DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
EnGee
KVRAF
5731 posts since 7 Oct, 2005 from NZ

Post Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:02 am

recursive one wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:02 am
Virus TI is multitimbral (4 or 16 parts depending on the model) and each part has global unison. They aren't mixed up like in Dune
If I want to buy a hardware synth, it would be between a Virus and Yamaha Modx!
Yes, clean/mellow/soft is what it does best, but it can do some really cool acids too.
Yes. It also can do very nice pads and also it has great brass sound. So, for 80's sounds it is perfect. Anyway, no one synth can fill everything. Sugar Bytes Factory can be a good companion to D3 (It has grittier and punchier sound than Dune 3).

Regardsing layers in Dune3, they aren't hard to understand but the useability is not the best imo. It happended more than once when I thought I was editing one of the layers but it was actually the global page, or vise versa. SOme sort of colour coding would help. It also cold have at least a basic mixer (volume/pan) for the layers.
I think one layer is enough for me! It has a great unison anyway and I don't want just one thick sound that so big dominating the whole spectrum!
In fact I rarely use that "differential unison" thing in Dune for layering. I use it mostly as global unison and when I need a layer with different settings I just add another isntance in my DAW. Furthermore, I when I layer things I actually prefer using different synths for different layers.
I like also to make every sound in its own track. It is easier to mange this way (effects and mixing later).
Let's donate to help the kids and save our planet.

e-crooner
KVRian
500 posts since 22 Aug, 2019

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:23 am

AnX wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:07 pm
e-crooner wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:33 pm
AnX wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:44 am
RTFM
No thanks, a synth needs to be intuitive enough to understand without using a manual :wink:
dont use it then and stop moaning if you're too stupid to work out something so simple

go and polute another thread
Ignoring your antisocial tone, it is not intuitive at all. Since they use the wrong term (voice rather than layer) on the GUI, it has nothing to do with stupidity when one doesn't get that GUI.

fisherKing
KVRAF
2025 posts since 6 Aug, 2009

Post Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:32 am

e-crooner wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:23 am
AnX wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:07 pm
e-crooner wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:33 pm
AnX wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:44 am
RTFM
No thanks, a synth needs to be intuitive enough to understand without using a manual :wink:
dont use it then and stop moaning if you're too stupid to work out something so simple

go and polute another thread
Ignoring your antisocial tone, it is not intuitive at all. Since they use the wrong term (voice rather than layer) on the GUI, it has nothing to do with stupidity when one doesn't get that GUI.
how is this complicated? i find dune a pleasure to work with, and if 'voice' is the term they're using, it takes a second to get used to that.

ppl (am not exluding my own sometime behavior), love to nitpick, argue, and rant on this forum; good that there are saner ppl here too, tho...
always one plugin short of perfection...

e-crooner
KVRian

Post Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:37 am

It's not complicated once one knows how it works. But one has to get there first.

Hink
Rad Grandad
29741 posts since 6 Sep, 2003 from Downeast Maine

Post Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:40 am

e-crooner wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:37 am
It's not complicated once one knows how it works. But one has to get there first.
I'm sorry, do you really expect different anywhere you go in life? I mean isn't what you just described also called growth?
Albert Einstein may have been a genius but his brother Frank was a monster

AnX
KVRAF
5745 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:49 am

e-crooner wrote:
takes a second :roll:

it's one of the easiest synths around.

do you know how everything works instantly?

refusing to read a manual when need and moaning about trivialities.... sounds like someone who thinks they know it all but doesn't, and is not willing to learn :roll:

e-crooner
KVRian

Post Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:22 am

Hink wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:40 am
e-crooner wrote:
I'm sorry, do you really expect different anywhere you go in life? I mean isn't what you just described also called growth?
I don't understand your first question.
The use of inappropriate terminology doesn't make me grow, no.

e-crooner
KVRian

Post Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:25 am

AnX wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:49 am
e-crooner wrote:
takes a second :roll:

it's one of the easiest synths around.

do you know how everything works instantly?

refusing to read a manual when need and moaning about trivialities.... sounds like someone who thinks they know it all but doesn't, and is not willing to learn :roll:
With every other synth I have used so far, indeed, no need to check manuals.
Nor am I moaning, just pointing out...
I would not waste the word 'learn' on something like Dune 3. It's merely about understanding, ideally in an intuitive way.

e-crooner
KVRian

Post Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:31 am

DJ Warmonger wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:43 pm
I would say that' standard for any modern production, not only EDM. Layering vocals has been a commonplace for decades now.
With vocals I can understand because the human voice is like a one-oscillator synth, i.e. rather thin, especially when it needs to fight exaggerated instruments all around it.

Hink
Rad Grandad

Post Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:50 am

e-crooner wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:22 am
Hink wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:40 am
e-crooner wrote:
I don't understand your first question.
The use of inappropriate terminology doesn't make me grow, no.
when I was young and got my first guitar at 12 years old (1971) I was looking at amps for my first amp (guitar amp, me and my dad rebuilt an old tube ham radio amp which was my first amp)...I recall that same feeling when I went into the big store in Boston (E.U. Wurlitzer) and checked out expensive amps. I was so confused at first, the ones I saw then didn't even have a master volume, the thing was I didnt see anything called volume but gain did the same thing...I thought why did they do that, call it something it isn't (I wont even go into my original questions about presence :hihi: ) but I then understood so all was well.

I fail to see your beef...voices vs layers? Now that you know the two are synonymous why just move on?

e-crooner
KVRian

Post Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:04 am

Huh?! I have moved on, but, being a polite person, of course I reply to all posts directed at me. So I have to come back to it, unfortunately.

Regarding gain vs volume, I don't think gain has any other, established meaning in music equipment the way voice does. Makes me wonder, what is the polyphony of Dune 3, i.e. the number of notes one can play simultaneously? Probably not 8 as in 8 "voices".

Hink
Rad Grandad

Post Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:11 am

the point is obvious, in this world we have a lot of terms that people use...also sub groups tend to use their own jargon/vernacular...it's not wrong, it's different and if you have a problem with that it's a you problem and not necessarily a problem with the product or company :shrug:

AnX
KVRAF
5745 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:15 am

e-crooner wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:04 am
Makes me wonder, what is the polyphony of Dune 3, i.e. the number of notes one can play simultaneously? Probably not 8 as in 8 "voices".
you can set the polyphony yourself... funnily enough, it's on the GUI marked "polyphony"

e-crooner
KVRian

Post Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:17 am

AnX wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:15 am
e-crooner wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:04 am
Makes me wonder, what is the polyphony of Dune 3, i.e. the number of notes one can play simultaneously? Probably not 8 as in 8 "voices".
you can set the polyphony yourself... funnily enough, it's on the GUI marked "polyphony"
'Yes, found it right before my computer crashed :)
16 voice-polyphony...

e-crooner
KVRian

Post Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:21 am

Hink wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:11 am
the point is obvious, in this world we have a lot of terms that people use...also sub groups tend to use their own jargon/vernacular...it's not wrong, it's different and if you have a problem with that it's a you problem and not necessarily a problem with the product or company :shrug:
I guess my job doesn't help. It is all about technical terminology, so my brain is very much into consistency, accuracy, unambiguousness, etc.

Return to “Instruments”