A Synth is only as good as its presets

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
Teksonik
KVRAF
12051 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:00 pm

anomandaris1 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:51 am
I have yet to hear a vst that sounds as fat as real Oberheimer synth.
And there it is.....Tek's First Law of KVR Threads in action: All Threads will eventually devolve into the senseless "Nothing in Software Sounds like Hardware" argument. :lol:

Well done....... :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

cytospur
KVRian
1143 posts since 26 Jun, 2002 from London, UK

Re: A Synth is only as good as its presets

Post Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:05 pm

ENV1 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:58 am
cytospur wrote: I'd love to see that skin for DUNE2 and especially DUNE3 when it comes out.
This was made in 2015. (The white one too.) Looking at it today i wouldnt make it like that anymore. The section label font for instance sucks, (Amplifier Envelope almost reads like Ampufier Envelope because the spacing is too narrow), and the more i look at it the more stuff i see that ought to be done differently. Maybe i will do a Mark II of these because they seemed relatively popular.
Please do! I didn't really take note of the label fonts tbh as I tend not to see those when I know the synth so well :)
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

User avatar
ATS
KVRAF
6137 posts since 21 Dec, 2002 from MD USA

Re: A Synth is only as good as its presets

Post Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:08 pm

Do you think that quality of presets, number of presets, or access to presets (typo fixed) have anything to do with the success of certain synths over others?

Above was the original question but all I heard was individual experience which is of course anecdotal. I think the answer is quite obvious; that the presets and availability of third party and first party add on banks, make a huge difference on the success of one synth over others.
Last edited by ATS on Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls ~ Pablo Picasso

AnX
KVRAF
3813 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Re: A Synth is only as good as its presets

Post Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:09 pm

anomandaris1 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:51 am
I have yet to hear a vst that sounds as fat as real Oberheimer synth.

same here, but then I've never heard an oberheimer...

cytospur
KVRian
1143 posts since 26 Jun, 2002 from London, UK

Re: A Synth is only as good as its presets

Post Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:15 pm

AnX wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:09 pm
anomandaris1 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:51 am
I have yet to hear a vst that sounds as fat as real Oberheimer synth.

same here, but then I've never heard an oberheimer...
Maybe you've seen one? They're quite fat apparently. Only the real ones of course.
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

AnX
KVRAF
3813 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Re: A Synth is only as good as its presets

Post Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:17 pm

cytospur wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:24 am
The detune setting is also meaningless with one voice - nothing to detune against
which makes it pointless to have it set to 50%

i like to gradually introduce detune to taste, not have it hit 50% from the off. Its very rare i take it anywhere near that level anyway

User avatar
Teksonik
KVRAF
12051 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Re: A Synth is only as good as its presets

Post Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:20 pm

cytospur wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:05 pm
Please do! I didn't really take note of the label fonts tbh as I tend not to see those when I know the synth so well :)
See my post on the other forum......... :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

glokraw
KVRAF
6678 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Re: A Synth is only as good as its presets

Post Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:26 pm

I consider presets to be an art form. A great preset is
to me, fine art, in the same way a great sculpture,
painting, or finished song is fine art.
I admire preset designers as artists,
and have no pretense of joining their ranks.

A great painting or sculpture that is one of a kind,
is in a far different market than presets selling
in groups ranging from dozens, to hundreds.

I have more great presets than I'll ever be able
to use, and have yet to audition half of them :dog:
and I may well have missed that many more in products
not purchased, that I would think are even better.
But I can only grin so wide, and only for so long...
:hyper:
Cheers

cytospur
KVRian
1143 posts since 26 Jun, 2002 from London, UK

Re: A Synth is only as good as its presets

Post Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:27 pm

AnX wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:17 pm
cytospur wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:24 am
The detune setting is also meaningless with one voice - nothing to detune against
which makes it pointless to have it set to 50%

i like to gradually introduce detune to taste, not have it hit 50% from the off. Its very rare i take it anywhere near that level anyway
Each to their own, of course. I prefer it around 20-30% for two voices, but increasing from there with more voices.
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

cytospur
KVRian
1143 posts since 26 Jun, 2002 from London, UK

Re: A Synth is only as good as its presets

Post Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:27 pm

Teksonik wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:20 pm
cytospur wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:05 pm
Please do! I didn't really take note of the label fonts tbh as I tend not to see those when I know the synth so well :)
See my post on the other forum......... :)
Seen and fully agree :tu:
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
30502 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Re: A Synth is only as good as its presets

