best roland D-50 VST alternative

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fluffy_little_something wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:14 pm Xpand2 is mature the way it is. Sure, synth-like editing is limited, but there is lots of content and with those 4 layers and few, but useful parameters one can easily build unique sounds.
If I got that right, it uses several types of synthesis, not just samples.

Just combined a few more or less random layers:

https://app.box.com/s/i1n3rm0hyv1k04oea2z6ixwes5fqt84q
here is the default RavityS patch "Fascination" i tweaked.It uses 4 layers as well,
difference to xpand? well listen to it. it weighs in at 42mb
compared to what for xpand2?? :hihi:
https://app.box.com/s/gkjcb7jb968ppty1hp7u2rs3z5rldz25
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Usually Korg has a sale around Christmas time cutting the price for their plugins in half.

I bought M1 one year and then Wavestation the next for $25 a piece. :)

i got korg wavestation VST... extremely happy with it. i love the way it layers up to 8 presets, long evolving atmospheric sounds are what i wanted and this definitely delivers, very beautiful. i put an ableton compressor on it and it brings the sound to life and then playing with the system-8 hardware at the same time is a very nice combination, especially the JX-3P. this reminds me of JDXA which i like.

paid $50 for it and that seems very fair the VST conjures nostalgia on multiple levels. the mod wheel mapped perfectly to the S8 stick which was a nice surprise but no vector stick of course. might try and recreate that with a controller.

thank you :tu: :party:

Wusikstation is another one that can do sounds like that:
https://soundcloud.com/examigan/sounds-like-it

Many such pads may sound nice on their own, but they are way too much for a musical context except maybe sci-fi soundtracks.

... or boring new age.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

fluffy_little_something wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:54 pm Many such pads may sound nice on their own, but they are way too much for a musical context except maybe sci-fi soundtracks.
I was just suggesting something as the topic said "best roland D-50 VST alternative".
How about someone else naming one?

LinPlug CrX4

Aloysius wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:17 pm LinPlug CrX4
Yes, that's a good one. :)

:tu:

Aloysius wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:17 pm LinPlug CrX4
:love: CRX4 :love:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Examigan wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:10 pm
fluffy_little_something wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:54 pm Many such pads may sound nice on their own, but they are way too much for a musical context except maybe sci-fi soundtracks.
I was just suggesting something as the topic said "best roland D-50 VST alternative".
How about someone else naming one?
I was not referring to you. I simply made a general remark on such fancy layered sounds as I was listening to those audio files :wink:

I know they aren't anything like a D-50, but I imitated some of the sounds from the game "Defender" using CrX4. It's a very cool synth plugin. :)

nvm

Just wanted to ask even after AIR synths were mentioned, nobody mentioned Loom which is their additive synth, which is what D50 basically is, and can get closer to D50 then Xpand ever can because of it's unique evolving additive synth features

Return to “Instruments”