Wind modelling synths?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Are there any softsynths capable of wind instrument modelling besides Modelonia and Tassman? I used to have the VL plugin board for my Motif that did it quite well.

Linplug SaxLab and DASH Signature TubileSax come to mind, but both are discontinued. You can still purchase SaxLab through Linplug's Facebook page though.

On the pricier end, you might check out the SWAM woodwinds from Audio Modeling. Though I recall that those are not fully "modeled" (using some kind of fancy crossfading between phase-matched samples in addition to the physical modeling algorithms, I believe), they do sound quite good from the demos.

Edit: I recalled correctly. Here's a post from the Audio Modeling CEO describing the evolution of the techniques used in the SWAM products: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=488332&p=7014878#p7014878

Wallander WIVI is a good one.... expensive though, and somewhat older, but the pro player still gives a huge amount of control....

If you have realtor, check out the silver wood ensemble too....

The Chet Singer ensembles for Reaktor are very impressive.

chroma wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:10 am Wallander WIVI is a good one.... expensive though, and somewhat older, but the pro player still gives a huge amount of control....

If you have realtor, check out the silver wood ensemble too....
I have the orchestral brass thingy - no woodwinds.

Agree it's good - but look out for that almost fraudulent stripping of the Standard Engine - you really need the Pro engine to control many things, like having multiple outputs.

Not even reading manuals help to read what is actually there in limitations. Wallander was really lazy in doing that.

So the Wivi that is the cheap version - which is the demo - with a cocktail of stuff - you can't do anything really. So check it thoroughly - and ask a lot of questions before going for standard engine anything. I'd say you need Pro engine as well - so calculate cost for that. And note Wivi - as is demo - is not the standard engine even, even more stripped.

https://www.wallanderinstruments.com/wallander.php

So he is listing many things for Pro engine - but not that standard engine only have one instrument output - and if you use internal reverb and extra output for wet from that.

Thanks! I'll check out the Reaktor ensembles. I was impressed by some of Harm Visser sound demos for Tassman but his soundset was very expensive and it seems it's no longer available.

@szurcio, Steam Pipe 1/2 from Reaktor, I think. At least it can sound like a flute and etc. Modalys also comes to mind, but it's difficult to use, not a conventional synth, associated with Max/Cycling74 and such stuff.

Chromaphone 2 does some wind modelling as well as Prism for Reaktor should too. I'm really commenting because I'd like to know more which do.

It's an area I would like to see more physical modeling of...

+1
The Chet Singer Reaktor ensembles are definitely great, especially with a wind controller (EWI USB here). Yesterday I looked into Reaktor Kontour and it also has some nice Woodwinds, although they aren't exactly "modelled".
The SWAM modules are a bit out if my price range.
Too bad that Tassman is officially dead now, I had big hopes there.
Definitely an area where there is room for more...
(although good and especially versatile physical modelling in general doesn't exactly seem to be the most crowded place - I'm not looking for perfect simulations but more for physically believable sounds).

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

ThomasHelzle wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:29 pm I'm not looking for perfect simulations but more for physically believable sounds).
Yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for - I don't need precise emulations of real instruments (that's what sample libraries are for with their clever scripting and detailed samples) - I'm looking for "something similar to" real instruments that would make people wonder what wind instrument that is because it doesn't sound exactly like any existing real-world woodwinds or brass.

szurcio wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:44 pm
ThomasHelzle wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:29 pm I'm not looking for perfect simulations but more for physically believable sounds).
Yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for - I don't need precise emulations of real instruments (that's what sample libraries are for with their clever scripting and detailed samples) - I'm looking for "something similar to" real instruments that would make people wonder what wind instrument that is because it doesn't sound exactly like any existing real-world woodwinds or brass.
exactly what I want too...

I wonder if it's much more difficult to design than string modelling synthesis, which seems to have dominated the market (String Studio, Sakura, Falcon, Kaivo)

The basics of wind synths are pretty well understood. I think the bigger issue is having expressive controls mapped to the relevant parameters. I’m thinking that a LinnStrument plus breath controller would provide an optimal set of controls. Or a Touché plus normal keyboard. Or and EWI, obviously. I’m really impressed with some of the wind patches I’ve seen for the Continuum, but I think even that would benefit from being paired with a breath controller.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “Instruments”