Post Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:30 pm

Teksonik wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:53 am
I've never understood the snobbery of people who won't use patches made by other people. Unless you are the greatest sound designer in the world and no one reading this thread is then we can all benefit from the talents of others. I love making my own patches and consider myself fairly good at it but if I find a patch made by someone else musically inspiring then I'll use it in a heartbeat without a bit of guilt.
Absolutely. Same here. tbh I don't see myself as doing sound design anyway - it seems like a sterile process to me as a 'thing in itself' - for me composing music is exploring new sonic territory, so there is no separation between sound creation and composition, any 'presets' I make are just like snapshots taken within the overall process of composition (and that also means sometimes presets made by someone else can also take me to new places, or at least part of the way then I take it further - I am open to all ways of exploring)

User avatar
DJErmac
KVRian
713 posts since 25 Apr, 2009 from France

Re: A Synth is only as good as its presets

Post Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:42 pm

aMUSEd wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:30 pm
Teksonik wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:53 am
I've never understood the snobbery of people who won't use patches made by other people. Unless you are the greatest sound designer in the world and no one reading this thread is then we can all benefit from the talents of others. I love making my own patches and consider myself fairly good at it but if I find a patch made by someone else musically inspiring then I'll use it in a heartbeat without a bit of guilt.
Absolutely. Same here. tbh I don't see myself as doing sound design anyway - it seems like a sterile process to me as a 'thing in itself' - for me composing music is exploring new sonic territory, so there is no separation between sound creation and composition, any 'presets' I make are just like snapshots taken within the overall process of composition (and that also means sometimes presets made by someone else can also take me to new places, or at least part of the way then I take it further - I am open to all ways of exploring)
Well, sometimes when you release a song and people recognize the preset, somewhere over the internet (generally on music production forums or in Youtube comments), they make fun of you because you use presets, this seems to make you a lame producer for some reason in the eye of the other producers. I've seen this a thousand times. This can be a motivation for not using presets. You care or you don't, your choice.

ZeePok
KVRian
1137 posts since 22 Aug, 2004 from Edge City, the Low Country

Re: A Synth is only as good as its presets

Post Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:54 pm

Distorted Horizon wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:59 am
Btw.. Even though I dislike presets, I do love random button :hihi:
 
:tu: for the random button!

I always load plugins in hosts that can do a controlled randomization. Have created a number of very nice 'own' presets from stock presets this way! :)

User avatar
CrystalWizard
KVRian
692 posts since 10 Jul, 2008 from Orbiti sw usa

Re: A Synth is only as good as its presets

Post Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:00 pm

I don’t think a synth is only as good as its presets. Whether or not a synth sells well because of its presets (and FX) is another question.
gadgets an gizmos...make noise
https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness

jsp1979
KVRAF
3072 posts since 7 Aug, 2008

Re: A Synth is only as good as its presets

Post Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:03 pm

ZeePok wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:54 pm
Distorted Horizon wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:59 am
Btw.. Even though I dislike presets, I do love random button :hihi:
 
:tu: for the random button!

I always load plugins in hosts that can do a controlled randomization. Have created a number of very nice 'own' presets from stock presets this way! :)
First thing I do is delete all presets, hack the .dll and remove any random buttons, and then delete the .dll. I prefer the pure experience of building the synth myself from scratch using C++.


Ok...not really. :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”