DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Teksonik wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:43 pm
djanthonyw wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:23 pm You’re completely missing the point. It’s about being self sufficient and not having to worry about how you’re going to use the product you paid for if anything happens to the dev one day. Something tells me you’ve never experienced that.
So based on some possible future where the plugin stops working and the dev goes out of business and they didn't leave any method to keep the plugin working you'll pass on that plugin altogether ?

Seems a shame to pass on such a great synth just because of unjustified paranoia. If Synapse were a new company run by unknown developers I could see the fear being justified but with a company that's been around for going on two decades now and that is run by really nice people who don't strike me as the type who would just screw over their users in case things go bad I think it's unjustified paranoia.

For the record I'm as anti-copy protection as anyone but the Synapse method is totally painless. I think you're over reacting. But I won't buy a dongle so to each his own.... :shrug:
Wait a minute... can someone explain me how the copy protection of dune 3 works?

I mean if it is not serial how the other method work? at least I can generate my license and in case of system crash I can save my license in a external hard drive and then authorize the synth in a safe computer with my license? or do I have to depend of the company for the authorization always I want to use it? this a serious issue, please some answer

I couldn't care less about gimmicks such as wavetables, but judging from the list, by far the most interesting and unusual addition in my view is the shimmer reverb. Those are rare enough in dedicated reverb plugins, but in a synth, how cool is that! :)
The new EQ also seems very interesting, no need for using an external one anymore.

Is the demo mode still limited to 1 month? If so I will wait till the holiday season when I know I will have time for such things...

Yes, demo is limited to 1 month.

JunSev wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:15 pm Wait a minute... can someone explain me how the copy protection of dune 3 works?
Who fuckin' cares?

chk071 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:21 pm
JunSev wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:15 pm Wait a minute... can someone explain me how the copy protection of dune 3 works?
Who fuckin' cares?
can someone explain me also

fluffy_little_something wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:18 pm I couldn't care less about gimmicks such as wavetables, but judging from the list, by far the most interesting and unusual addition in my view is the shimmer reverb. Those are rare enough in dedicated reverb plugins, but in a synth, how cool is that! :)
The new EQ also seems very interesting, no need for using an external one anymore.

Is the demo mode still limited to 1 month? If so I will wait till the holiday season when I know I will have time for such things...
The shimmer reverb algos (room and hall here) are indeed a very nice addition and using f.e. sync as predelay offer really some beautiful things.
I wouldn´t call wavetable a gimmick, especially as you can use them as OSC and/or LFO in Dune 3 (in Dune 2 of course as well).
Last edited by Cinebient on Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SynthRatings wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:11 pm Some quick test results about CPU usage compared to Dune 2:
- There seems to be a slight optimization regarding simple patches
- Effects, although improved, uses the same amount of CPU as before
- Complex sounds use around 50% more CPU than before. This could be due to the second filter.
- Unison/layering uses A LOT (several hundred %) more CPU than before. Something seems wrong here

^^^You are now running 8 freaking engines with generated wavetables and two filters each, probably in "swarm" mode :)

chk071 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:21 pm
Who fuckin' cares?
I’ve counted at least five or six people in this thread alone. Any customer who wants to protect themselves should.
You are currently reading my signature.

If the copy protection is more than a simple serial key, then i don't wont it. I like to be able to back my stuff up and be able to use my software forever/installing offline.
~Pyrotek45

Ok so i installed the demo, its already with 30 day limit and not only that, but it also has no patch saving, no autmation, total recall is disabled.

Whats the point of limiting to 30 days if you are limited same way other demos without time limit cripple you already, i dont understand, its like severing hands to a handicap who cant walk already, just because. Why. (and you cant even check all the patches because demo only installs limited number of them) :dog:

Cinebient wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:26 pm
fluffy_little_something wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:18 pm I couldn't care less about gimmicks such as wavetables, but judging from the list, by far the most interesting and unusual addition in my view is the shimmer reverb. Those are rare enough in dedicated reverb plugins, but in a synth, how cool is that! :)

The shimmer reverb algos (room and hall here) are indeed a very nice addition and using f.e. sync as predelay offer really some beautiful things.
I wouldn´t call wavetable a gimmick, especially as you can use them as OSC and/or LFO in Dune 3 (in Dune 2 of course as well).
How does it compare to Valhalla's dedicated shimmer plugin?

Well, I have no use for wavetables, swarms and such fancy things :roll:
As long as it has two VA oscillators and sounds good, I am fine :hihi:
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pyrotek45 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:44 pm If the copy protection is more than a simple serial key, then i don't wont it. I like to be able to back my stuff up and be able to use my software forever/installing offline.
You have a serial key that is independant of your hardware (and should always stay the same) but during the install when you are asked to enter your serial after that it does a short online verification of the serial if you are connencted to the internet. This is really simple and not more difficult than just having to enter a serial.

AFAIK there is an offline method but i have ot used that yet.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Pyrotek45 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:44 pm If the copy protection is more than a simple serial key, then i don't wont it. I like to be able to back my stuff up and be able to use my software forever/installing offline.
But that is probably the way that invites pirates. Or people simply pass on their keys. So I assume there needs to be some sort of online check...

That probably rules out the vast majority of music software....all the software you use must have unlimited licences, I can only think of a handful of companies that do this.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

fluffy_little_something wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:56 pm
But that is probably the way that invites pirates. Or people simply pass on their keys. So I assume there needs to be some sort of online check...
Plenty of other thriving devs use simple serial or license key without online checks.
You are currently reading my signature.

Return to “Instruments”