSC entry.
Wow, that's a sweeping statement!
Do you think I'm missing the point of enjoying and learning from music? I ask because I honestly have no idea why you say that and whether or not I am included in what you are referring to - and I'm genuinely curious to understand what you mean :)
More clues please :D

? I voted meanwhile

I have voted now!
Luke 17:10

I'm glad you appreciate the irony of my vague constructive criticism.

As always, I greatly appreciated the entries and was sad to see others not doing so.

Ofc, this is a layered assumption based on what is written on SC, inevitable vote manipulation, etc.

The vote is an opportunity (often missed) to clearly communicate how much work you think that person has ahead of them in their personal growth, given how subjective and irrelevant our experience may be of that work. It’s quite independent from the music’s real and immortal value.

Despite the pitfalls preventing authentic voting, you'll still be able to get a rough idea of how you're being received over time. I know who has never gotten mostly 5s, and I know who does. I also know who won't, even with their best work, because of authentic and personal stylistic choices. I've seen this cause people tremendous pain.

I’ve gone through winning entries with a fine tooth comb filter, to learn. I’m also good at replicating genres and styles (probably stemming from my training in a couple lesser known ones, classical and jazz). There’s a living in edm genre replication that’s much more fulfilling than less creative professions. However, I prefer to live in a way that makes me even happier.

As you illustrated, it's a consideration rich with abundant lessons, both as the receiver and the creator.
quick, _ake what you want in life

Voted.

Heard a few really surprising ones this month, so it was especially hard giving out 4's and 5's. Ratings are kind of variable to, depending on so many factors. Like, tomorrow one track I gave a 3 could be a 4, or a 4 a 3, depending on mood, time, etc.

edit: leaving comments now, nice to see so many other great comments / encouragement etc, edit2: comment limit on SC, gotta wait a bit before commenting again
Last edited by bjporter on Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Voted.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

@574X - as someone who tries to push the envelope at times :D I know I split the audience just about every time. So, my expectation is to come roughly halfway, which, for most of my tracks since I started in OSC#61 (many moons ago), has been the case. In the main the comments have been truthful and helpful. I have managed to complete a challenge every month since then, and enjoyed making music for others to hear. Some like :) , some don't :(

Like Schiing, I will probably always lean to the genres I personally enjoy the most, viz. Jazz and Blues. But, I know deep down that the "personal musical challenge" would be to step out and learn to do and do something very different. It may be that I will work on something over a few months before actually "realising" the track for an OSC.

But, 55 OSC's in a row now … and really not all that many 5's - very heartwarming when I do get them, I can tell you, as it means that I have hit "the right note" at least for a small number of voters in OSC and KVR.

db

Final Results: mmGhost is the Winner!!!! :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

1st mmGhost - Untethered - 180pts

2nd Taron - Fall - 177pts

3rd schiing - Spires, Circuits & Syllabus - 176pts

4th z.prime - Survival - 173pts

5th VCA-089 - Neon - 161pts

6 Doc Jon - Cheesy Listening 159 pts
7 kraftraum - Rotation 27 (Voyager 2) 158 pts
8 TheNeverScene - OSC 116 156 pts
9 TrojakEW - Silent Scream 151 pts
10 lokken - Irreversibly 149 pts
11 574x - Accepting The Fate Of Mankind 145 pts
12 bh9090 - Prickles And Goo[LESSCHORDPROG] 143 pts
13 zarf - as dark as it gets 143 pts
14 Rellik - Fundido 141 pts
15 liqih - Nutty Dread Eats Cheese&Fruits 138 pts
16 doctorbob - OSC #116 Triple Cheese 138 pts
17 Leonard Bowman - rise reign rust release 137 pts
18 Trancemaster1339 - End of the Line 136 pts
19 ontrackp - Jigsawz 136 pts
20 fairplay - Hunting Party Picnic 132 pts
21 OllyAudio - Pentatonic 131 pts
22 RichardSemper - Cheese on Ghost 130 pts
23 Dartelec - Life in Austria 127 pts
24 AgnosticLlama - ReachForTheCheese2 123 pts
25 Darksynth FX - Forgotten Dreams 121 pts
26 Inversion of Control - Inner Hunger 121 pts
27 Eauson - Uhe Triple Cheese KVR OsC 117 pts
28 h.s.j.e. - The Coldest Night 114 pts
29 Ranoka - The Trine Luminaries Shared Halloumination 109 pts
30 Medniex - Critical Alignment of Slices 108 pts
31 Kontrollgruppe - Leaves 104 pts
32 J.T.'s Penrose - Reprieve And Remembrance 99 pts
dq new kids on the block - mes phobies 80 pts
33 davetbass - RottYPumpkinOSC116 70 pts

Prizes:
First place winner, please announce your chosen prize and specify whether or not you give permission to upload your track to our spotify/itunes/etc page run by rghvdberg (Sales would go to osc/prize pool), and pass it on to the next winner down. To receive the prize, it may take some time (even a week-month+), but be patient. :hug: NOTE: prizes are not passed down below top 5

Nice work everyone. Lots of interesting musical experiments, explorations, and adventures this month. :clap:

Scoresheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... EKpwedACk8

Congrats mmGhost! Yours was one that I hoped would win. Can't wait to see the walkthrough ;)

Congrats to the winners! Well deserved!

mmGhost finally gets his U-he drug of choice! lol I'm guessing Diva, but I'm a terrible guesser :D

I heard he was passing that to z.prime :-P

Congratulations to the winners! All well deserved :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

And well done to everyone for making this such a great competition. Such a wide variety of styles and sounds all from one synth!

See you again in the next...

z.prime wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:47 pm I heard he was passing that to z.prime :-P
Pass the dUtcHiE to the left hand side!

Return to “Instruments”