Dune 3! Who Knows Things I Don't?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:42 am Grace period = If you bought Dune 2 today, and Dune 3 is released tomorrow, will you get Dune 3 as a courtesy, because you couldn't know that Dune 3 will be released.
no, they have never done that, and D2 is on sale right now, so if you buy D2 and upgrade to D3 its prob a lot cheaper anyway

chk071 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:42 am Grace period = If you bought Dune 2 today, and Dune 3 is released tomorrow, will you get Dune 3 as a courtesy, because you couldn't know that Dune 3 will be released.
Exactly what you said.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

AnX wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:53 am
no, they have never done that, and D2 is on sale right now, so if you buy D2 and upgrade to D3 its prob a lot cheaper anyway
Alright, fair enough.

chk071 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:09 am
Muziksculp wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:20 am I'm guessing Dune 3 will be VST 3 format, which might be the reason it is taking so long to code. Since Steinberg is no longer developing, or supporting VST 2.

Actually, I think that's one of the reasons that many other developers have not been releasing new VST Synths, since it requires they get familiar with coding for VST 3 format, which takes a good chunk of time.
They all still should have licenses to develop VST2, though.

As for Dune 3, I doubt it. All Synapse synths are VST2 only, so, can't see that change suddenly.
I don't know Steinberg's licensing model, but unless their license expires developers can probably continue to make VST2 plugins till hell freezes over if that is what they want.

True. I'd still like more and more to hop on the VST3 wagon though. It's about time.

Would probably make more DAW's implement VST3 features as well.

chk071 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:12 pm True. I'd still like more and more to hop on the VST3 wagon though. It's about time.

Would probably make more DAW's implement VST3 features as well.
My understanding is that VST3 has no built in way to do MIDI Learn because Steinberg assumed hosts would all handle controller assignments natively. There are ways for developers to work around this, including Steinberg themselves apparently, but for now: I stick with VST2 for instruments and VST3 for effects whenever possible.

Dunno. Some of the VST3's I use have MIDI learn.

TBH, for me, MIDI learn always has been a PITA. Some VST's have it implemented, some only use fixed MIDI CC's, so you have to use the host's MIDI learn, then there's wrappers from keyboard manufacturers... and some VST's even tend to lose their MIDI assignment. Wished there was a universal solution, so you don't need to use different options.

I think Midi learn should be handled on the VST level, as some people use more than one DAW.
And those settings should be saved along with every patch.

fluffy_little_something wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:13 pm I think Midi learn should be handled on the VST level, as some people use more than one DAW.
And those settings should be saved along with every patch.
We agree. MIDI learn is a train wreck. AAS VA 2 loses its assignment after you close down the VST. So any patches programmed with it are pretty much pointless.

I stay away from MIDI learn unless I have no choice.

I would like to see D3 as a VST3, but alas, I have no support for it. :P
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

Gamma-UT wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:37 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:54 pm no thanks. ive seen enough spice zombies at the bus station to know it's not for me!
What have you got against lying catatonic on the floor, drooling while your right leg twitches uncontrollably?
i look terrible in jogging pants.

Any rumor about Dune 3 lately? I remember it will be release by the end of November...
Trance, Trance Is Life

It should be ready early next week, we are putting the finishing touches on it :)

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

No teaser screen shots? :)
Pretty please?
rsp
sound sculptist

Richard_Synapse wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:39 pm It should be ready early next week, we are putting the finishing touches on it :)

Richard
:wheee:
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

Return to “Instruments”