Arturia - Black Friday 2018

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fmr wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:26 pm
rlared wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:11 pm Is Arturia V6 worth $199 if I already have NI Komplete 11? I do have a Komplete Kontrol MK2 so the NKS readiness is helpful. But with the demos I didn't hear anything that special compared to Komplete.
Which ones did you demo? It's impossible that with things like Synclavier V, DX7 V, Buchla Easel V or Matrix-12 V, to name just a few, you "didn't hear anything that special".
I think Arturia's stuff is overrated. Nothing of theirs has ever grabbed me; every Arturia synth I've tried has left me with a "meh" feeling.

Harry_HH wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:17 pm
rezoneight wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:25 pm What a bunch of crap. I bought 5->6 last year for $149...the best offer I would ever receive. Now I have an offer to upgrade to $99...when I already have v6 ;)
If you purchased a year ago by $ 149, you have had the ver. 6 in use for few cents a day, comparing those who waited the upgrade until today.

Isn't that quite a good deal?
Sorry...I might have sounded a little jaded in my post ;) I thought it was worth it at $149 and don't regret the buy at all. But they did say that would be the lowest offer ever and now this year its $50 less. Doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies about their honesty in those emails.

Very generous No Brainer from Arturia. Done.
KVR - the many headed beast.

I only have 3 of their plugs so €199 is till a bit steep for me

Which are their best plugs in your opinion?

Speaking of jaded...

I'm still on V Collection 5 which tends not to get a lot of use - a combination of U-He, Spectrasonics, Avenger and Nexus tends to meet most of my needs. Going through the presets in Analog Lab 3, the Fairlight is a lovely nostaligic glow but has severe looping glitches (and if Arturia can't get rid of them I doubt I will be able to... my glow fades when I hear looping glitches); the DX7 sounds like a DX7, the Buschel has some nice sounds and some not so nice. I'm unlikely to devote the time to learning to program any of these in practice, so although the $99 upgrade is a more than fair price I'm going to skip for now.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:55 am I'm unlikely to devote the time to learning to program any of these in practice, so although the $99 upgrade is a more than fair price I'm going to skip for now.
I can understand this.
I like the Synclavier more as the Fairlight but it's not something I really need. I had a DX21 and still own a SY99.. my interest for FM synthesis is very limited and so my interest for the DX7. The Music Easel is IMO more a toy. I have not found a usage for it. I don't like the pianos.
The price is very fair but I'm not sure if I will upgrade, because I don't really need the new versions.

noiseboyuk wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:55 am Speaking of jaded...

I'm still on V Collection 5 which tends not to get a lot of use - a combination of U-He, Spectrasonics, Avenger and Nexus tends to meet most of my needs.
It's a good collection you listed, although it has little/nothing to do with the Arturia VC. Omnisphere is mainly a ROMpler with a massive sample collection, and its price alone is higher than the entire VC. Nexus is very much the same as Omnisphere (without the synthesis capabilities, and older). Avenger is a very good synth, with a modern sound, very much EDM oriented, IMO, but its synthesis basis is (once again) sampling and wavetable. Only the U-He synths, (depending which they are) could overlap somehow.
noiseboyuk wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:55 am Going through the presets in Analog Lab 3, the Fairlight is a lovely nostaligic glow but has severe looping glitches (and if Arturia can't get rid of them I doubt I will be able to... my glow fades when I hear looping glitches); the DX7 sounds like a DX7, the Buschel has some nice sounds and some not so nice.
The Fairlight may present some problems with the loops due to the fact Arturia emulated its (very old) method of dividing the sample in slices, with the loop adjusting with those slices, and the lack of "crossfade loop" options. I hope they add a better (more modern) way of handling loops in the future. IMO there are things that don't need (shouldn't even be) emulated.

Regarding "the DX7 sounds like a DX7", you realize that's the best compliment you could make to it? Anyway, actually, it doesn't sound like a DX7. It "can" sound like a DX7, but it also can sound a lot better and do much more. Anyone that ever heard ow know what is a DX7 would know that.

Don't know what is a "Buschel" :shrug:

There are also the Matrix-12 V, the Synclavier V, the Jup-8 V, the Prophet V, the CS-80 V, the Modular V, the ARP 2600 V, thew SEM V, the Solina V, the organs, the pianos, etc. Lots of variety, with very different and good sounds. I find amazing that someone who has the entire collection don't find at least a handful of them that could be useful.

