FXpansion Tremor-Snares

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Tremor

I am getting to grips with Tremor, so far I like the bass drums it can make, the claps are good too. I think it's excellent for closed high hats have 3 envelopes and being able to assign a little bit of many things to hap they is really flexible, nd capable of a lot. Having a second filter it the FX chain really add so much, especially as this can be take the transmod too. I am getting there with open high hahts too.

But Snares I'm finding a bit restricted. Having the the oscillator and the noise both go through the filter is limiting, she triangle wave needs a bit taken off, but the noise less so. I wtched both the FXpansion videos on vintage and real snares, which are pretty good vids.

It dawned on me to have the oscillator and octave higher and off, then using the sub-osc as the main osc. Any other suggestions that are outside the box?

The only other idea I have I to link engines. But then you loose an engine.

Strobe has a leaky filter option, I guess that could have helped here.

I do hope they have something similar planned to Tremor using it's engines. I can only think Geist3, but I like the sepearation of synth and sample player. I guess if it was a a separate synth page it would be the best of both worlds.

By outside the box ideas, I meant creatively than outside of the VST, but stumbled on this last night, and being synthesized kind of fits the ethos.
https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... -SnareBuzz

This is something the effect filters can be useful for - one of them (maybe more than 1?) has some pretty esoteric filter responses which are more complex than standard lp/hp/bp. Very useful for snares and claps

I'll delve a little deeper. I thought today about the fx filters having a mix control, so I can still leak out some of the noise and retain some brightness

I had a look - the ones you want are Hoover / Grandad / Child Genius / Japan filters - these have the extended modes. Maybe putting a comb and one of these filters in series could get even more crazy, I will have to try it myself. I also realised the main filter in the synth section itself has the extended modes if you change it to 'clean' mode - click the 'fat' button if it's in that mode to change it to clean mode.

between the 'crappy' tin can reverb and the effect-slot filter (big +1 to using those for extended shaping), I can do pretty much everything I need with snares. It's really more about stylistic preference, I guess. I also tend to use the Graph modulation a lot on my snares (modulating mix of the reverb, pitch, hits of a fast delay...) so that every snare hit is different.

Kamikaze Coda wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:16 pm I'll delve a little deeper. I thought today about the fx filters having a mix control, so I can still leak out some of the noise and retain some brightness
Yes the mix control is useful, as mholloway mentioned with modulating the reverb mix, the mix control can be modulated for the filters as well of course - so you could modulate this with velocity or an envelope. The filter mode control in the main synth engine filter can also be modulated for added crazyness. Another tip - the phaser effect on a static freq (turn down the depth control) can do nice sizzly things to snares, I like the 4 pole modes in particular which work nicely with around 0.2 resonance.

Is anyone still using this? Considering buying it used - but i am gutted they stopped supporting it. What the hell is with them abandoning all of their software constantly?? I remember loving tremor when i tried it. But i am worried it won't work

DavidCarlyon wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:53 pm Is anyone still using this? Considering buying it used - but i am gutted they stopped supporting it. What the hell is with them abandoning all of their software constantly?? I remember loving tremor when i tried it. But i am worried it won't work
I love it. However, fxpansion does discontinue products nearly as quickly as iZotope and Native Instruments.

DavidCarlyon wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:53 pm Is anyone still using this? Considering buying it used - but i am gutted they stopped supporting it. What the hell is with them abandoning all of their software constantly?? I remember loving tremor when i tried it. But i am worried it won't work
You can still download the demo.
Tested it recently and found it buggy. Hovering the mouse over a knob made it turn.
Geist is much much better.
The average bored guy

Tremor is such a good product. It's a waste to let it go like that. I hope they will integrate it in Geist.

They don't communicate a lot though. So it's a guessing game.

DavidCarlyon wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:53 pm Is anyone still using this?
I am.

It’s a mature product and works really well for me. No issues.

I’ve released a sound pack for Tremor which provides a more ‘modern’ set of sounds. From dance, pop, to funk, d&b and glitch. Lot’s of solid and punchy sounds. (Forgive me the shamless self promotion).
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Kamikaze Coda wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:53 am Any other suggestions that are outside the box?
What type of snares are you after? A typical 'dance' snare is built differently to a more acoustic sounding one.
Kamikaze Coda wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:53 am But Snares I'm finding a bit restricted. Having the the oscillator and the noise both go through the filter is limiting, she triangle wave needs a bit taken off, but the noise less so. I wtched both the FXpansion videos on vintage and real snares, which are pretty good vids.
I agree with you, in that the oscillator and the noise wave should never be summed into one and the same filter. Still, we can make some lovely snares, both the electronic and more acoustic. I could post some audio examples.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

i watched this 2 days ago. does a pretty solid job imo.
cableguys halftime vst
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYkIMEfR1k4

Return to “Instruments”