What is a REALLY good acoustic guitar plugin or Kontakt instrument?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How do you mean narrow? A regular guitar has nearly 5 octaves of range.

Ample Sound Guitars... all excellent emulations.

XBow Guitars by SonicCouture allows extended range.

Unless there is a drop bottom string tuning, guitar's range with 24 frets (I've never had one) is 4 octaves on the nose.

Compare piccolo flute, 4 octave range, more or less. +/- a semitone.

EvilDragon wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:22 pm How do you mean narrow? A regular guitar has nearly 5 octaves of range.
Real guitars yes; sample libraries however (esp the higher quality ones ironically) often just seem to map around 3 octaves and use the rest for key switches which is annoying eg

jancivil wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:12 pm XBow Guitars by SonicCouture allows extended range.
Thanks - looks good but I would also like a decent regular acoustic guitar with extended range

aMUSEd wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:51 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:22 pm How do you mean narrow? A regular guitar has nearly 5 octaves of range.
Real guitars yes; sample libraries however (esp the higher quality ones ironically) often just seem to map around 3 octaves and use the rest for key switches which is annoying eg

Those instruments in your images map exactly the same notes as exist on the guitars they sampled. It’s a little less than 4 octaves on a guitar, closer to three and a half. So the blue playable notes in kontakt are all the playable notes on the guitars.

I'm sure I can go higher and lower than that, it seems too narrow to me

aMUSEd wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:01 pm I'm sure I can go higher and lower than that, it seems too narrow to me
Those are exactly the physical frets that exist on those two guitars. For example that very last fret on the top string of the orange tree guitar image, is that high blue B on the keyboard. The low open e is the first blue E on the keyboard. All notes are there. Every kontakt guitar I’ve tried have all possible notes.

Nope. Less than 4.

He might be getting a guitar confused with a sitar.
Last edited by Aloysius on Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I thought there was 4 assuming standard tunings

https://www.quora.com/How-many-tones-ca ... uitar-make

3 seems too low

Anyway regardless, I don't want to be bound by such limits anyway, I would prefer to use all my keyboard.

As I said, with a 24-fret instrument, exactly 4 octaves.
Once upon a time there was probably no such thing. I have never owned a 24-fret guitar. I had an Ibanez with 22 once, it goes then to D, 3 octaves and a minor 7th from the low E string. Other than that, 21 frets to C#.

Getting too far outside the range does mean less and less naturalism is feasible.

So the blue playable notes in kontakt are all the playable notes on the guitars.
In that picture, no. That goes to B, the 17th fret note on the first string, Even the standard classical guitar goes to C.
Strikes me as funny the blue keys go to B while the pictures are of guitars going to C#.

jancivil wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:27 pm
So the blue playable notes in kontakt are all the playable notes on the guitars.
In that picture, no. That goes to B, the 17th fret note on the first string, Even the standard classical guitar goes to C.
Strikes me as funny the blue keys go to B while the pictures are of guitars going to C#.
The last note on the orange tree nylon image is a B. Just like the keyboard. Same with the Ilya Efimov actually. So the pictures are the same as the kontakt range.

Other guitars go slightly higher, acoustic or electric. But these nylons are full range.

Return to “Instruments”