And this leads to the final conclusion. You seem to have bought Arturia VC without knowing what it is, and what the original instruments were. And it seems you have a particular sound in your mind which isn't exactly what these instruments are thought for. You should maybe study more what you have before posting comments. It looks like you don't even know what you bought. You compare Apples with Oranges.
Last edited by fmr on Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:35 amOmnisphere is mainly a ROMpler with a massive sample collection...
...and that's where I stopped reading your post.

Breathtaking.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:43 am
fmr wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:35 amOmnisphere is mainly a ROMpler with a massive sample collection...
...and that's where I stopped reading your post.

Breathtaking.
Which means you can't read either :shrug:

No matter what else it is capable of (and I think it doesn't particularly exceeds in any field), Omnisphere is "MAINLY" a ROMpler (otherwise, what is that massive sampling library there for)? Take the library away, and tell me what are you left with.

How many purely synthesis sounds are present in the library? Can you even tell?
Fernando (FMR)

fmr - I'm not going to debate this pathetic peurile argument any more on KVR. When Spectrasonics have just released Hardware Proflies for 20 analogue synths without using a single sample - all VA - and you STILL get this pathological shit, I am done.

Anyway, the point of my post wasn't to convince anyone of anything. I have V Collection 5, and barely use it. It's not bad, far from it, but in terms of sound and workflow its pretty much superfluous to my needs across multiple genres. $99 is a great deal, but its not a no-brainer in every case. (Is there ever a real universal no-brainer?)
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:53 am fmr - I'm not going to debate this pathetic peurile argument any more on KVR. When Spectrasonics have just released Hardware Proflies for 20 analogue synths without using a single sample - all VA - and you STILL get this pathological shit, I am done.
"Hardware Profiles"? :lol:

Do you actually "know" (have the slightest idea) what you are talking about?

"Hardware Profiles allow hardware synths to act as extensive hands-on controllers for Omnisphere. When a Hardware Profile is loaded, Omnisphere is instantly linked to that hardware synth. By translating MIDI messages from the hardware, it triggers sophisticated interactions from a single touch of a knob, including the ability for Omnisphere to automatically switch interface pages, recall entire FX racks, assign multiple scaled parameters, and even create complex modulation matrix routings on-the-fly."

What does that have to do with the synthesis capabilities of Omnisphere? It just allows for hardware synths to act as controllers :roll:
Fernando (FMR)

4damind wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:34 am
noiseboyuk wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:55 am I'm unlikely to devote the time to learning to program any of these in practice, so although the $99 upgrade is a more than fair price I'm going to skip for now.
I can understand this.
I like the Synclavier more as the Fairlight but it's not something I really need. I had a DX21 and still own a SY99.. my interest for FM synthesis is very limited and so my interest for the DX7. The Music Easel is IMO more a toy. I have not found a usage for it. I don't like the pianos.
The price is very fair but I'm not sure if I will upgrade, because I don't really need the new versions.
This is shockingly mature and a completely alien mindset to me.

Did you mean manure or immature or immature manure or mature manure?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

fmr wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:59 am
noiseboyuk wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:53 am fmr - I'm not going to debate this pathetic peurile argument any more on KVR. When Spectrasonics have just released Hardware Proflies for 20 analogue synths without using a single sample - all VA - and you STILL get this pathological shit, I am done.
"Hardware Profiles"? :lol:

Do you actually "know" (have the slightest idea) what you are talking about?

"Hardware Profiles allow hardware synths to act as extensive hands-on controllers for Omnisphere. When a Hardware Profile is loaded, Omnisphere is instantly linked to that hardware synth. By translating MIDI messages from the hardware, it triggers sophisticated interactions from a single touch of a knob, including the ability for Omnisphere to automatically switch interface pages, recall entire FX racks, assign multiple scaled parameters, and even create complex modulation matrix routings on-the-fly."

What does that have to do with the synthesis capabilities of Omnisphere? It just allows for hardware synths to act as controllers :roll:
You sure don't know what you're talking about. The Hardware profiles come with 1,000 patches, usable by anyone without the hardware. They added filters and wavetables from the synths themselves as part of the profiles, again usable by anyone. Every single new patch is pure VA, to add to the thousands of existing ones.

But you carry on - I know you will. I am very much out of every KVR discussion regarding Omnisphere which indeed seeps into any thread apparently mentioning the word "Spectrasonics" in passing. Life is very much too short.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Return to “Instruments”