Please, let's collect granular instruments (and such)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
mtelesha
KVRist
56 posts since 21 May, 2018

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:22 am

DiscoDSP Bliss is able to do granular - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmdvJgX0XG0

Autobot
KVRian
541 posts since 27 Mar, 2013

Re: Please, let's collect granular instruments (and such)

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:23 am

whyterabbyt wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:09 am
Autobot wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:25 am
whyterabbyt wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:18 am
[...] Almost nothing you've mentioned is a 'full' granular synthesiser, they almost all include it within what's basically a subtractive synth wrapper [...]
Do not want to argue just interest in your knowledge. So what is a full granular synthesizer for you?
For me it's the fact that a sample get granulated and I can control a good amount of the way it' gets granulized. Density, Speed, Pitch, distribution, sample point, loop, etc.

And of course a envelope or filter are not necessary but welcome ... so yeah subtractive :oops:
CrusherX is the closest on your list, and then, Im afraid, its all those tools used to build the MAX/csound/supercollider stuff you're not interested in. What we tend to get in VST-land is granular synthesis oscillators, not granular synthesisers, and there's a lot more to the latter (for example, consider if each grain had its own effects chain and how you can deal with clusters of grains) .

http://granularsynthesis.com/software.php

Granular synthesis doesnt actually have a prerequisite of using a sample by the way; that's the instant-gratification implementation we most commonly see, but the grain source can be a simple single-cycle wavetable.

If you're interested, definitely have a read of a copy of Curtis Roads' Microsounds.
Ahh okay. Thats where you coming from :hug:

I exclude the programming stuff because it needs programming or? I can code html/xml but always was afraid of those environments. I rather wanted a "easy" solution. Or is there some kind of presets/ready-to-use-objects?
I grew up on a junkyard, where I started to feed from hubcaps and bumpers

Teksonik
KVRAF
11547 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:28 am

Alchemy has always been my favorite for granular. Still available on the Mac but I don't know if it's locked to Logic or not since I don't own a Mac. Still works just fine on Windows here but no longer available for purchase.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
26225 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:36 am

Autobot wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:23 am
I exclude the programming stuff because it needs programming or? I can code html/xml but always was afraid of those environments. I rather wanted a "easy" solution. Or is there some kind of presets/ready-to-use-objects?
Not really, I think Crusher-X might be your best bet. Have a look at the link I gave you, though, its a pretty decent list there.
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."

Autobot
KVRian

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:37 am

whyterabbyt wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:36 am
Autobot wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:23 am
Not really, I think Crusher-X might be your best bet. Have a look at the link I gave you, though, its a pretty decent list there.
Super. Thank you very much.

Dasheesh
KVRAF
2693 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:18 am

The confusion comes from 95% of granular on the market are grain filters. There are very few that produce grains at the oscillator level... only a couple I can think of. Most of it is taking a sound source and breaking it up into grain - a grain filter. If you want to put limitations on your sound source, like a sample or a non grain oscillator... that's different.

Autobot
KVRian

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:29 am

Dasheesh wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:18 am
The confusion comes from 95% of granular on the market are grain filters. There are very few that produce grains at the oscillator level... only a couple I can think of. Most of it is taking a sound source and breaking it up into grain - a grain filter. If you want to put limitations on your sound source, like a sample or a non grain oscillator... that's different.
Allright. Can you name some apps which can "produce grains at the oscillator level" ? TIA

Dasheesh
KVRAF

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:13 am

@autobot, granular got started with scoundrel and then took off with the max msp crowd. they were still playing with grain filters at that time though. the grain oscillators are a newer phenomena that came with more powerful cpus. i believe it's called "pulsar" synthesis. there used to be one called nuklear, i don't know if it's still on the market. i believe the tone2 one is pulsar (would have to look it up), and i think there is a freeware one floating around.

Dasheesh
KVRAF

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:13 am

i stick to grain filters myself fyi.

Dasheesh
KVRAF

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:16 am

also, i think that wave table synthesizer that waves has might actually produce with grain oscillator synthesis.

pilotredsun
KVRist
46 posts since 16 Sep, 2016

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:32 pm

Neon Breath
KVRAF
2943 posts since 15 Sep, 2010

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:44 pm

Granulizer by Inertia Sound System is great and pretty unique.

https://www.inertiasoundsystems.com/sto ... ranulizer/

Examigan
KVRAF
4368 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Post Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:03 am

pilotredsun wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:32 pm
TubeOhm Pure-Grain https://www.kvraudio.com/product/pure_d ... by_tubeohm
Off topic here, but I wonder if TubeOhm will produce 64-bit versions of their synths, as I thought there was a 64-bit version of SynthEdit now... but could be wrong. :?

Tj Shredder
KVRian
1395 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:28 pm

Dasheesh wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:13 am
@autobot, granular got started with scoundrel and then took off with the max msp crowd. they were still playing with grain filters at that time though. the grain oscillators are a newer phenomena that came with more powerful cpus. i believe it's called "pulsar" synthesis. there used to be one called nuklear, i don't know if it's still on the market. i believe the tone2 one is pulsar (would have to look it up), and i think there is a freeware one floating around.
Granular synthesis started with the work of Curtis Roads.
I have no idea what you mean with grain filters. There are no filters involved in granular synthesis. The original idea is that there is a perceptional minimal recognizable sound grain. Make a fade in and out as short as possible on a sine wave which would still have its pitch...
Never heard about scoundrel, there seems to be a rock band with that name, but no granular sounds from them... Could you elaborate?

VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF
8498 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Post Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:20 pm

Granulab

Return to “Instruments”