DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

PietW. wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:08 pm I have just imported a waveform from Serum. 32bit, 2048 samples. After the second waveform, DUNE3 has completely crashed with Reaper.
Which OS and Reaper version do you use?
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

SLiC wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:31 am
Ghost Dog wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:32 pm Well, it's kinda like "DUNE 2.8" in my opinion.

It sounds better, it has a WT editor and some new filters (OTOH, if D2 was at this level of sound quality, I wouldn't have sold the license; oh well, what can you do).

But ... it still feels like it's still DUNE 2 and not something new (as was anticipated).
I must admit I feel the same way
+1

It's a bit of a mixed bag. The UI is more balanced and I like the new filters and effects which can steer Dune in somewhat new sonic territory. Maybe some videos can show more of the hidden gems but this does feel more like a 2.8 version than a 3.0.

Personally I would have liked a more modern approach towards the preset browser and the arps.
I'm very impressed with the arp/cmd approach of Ana2 but the Dune3 approach is like the old school Sylenth approach which to me is just outdated in 2018.
Also no right click or drag and drop for modulation assignments.
I guess no MPE support is to be expected?

There are other things on offer like the Roland Cloud offer and the Arturia coming in a few days.
We'll see what these bring to the table....
Last edited by Stefken on Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I've made a quick video showing off the new features and what I like and don't like about the upgrade. Not a full review by any means, but something to take a look at if you are away from your computer and can't wait to check out the upgrade :phones:

As far as I'm aware it's the first video about Dune 3 to come online :party:
Check it out here:
https://youtu.be/wolZwASlSHo

Edit - Stereo version now up
Last edited by SynthRatings on Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I make videos about synths, you can find my channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/synthratings

keel wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:49 am Well, correct me if I am wrong, but:

- Still no possibility to copy osc 1 to osc 2.
- Still no Solo button on OSC Mixer, you always have to slide down other OSC's volumes to hear what you are doing :dog:
- Still no right click -> lock knob section.
- Still no drag and drop modulation
- Still small and quite uninspiring mod matrix
- 128 is too low for maximum voices, you ran out of them pretty soon
- Don't really hear any big improvements on the sound itself, sounds just like Dune 2

and it just crashed..

After glorius The Legend, I had high hopes for this, but sadly this doesn't reach them. So, this is not for me. Congrats for the release anyway. Peace.
Glad someonefeels the same.
The bwst way to show to not support this move from syanpse audio. No purchase/no upgrade
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Whywhy wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:36 am @ Synapse audio team : congratulations for the release !
Richard, do you plan to add Mpe in a future update ?
I don‘t even consider downloading the demo if it does not support MPE... We are close to 2019...
To support VST3 expressions falls into the same category btw...

Examigan wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:15 pm
Oberheim 8000 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:05 am I got crash when load first time Dune 3, initialize patch, select WT > Edit > Clean Wavetable > Edit Partials / Harmonics (the sine icon) and try raise first harmonic. It not allways crash, but it crashing with this steps I described. Sometimes it not crash on first edit but on second edit same harmonic.
I confirmed this happening (I'm using the demo version) with your steps, and I'm using Cakewalk by Bandlab. The whole DAW just closed down. No error message or anything, just...poof! and it's gone.
I have a similar crash which closed my DAW down without a message or something. Maybe its not only in combination with the wavetable editor? I had the Dune3 editor window closed, came back to the DAW and clicked somewhere in the project and the DAW closed instantly.

It's crashing Studio One 4 here (without a message, just crash to desktop) when you open up the wavetable editor, and then click on the + to add a new waveform to the wavetable.

Also a crash here on Live 10.

Ingonator wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:17 pm
PietW. wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:08 pm I have just imported a waveform from Serum. 32bit, 2048 samples. After the second waveform, DUNE3 has completely crashed with Reaper.
Reaper 5.963 64Bit. The same in Cubase 10. Import a Wave than klick on + and then Crash.
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

SynthRatings wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:24 pm I've made a quick video showing off the new features and what I like and don't like about the upgrade. Not a full review by any means, but something to take a look at if you are away from your computer and can't wait to check out the upgrade :phones:

As far as I'm aware it's the first video about Dune 3 to come online :party:
Check it out here:
https://youtu.be/kzeoGUfW2_E
Thanks for the short intro.
I think ramp down/up is for blending two oscillators to be able to create new sounds.

Also I will not upgrade yet for the reasons you mentioned. Will see if there will a) be a better upgrade price or b) be new features in coming minors.
If there had been a intro discount for upgrades I would definitively have bought this for $50-60. (Similar as you said it)

And yes, you are right, a better Mod Matrix is a major feature which would be worth upgrading for the high price of $79.

So to all you who dont like the update... have you emailed Synapse about your requests, concerns & crashes? If you respectfully correspond with them they most likely will take action in future. Or do you just wanna be mad & post online?
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

I am not mad, quite relieved I won't have to spend any more money this month!

I think new synths can be expected to have certain things as a 'basic' starting point in 2019....VST3, MPE, tagged preset browser, drag and drop modulation , scalable display etc...these should be standard for a 'new' synth.
Last edited by SLiC on Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

PietW. wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:58 pm
Ingonator wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:17 pm
Reaper 5.963 64Bit. The same in Cubase 10. Import a Wave than klick on + and then Crash.
Did not happen during beta testing and doing my own patches.

I shortly checked again with this setup/hosts, again no crash so far:
- 64-bit VST2 in Live 10.0.5
- 64-bit VST2 in Cubase 9.5.41
- 64-bit AAX in Pro Tools Ultimate 2018.10.0

This is with the full/NFR version of DUNE v3.00 (release version).
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

God dammit why didn't Synapse give us every feature ever suggested by anyone all for free without any copy protection ? It's not fair........ :x

Two days ago........
Teksonik wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:53 pm When Dune 3 is released that's when the bitching will start. "Why didn't you add the feature I wanted ? Why ? You suuuuuuck".
You lot are a predictable bunch of whiners.... :lol:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I like the Segment Tool inside Dune 3, but I think this tools have bug or I misunderstand this tool. When I draw line it automaticly change wave. When I right click on the screen, dropdownn menu show me Apply and Clear options. Clear is working, it clear the Segments, but aply does nothing, then I assume, this tool is intended for design line, and after I am satisfied, I click on the Apply and wave is change to Segment Wave. But unfortunately it is not working that.

Return to “Instruments”