One Synth Challenge #117: ModulAir by Full Bucket (Windows / Mac) (new Synthmaster bundle!)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
] Peter:H [
KVRian
604 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Post Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:19 pm

] deleted [
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mmGhost
KVRist
201 posts since 24 Aug, 2009 from CO, USA

Re: One Synth Challenge #117: ModulAir by Full Bucket (Windows / Mac) (new Synthmaster bundle!)

Post Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:08 pm

and the most daunting part of any OSC, the white piece of paper...

Soundcloud | Spotify | YouTube Tutorials
"Just sidechain everything to everything"

schiing
KVRist
198 posts since 27 Oct, 2015

Re: One Synth Challenge #117: ModulAir by Full Bucket (Windows / Mac) (new Synthmaster bundle!)

Post Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:04 am

WiP ** NOT MY ENTRY AFTER ALL! ** WiP

(Edit Nov 10: Yeah, I decided to ditch this as my entry this month (explanation: see next few posts), but I'm leaving it in the thread - changing the status to WiP - or "early experiments" with ModulAir. Luckily I've got a good thing going with a new track :) )

https://soundcloud.com/terjefjelde/nights-in-otherworld
Last edited by schiing on Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

schiing
KVRist

Post Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:53 am

The more I listen, the more I'm convinced this is a bit of a polished turd. I sometimes get too caught up with production and sound to notice the big pile of nothingness that hides underneath. But at this point I just don't know - maybe it has some qualities and I'm just too fed up with it to notice. It's always amazing to me how blind this process can make you to your own work. Drives me crazy. But hey... I might come up with something more substantial during the next 24 days :o :-o

This is one of the fine things about OSC, though - during the next month or so you will tell me! Hopefully I didn't just lay out the general narrative! :lol:

TheNeverScene
KVRist
482 posts since 1 Dec, 2016

Post Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:28 am

schiing wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:53 am
The more I listen, the more I'm convinced this is a bit of a polished turd. I sometimes get too caught up with production and sound to notice the big pile of nothingness that hides underneath. But at this point I just don't know - maybe it has some qualities and I'm just too fed up with it to notice. It's always amazing to me how blind this process can make you to your own work. Drives me crazy. But hey... I might come up with something more substantial during the next 24 days :o :-o

This is one of the fine things about OSC, though - during the next month or so you will tell me! Hopefully I didn't just lay out the general narrative! :lol:
We ALL suffer from that, my friend! Your track has a lot of good nuggets in there and you're way ahead of me, but it doesn't start sounding like you (classic schiing:) until around the 3 minute mark.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

TheNeverScene
KVRist

Post Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:43 am

And the metallic sounds at the end are killer

schiing
KVRist

Post Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:09 am

TheNeverScene wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:43 am
And the metallic sounds at the end are killer
Thanks! Yeah, I think that's the kind of thing I'll focus on with ModulAir now that I've submitted the track. I felt like I was at a dead end with my submission - no style, no depth. I hope there'll be another one by the end of the month.

And it is comforting to hear that we all struggle with these doubts. :hihi:

I'm curious, are you still happy with your drum sounds? I could not for the life of me get the punch I wanted for this track. The kick drifted, every beat with a different color - so I had to muffle the "knock" to hide it, and my track lost much of the bounce I was going for when I had to increase the attack for all my percussive elements and the bass to at least .10 to avoid clicking.

TheNeverScene
KVRist

Post Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:44 am

Yeah, so far I'm still happy with them, but I'm not going for anything too bombastic...yet. It's weird because I'm not experiencing any notable drift, but I haven't made any real electro drums. I "plan" to though.

