So what are today's top synths anyway?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Teksonik
KVRAF
11491 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:40 am

What's the best tasting food today ? :hyper:

Equally pointless question only guaranteed to generate personal opinions and nothing resembling facts. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

dandezebra
KVRian
662 posts since 21 Dec, 2013 from USA

Re: So what are today's top synths anyway?

Post Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:43 am

Luckily, when I come to threads like this I am not looking for facts at all!

recursive one
KVRAF
3676 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Post Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:43 am

Teksonik wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:40 am
What's the best tasting food today ?
Shawarma
I hate incomplete sentences because they ...

effalump
KVRer
7 posts since 9 Oct, 2018

Post Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:13 am

I used to have loads of VST plugins, but it got to the point that I was never really mastering any of them, I was just finding presets and tweaking them a bit as needed to get the sound I wanted, being lazy and never realising their full programmable potential.

Off the shelf, I'd go for:

1. Electra2 (for power)
2. Zebra (for beauty)
3. Diva (for warmth)
4. TripleCheese (for free exotica)

Those 4 babies would probably give the widest variety of sounds, from the least number of VSTs, for the least expense. Happy days. :)

Examigan
KVRAF
4290 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Post Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:26 am

Teksonik wrote:
Pizza, chimichangas, burgers, fettuccini alfredo, etc. :hihi:

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12037 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Post Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:39 am

The food analogy is tricky.

Synths are basically just tech, one can determine specific parameters and measure/rate whether a given synth is good or not.

With food one can only determine the nutrients, but that doesn't say anything about whether or not people will like the food. Why else would so many people eat fast food?!

The sound of a synth is measurable, though. If it has aliasing or poor filters, it shows on the analyzer and most people won't like what they hear.

HcDoom
KVRian
828 posts since 18 Feb, 2012

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:37 pm

Can anyone explain why Serum uses so much cpu when playing anything with chords, for example, saw pad with medium release on serum takes 40% and on Spire 2% cpu, same number of voices, etc...and they sound same. Is it really that badly programmed or...?

Cinebient
KVRAF
3616 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:59 pm

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:39 am

Synths are basically just tech, one can determine specific parameters and measure/rate whether a given synth is good or not.

With food one can only determine the nutrients, but that doesn't say anything about whether or not people will like the food. Why else would so many people eat fast food?!

The sound of a synth is measurable, though. If it has aliasing or poor filters, it shows on the analyzer and most people won't like what they hear.
Yes, but i heard fast food absorption is at audio rate...

excuse me please
KVRist
34 posts since 10 Oct, 2018

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:00 pm

Brainstormer and FB-3200

lelderkin
KVRer
14 posts since 27 Mar, 2018

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:32 pm

HcDoom wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:37 pm
Can anyone explain why Serum uses so much cpu when playing anything with chords, for example, saw pad with medium release on serum takes 40% and on Spire 2% cpu, same number of voices, etc...and they sound same. Is it really that badly programmed or...?
Check if you have oversampling turned on and check how high your polyphony is set. Those both really crank up Serum's CPU usage. I've found Serum and Spire to be generally equal in terms of CPU.

SparkySpark
KVRian
1263 posts since 30 Aug, 2004 from Skövde, Sweden

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:59 pm

Thanks for all suggestions and other replies. I was not surprised to see so many posts saying it's a pointless thread since no one knows what preferences I have. :wink:

I am not actually looking for another powerful synth (I have SynthMaster and a lot of others). Instead, what I was asking for was what is considered a top synth today.

In fact, I am aiming to undertake research on synth UIs, and wanted to see if I have missed something.

Nonetheless this is a good thread in that there are so many great synths mentioned. (My personal favourites would probably be Falcon, Largo and Zebra, and I would also look at Biotek because of its new take on UI design. Harmor seems cool too. Logic users are very lucky by the way!)

It is worth noting that most suggested synths are old, some over a decade. This means, I think, that we need new visions for how a synth should behave. Are the days over for the monster synths? And what effect will that have on pop music? To me, the synth-UI combo is very, very interesting to study, and I hope to get funding to do so.
Making music is a nine-to-five job:
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!

MFXxx
KVRAF
2866 posts since 27 Mar, 2010 from UK

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:15 pm

Fried Zebra :tu:
Image7820x 4.6ghz • 32GB Ram • 1050TI • SSDs & Hybrid Drives • RME FF800 • Adams A7X • Maschine • Analog Keys • Virus TI • JD800 • JV1080 • x0xb0x

PatchAdamz
KVRAF
4245 posts since 13 Nov, 2012

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:14 pm

Teksonik wrote:
Hot Dogs, of course !

ATS
KVRAF
5812 posts since 21 Dec, 2002 from MD USA

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:17 pm

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:39 am

if you choose like what is the healthiest food that would be a fair pole.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls ~ Pablo Picasso

breakmixer
KVRAF
4196 posts since 14 Nov, 2008 from UK

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:37 pm

Not all synth but my fave/most used plugins are...

1. Spark 2
2. Tal-Sampler
3. CMI V
4. DX7 V
5. VirtualCZ

I also like Aly James Lab gear a lot, needs a mention.

Return to “Instruments”