DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

its a one time only check/registration when you first install/run the plugin

the plugin does not need to be online after that, just once, thats all.

fluffy_little_something wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:54 pm
How does it compare to Valhalla's dedicated shimmer plugin?
As you would expect, its not as flexible and in my opinion shimmer sounds better. It was one of the first things I tried- patch with internal shimmer then same patch with Valhalla in the 'rack'.

Personally I tend to turn off VSTi effects and use my dedicated ones (soundtoys, eventide or whatever) as for almost all VSTs (with the possible exception of Falcon) the external VST FX sound better and have more parameters to control.

Still a good freebee to have if you were a new buyer of Dune 3, not soi much if you are upgrading as the upgrade cost doesn't justify it alone (or collectively with the other upgrades IMHO, but then Dune 2 was pretty good as it was!)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

AnX wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:02 pm its a one time only check/registration when you first install/run the plugin

Is it taking a snapshot of your PC configuration or key file when you register?

If it is you may need to register again if you change hardware or OS changes happen.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

AnX wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:02 pm its a one time only check/registration when you first install/run the plugin

Missing the point as mentioned previously.
SLiC wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:06 pm

Is it taking a snapshot of your PC configuration or key file when you register?

If it is you may need to register again if you change hardware or OS changes happen.
Correct. If you update the computer hardware or get a new computer, you need to phone home again for dev approval to run the software.
Last edited by djanthonyw on Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You are currently reading my signature.

chk071 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:21 pm
JunSev wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:15 pm Wait a minute... can someone explain me how the copy protection of dune 3 works?
Who fuckin' cares?
What a meaningful way to respond to people, ironically from someone that just support copy protection that depends entirely on companies like Ilok/Pace and similars every time possible, and removing the user possibilities to back up their licenses/key independently of companies.

I think that if the entire population were slaves, maybe you will support that too...
Last edited by JunSev on Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thank goodness I didn't become a software plugin developer.
rsp
sound sculptist

Pyrotek45 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:59 pm
Teksonik wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:47 pm
Pyrotek45 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:19 pm And im still very curious as to what will happen wuth dune 1. If he chooses not to sell it then its fair game to pirate imho.
So every time a developer releases a new version of their plugin they should give the old versions away for free ? That is quite possibly the stupidest thing I've ever seen at KVR and that is saying a lot. :roll:
You dont read do you? I think he should keep selling it! Buuuut if he decides to not sell it anymore why not give it away if he doesnt plan on making money from it?
Oh yea I did read especially the part about "its fair game to pirate imho". :roll:

Look, obviously Synapse has their reason for pulling D1 and 2. Since neither of us has access to the company books we have no idea if that was a good decision or not. I trust Rich enough to think that yes it was a good business decision to pull them.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Cinebient wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:26 pm
fluffy_little_something wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:18 pm I couldn't care less about gimmicks such as wavetables, but judging from the list, by far the most interesting and unusual addition in my view is the shimmer reverb. Those are rare enough in dedicated reverb plugins, but in a synth, how cool is that! :)
The new EQ also seems very interesting, no need for using an external one anymore.

Is the demo mode still limited to 1 month? If so I will wait till the holiday season when I know I will have time for such things...
The shimmer reverb algos (room and hall here) are indeed a very nice addition and using f.e. sync as predelay offer really some beautiful things.
I wouldn´t call wavetable a gimmick, especially as you can use them as OSC and/or LFO in Dune 3 (in Dune 2 of course as well).

Well, I have no use for wavetables, swarms and such fancy things :roll:
As long as it has two VA oscillators and sounds good, I am fine :hihi:
For 2 VA OSC only i would use other synths then which are better here.

JunSev wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:06 pm
chk071 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:21 pm
JunSev wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:15 pm Wait a minute... can someone explain me how the copy protection of dune 3 works?
Who fuckin' cares?
What a meaningful way to respond to people, ironically from someone that just support copy protection that depends entirely on companies like Ilok/Pace and similars every time possible, and removing the user possibilities to back up their licenses/key independently of companies.

