One Synth Challenge #117: ModulAir by Full Bucket (Rellik Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
TheNeverScene
KVRian
571 posts since 1 Dec, 2016

Post Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:51 pm

Just a quick test run trying to wrap my head around it. Probably need to read the manual, but so far really digging ModulAir.

https://soundcloud.com/the-never-scene/ ... st/s-BsRSz
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

bjporter
KVRAF
2599 posts since 19 Dec, 2010 from North America

Re: One Synth Challenge #117: ModulAir by Full Bucket (Windows / Mac) (new Synthmaster bundle!)

Post Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:37 pm

Tried to do some large stereo polysynth sounds. I think the initial clicking is caused by phasing, does anyone know a way to set the osc phase?

I attached a few patches below (unison saw pluck / polysynth stabs, etc)

https://soundcloud.com/bjporter/modulair-test

@neverscene that sounds awesome
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

schiing
KVRist
245 posts since 27 Oct, 2015

Re: One Synth Challenge #117: ModulAir by Full Bucket (Windows / Mac) (new Synthmaster bundle!)

Post Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:14 am

TheNeverScene wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:59 pm
Absolutely fantastic for drums
Hmmmm - I'm trying to get a techno kick with a sharp click on the attack - but no matter what I try it drifts and drifts and drifts and drifts.... getting plenty of interesting sounds, though!

schiing
KVRist
245 posts since 27 Oct, 2015

Post Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:33 am

schiing wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:14 am
TheNeverScene wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:59 pm
Absolutely fantastic for drums
Hmmmm - I'm trying to get a techno kick with a sharp click on the attack - but no matter what I try it drifts and drifts and drifts and drifts.... getting plenty of interesting sounds, though!
Never mind - I got a perfect, stable "knock" with the Hilbert sine generator!

ilmai
KVRist
303 posts since 25 Aug, 2016 from Helsinki, Finland

Post Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:36 am

Been waiting a few months for an inspiring (and bug-free) OSC synths and also spent the last couple of weeks learning sound design so I'm definitely in this time :D

TheNeverScene
KVRian

Post Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:10 am

bjporter wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:37 pm
Tried to do some large stereo polysynth sounds. I think the initial clicking is caused by phasing, does anyone know a way to set the osc phase?

I attached a few patches below (unison saw pluck / polysynth stabs, etc)

https://soundcloud.com/bjporter/modulair-test

@neverscene that sounds awesome
Man, really nice pads. I don't think you can change the osc phase (would be a nice option, but I'm liking the stable oscillators).The glitching I'm getting messing with your Big Polysynth V2 seems more like random leftover notes. I changed the env to multi and changed attack and release times to play more rhythmic, which made whatever is going on more obvious. Turning the delay mix all the way down seemed to cure it (but killed the width obviously), turning it back up it starting happening again. I haven't quite got a grip on the envelopes yet and how they relate to the master envelope thing.

TheNeverScene
KVRian

Post Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:59 am

Because you can never have too many saws :D On mine, the shape knob seemed to help with the saw overload. Really love the blender module, too. Things still have a mind of their own at times.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ontrackp
KVRian
654 posts since 13 Jan, 2013 from United States

Post Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:52 am

Played with this for a couple of hours last night. It is so easy to get lost in sound design that composing will be a challenge. This is a HUGE synth with fantastic creative possibilities. Really excited for this month!

Tj Shredder
KVRAF
1858 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:17 am

Great choice for OSC!
I just ran into some questions already:
1. How to use after touch as modulator?
2. In preset "Comb Web Notes" there is a comb filter responsible for the pitch.
There is an assignement to Note+ of course, but how can I combine it with Pitch Bend?
I did not find any tool to simply add two CVs...

Full Bucket
KVRian
559 posts since 25 May, 2010 from Hessisch Uganda, Germany

Post Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:30 am

A pic says more than 1000 words :hihi:

Cheers, Björn

TheNeverScene
KVRian

Post Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:31 am

A CV Merger/Splitter would make a great module

Full Bucket
KVRian

Post Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:39 am

Yeah, I'm planning tools like these...

Cheers Björn

Full Bucket
KVRian

Post Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:40 am

For now pick the LAG/Adder...

TheNeverScene
KVRian

Post Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:53 am

Manual time...no clue what that does

Edit: After checking the manual, I learned that in adderition to not knowing what the LAG/adder does, I also have no clue what any of the tools do. Googling the term led me to some NASA stuff. :?

574X
KVRist
232 posts since 25 Aug, 2016

Post Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:25 pm

TheNeverScene wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:53 am
"Googling the term led me to some NASA stuff. :?"
:borg:

Yes, well, welcome back. As we were just discussing,
z.prime wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:47 pm
my tracks are not really dubstep most of the time...

...There actually is a lot of sound design on the bass elements, but it's all about automating the sounds to be have a lot of movement. Adding a lot of elements isn't really the genre, but rather a lot of movement across a few sounds, like 3-5 "basses" would be a pretty typical dubstep track...

...there's this...
https://soundcloud.com/koan-sound/two-f ... ythm-remix
I always thought the similarities of these tracks were interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVcsq_nGgUQ
z.prime wrote:
...I agree Skrillex has some good skills at vocal chops and music in general, though I don't think he's great, he has had a few very good tracks. The fact someone actually likes Skrillex to me means they are a mainstream music fan. Which is no problem, just an observation, most of his music is awful to me...
I could write a book replying to this, but I'll just say that Moore is one of the most influential sound designers in the world. He was the man behind the man before he was mainstream, and Duda wanted to have something to provide people like him which is why Serum was created. I can't emphasize the significance of this enough.
To this day the smallest of details in his music are sampled and replicated by everyone from amateur to the most dominant artists in the industry who set the trends.

Do I listen to him personally, no.
It's actually shameful how little I've invested in studying his complete works.
Although, I love the intro to his Torro Torro remix and how his drums consistently hit harder than anything else. Just listen to the Humble remix, or anything really.

If I were as smart as him I would've run away and joined a touring band in highschool like he did.

He's also one of the few people that shoulders the responsibility of being a positive influence as a public figure. He even preserves the public image of people who publicly create conflict with him and don't have that natural ability.
z.prime wrote:
...to figure out how to become rich and famous...
I know a lot about this actually, and if any part of this joke was not a joke, I'll just say that both wealth and being a public figure are two immense responsibilities which take a lifetime to master, and which most people do not master because of self-discipline and the ability to educate yourself about finance/economics and sociology, and because of the complexity of the way that financial and ethical interactions scale, the more macro the level.

If you either genetically are predisposed to be extremely outgoing, energetic, and enthusiastic, or do it with the abundance of socially accepted severely mind altering chemicals including caffeine, alcohol and benzodiazepines, AND have developed a burning desire for something that may influence the lives of many people (also which can be done in many ways), fame and fortune is easy to achieve by spamming your personality all over social media including video and audio hosting sites, all day, every day. It's much easier if you grow a team of professionals to facilitate this (remember the giant team Skrillex thanked when he was accepting his in 2013). You will grow even faster, the more you make money for other people, through both direct and inadvertent advertising.

But you know this subconsciously already and were probably just joking so whatev. *shrugs*
brisk walk in the sun
beaming positivity
some protein and rest

Return to “Instruments”