My track is nothing like my original version. Go figure! lol
Right now, I'm trying to get some sort of piano sound, or at least an illusion of one.

ilmai
KVRist
300 posts since 25 Aug, 2016 from Helsinki, Finland

Post Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:15 am

I might be out for this round, tried to do some pad sound design but there are several frustrating bugs / features and I think I've had enough.
1) Sustain pedal only seems to affect the main amp envelope and not envelope modules. I.e. if I have an envelope opening the filter, press the sustain pedal and release the keys, the envelope release stage triggers and the filter closes.
2) No way of delaying modulation signals? I.e. no way of creating a DADSR envelope?
3) The BBD delay is just weird and/or buggy and seems unusable for anything. Like I play a note, play another note, and the delay from the old note is still in the buffer although it already went silent? I guess this is because the amp envelope happens after all the modules, but this is not how any other delay works, and basically makes it unusable for anything but recreating modulation effects.
4) Lack of modulation visualization is making more complex modulations really hard to reason about, and more about trial and error than planning.
5) And frankly, all of this would be fine if the base sound of the synth was inspiring, but to me it's just not awesome enough to counter the frustration.

Hopefully see you next month :)

z.prime
KVRAF
1658 posts since 29 Sep, 2011

Post Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:53 pm

Quick note to Bjorn: would be great to save an init patch; takes a bit to get a working sound otherwise and plenty of synths allow this. For this one, init to zero is just a little daunting until you understand all the things to do. So far a great synth to play with, so again, thanks. Awesome work!

Tj Shredder
KVRian
1396 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:20 pm

schiing wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:53 am
The more I listen, the more I'm convinced this is a bit of a polished turd. I sometimes get too caught up with production and sound to notice the big pile of nothingness that hides underneath.
I‘ll put this up in a big frame above my screen. This is the most dangerous trap we can be caught into...
First think about the music, or I start to polish the nothingness with all my skills. That is why very often pieces which do not fulfill all these technical expectations can touch us more than those with the perfect kick...

ilmai
KVRist
300 posts since 25 Aug, 2016 from Helsinki, Finland

Post Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:23 pm

Read my message again and whoops, didn't mean to be so negative :D It's a great concept with a lot of promise, I was just frustrated by my inability to make the synth work with me! I guess there's a reason it's 0.8 and not 1.0. :) Happy OSCing everyone!

Rellik
KVRian
1223 posts since 22 Aug, 2003

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:04 am

Another rules question (I'm sure this comes up all the time) - convolution? If you're using custom samples/recordings or bounces as your impulse responses that's obviously not allowed, but what about stock impulse responses that are built into common free plugins like Melda MConvolutionEZ or Voxengo Boogex/other amp sims? (Basically typical reverbs, reflections, boxes, mics, amps, speakers - no special effects like voices or instruments).

Saffran
KVRist
30 posts since 20 Oct, 2018

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:21 am

I don't understand the "expected" interaction between modules.
Anybody have a link to some place where i can learn more about these lfos, vcos, filters, envelopes and their interactions?
How someone can come up with a soundscape And drums two days after the announcement is beyond my comprehension.
I've fiddled with it hours every day and can't for the life of me get a drum sound. Not even close.
Yup, i read somewhere that i needed a sine (wave?). Ok, oscillators have that. Then i needed an envelope generator and there is modules for that. But??

Full Bucket
KVRian
529 posts since 25 May, 2010 from Hessisch Uganda, Germany

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:30 am

ilmai wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:23 pm
Read my message again and whoops, didn't mean to be so negative :D It's a great concept with a lot of promise, I was just frustrated by my inability to make the synth work with me! I guess there's a reason it's 0.8 and not 1.0. :) Happy OSCing everyone!
That's OK, I can stand (or ignore) a slap on the back. :hihi:
Please just understand that I am doing this for free in my spare time.

The rather low version number 0.8.0 is indeed no mistake, and I wish there would be more numbers available from here to v1.0.0. :roll:

Currently I am working on a "Master Module Mechanism" (i.e. a way to put modules after the general ADSR and voice summation node). This would enable the "standard" use of the BBD as an overall delay, allow for paraphonic modulators and processors etc. But this is *very* tricky and will take some time. And of course I want it to be backwards-compatible... :cry:

Apart from that I receive a lot of ideas and requests (and of course have many more of them myself) that I'd like to include. And yes, the manual is crap and below my own standards. :x

Cheers, Björn

Return to “Instruments”