I think that if the entire population were slaves, maybe you will support that too...
Exactly. Just imagine if someone has software that all uses challenge / response copy protection, and they've passed the limit of reinstalls on new systems allowed. They then have to write an email to every single company that they have a software license with begging for authorization resets just so they can continue to use the software that they paid for. I'm all set with this and will just stick to my Dune 2 license that I can install again freely. It's also the reason why I never purchased The Legend.
Last edited by djanthonyw on Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

This Christmas Richard gave us his heart (Dune 3) and the very next day we threw it away, but next Christmas he will give it to someone special (gearslutz)

Ungrateful swines

I would also stop offering old versions, which naturally need to be cheaper. And since some people don't need the latest greatest version, the developer might cash in less.

Are v1 and v2 still maintained, though? Like when MS or Apple change something about their operating systems that causes problems with existing builds?

djanthonyw wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:12 pm Exactly. Just imagine if someone has software that all uses challenge / response copy protection, and they've passed the limit of reinstalls on new systems allowed. They then have to write an email to every single company that they have a software license with begging just so they can continue to use the software that they paid for.
Imagine if you had to pay $50 extra to buy a Dongle so you could use Dune 3 ?

I found this in a thread about Legend. I'm sure Dune 3 uses the same system:

"The Legend uses a one-time activation when started for the first time. This happens via an external app* and is easiest done online (single click). This will activate the license in the service area. The reason is to prevent abuse, i.e. many people using the same serial. Note that the plugin itself never connects to the internet, so huge projects with many instances work just like with all our previous plugins".

* External in that it is outside of the Dune.dll in the Dune folder called "activation.exe"

Like I said I'm a big anti-copy protection guy too but to be honest I think you're freaking out about nothing. I don't fear losing my Dune 3 license in the least bit and it was one of the easiest authorization methods I've ever used. Far easier than plugging in a USB Dongle..... :wink:
Last edited by Teksonik on Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

SLiC wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:03 pm
As you would expect, its not as flexible and in my opinion shimmer sounds better. It was one of the first things I tried- patch with internal shimmer then same patch with Valhalla in the 'rack'.

Personally I tend to turn off VSTi effects and use my dedicated ones (soundtoys, eventide or whatever) as for almost all VSTs (with the possible exception of Falcon) the external VST FX sound better and have more parameters to control.

Still a good freebee to have if you were a new buyer of Dune 3, not soi much if you are upgrading as the upgrade cost doesn't justify it alone (or collectively with the other upgrades IMHO, but then Dune 2 was pretty good as it was!)
Thanks. I see, so it is probably more at the level of the shimmer mode in Toneboosters' 4 reverb...
What I like about a built-in one is that one can save its settings along with a specific patch whose charm might depend on it, also useful for sound designers selling sound sets to people who might not have a shimmer reverb.

As long as Synapse don't go out of business (which is very unlikely), I would not worry about copy protection.

Teksonik wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:22 pm
djanthonyw wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:12 pm Exactly. Just imagine if someone has software that all uses challenge / response copy protection, and they've passed the limit of reinstalls on new systems allowed. They then have to write an email to every single company that they have a software license with begging just so they can continue to use the software that they paid for.
Imagine if you had to pay $50 extra to buy a Dongle so you could use Dune 3 ?

I found this in a thread about Legend. I'm sure Dune 3 uses the same system:

"The Legend uses a one-time activation when started for the first time. This happens via an external app and is easiest done online (single click). This will activate the license in the service area. The reason is to prevent abuse, i.e. many people using the same serial. Note that the plugin itself never connects to the internet, so huge projects with many instances work just like with all our previous plugins".

Like I said I'm a big anti-copy protection guy too but to be honest I think you're freaking out about nothing. I don't fear losing my Dune 3 license in the least bit and it was one of the easiest authorization methods I've ever used. Far easier than plugging in a USB Dongle..... :wink:
It doesn't matter if "the plugin itself never connects to the internet". The plugin itself and its use depends on the license app to get the authorization to run which is essentially the same thing.

I don't care if you or anyone thinks I'm being paranoid. The point is that I want the freedom to backup my licenses and install the software I pay for on my computer or future computers without having to beg for authorization resets. That gets really messy when you're running plugins from multiple companies and you need to install on new computers when you're passed your authorization limit.

Return to “Instruments”