DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Teksonik
KVRAF
13104 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:54 pm

There's a big difference between a skin and a major redesign of the user interface. As mentioned some things can't be moved but I bet someone like satYatunes would know. He's done some very nice skins for Dune 2 (although I'm not sure why not Dune 3 yet) so he would probably know what is possible and what can't be done with D3 skinning.

Can't hurt to ask, he does Custom GUIs. :shrug:

http://www.satyatunes.com/web/themesskins.php

http://www.satyatunes.com/web/custom-gui.php
Last edited by Teksonik on Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

EnGee
KVRAF
5947 posts since 7 Oct, 2005

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:26 pm

I actually already bought a skin for Dune 2 from him, although I didn't use it a lot because in general I like to use the default skins for synths and DAWs.

Yes, I guess a skin can't change the interface design. Thanks for the links. I might ask him.

Anyway, I just remembered that in Maschine It's nice to use Dune 3 because presets browsing is fantastic, so no big deal really ;)

v1o
KVRAF
2121 posts since 2 Oct, 2004

Post Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:38 pm

fisherKing wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:08 am
dune 3.
By Westwood Studios
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Calisto97
KVRer
12 posts since 22 Oct, 2019

Post Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:54 am

Really love this synth. Patches sound instantly thick and full. Do you guys think this could replace a Access Virus Ti2? Still thinking of getting one in the near future, but don't know for sure

Teksonik
KVRAF
13104 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:59 am

The questions are....Can an Access Virus Ti2 replace Dune 3 ? Does the Ti2 module give you $2000 worth of sounds over Dune 3 ? Only you can answer those questions.

They're both great synths. Whether you need both or either one is a personal decision. Try to find a Ti2 and give it a good demo. You'll know then if it's worth the expense to you...... :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

recursive one
KVRAF
4612 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Post Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:08 pm

Calisto97 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:54 am
Do you guys think this could replace a Access Virus Ti2?
I think no. Very different sound (I own and use both). Dune doesn't do formant and grain oscillators which are very important part of Virus, at least for me. Overall Dune sounds much cleaner and somewhat thinner, less characterful. Not saying any of them is better or worse, just different characters.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Calisto97
KVRer

Post Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:12 pm

[/quote]

I think no. Very different sound (I own and use both). Dune doesn't do formant and grain oscillators which are very important part of Virus, at least for me. Overall Dune sounds much cleaner and somewhat thinner, less characterful. Not saying any of them is better or worse, just different characters.
[/quote]

Thanks for your reply! Will test one in the future, to see for myself

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
7879 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:33 pm

Finally tried the demo. Beautiful sound. Almost too powerful! ;)

Two things would make me buy it:
-MPE
-Multi-touch support
System: Windows 10, Dell XPS 2-in-1, Bitwig 3, Steinberg UR44.

4damind
KVRAF
5006 posts since 17 Aug, 2004 from Berlin, Germany

Post Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:39 pm

Calisto97 wrote:
Really love this synth. Patches sound instantly thick and full. Do you guys think this could replace a Access Virus Ti2? Still thinking of getting one in the near future, but don't know for sure
I rather think that Dune3 is the benchmark and not the outdated Virus TI. The Virus does not have the possibilities that Dune 3 has. The DSP performance is not powerful enough for such high Unison or layering of different sounds.

I had just seen a Cubase project by Steve Helstrip ("The Thrillseekers"). There you find Dune, Omnisphere and so on. He still has a Nord Lead that he uses from time to time and I think he is not an exception...
To 95% it is only plugins and Dune 2/3 is surely one of the synths you must have today.

Calisto97
KVRer

Post Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:51 pm

Some great insights over here. Funny to see that software (seems) to catch up with hardware the past years. Recently bought Legend aswell. Insane how powerful and thick that synth sounds aswell. I use Dune for the leads and Legend for the basslines. I think we can all agree that Synapse is doing great work.

4damind
KVRAF
5006 posts since 17 Aug, 2004 from Berlin, Germany

Post Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:24 pm

I wouldn't think about a Virus TI in 2020. Even the founder of the Virus Christoph Kemper seems to have no more interest in the Virus and develops amp emulations ;)

We have so much great plugins these days that it's more important to find out what you need for your own musical style and what you don't need. There are a handful of plugins that can be called a "safe bank". The stuff from Synapse or U-He is certainly one of them...

dasen
KVRist
146 posts since 15 May, 2012

Post Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:05 pm

Sill like the workflow from Dune 1 more:)

Muziksculp
KVRAF
1522 posts since 23 Sep, 2005

Post Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:15 pm

I still love using my Virus Ti2 Desktop, which I use without the Ti features, since it seems to make my DAW unstable when connecting it via USB, I tweak it via the knobs , and buttons on the front panel. I have it connected via MIDI and Audio Cables to my Audio Interface, it sounds wonderful.

I also love DUNE 3, and DUNE 2. imho. the best sounding VST Synth I have used. The Virus and DUNE work and complement each other very well. I won't get rid of the Virus.
Last edited by Muziksculp on Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chk071
KVRAF
23238 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:18 pm

4damind wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:39 pm
Calisto97 wrote:
I rather think that Dune3 is the benchmark and not the outdated Virus TI. The Virus does not have the possibilities that Dune 3 has. The DSP performance is not powerful enough for such high Unison or layering of different sounds.

I had just seen a Cubase project by Steve Helstrip ("The Thrillseekers"). There you find Dune, Omnisphere and so on. He still has a Nord Lead that he uses from time to time and I think he is not an exception...
To 95% it is only plugins and Dune 2/3 is surely one of the synths you must have today.
To be fair, I think, for most, it will rather be the comfort of working in the box which prevents them from using hardware. It would be a PITA for me too, no matter how much I lust after it.

fisherKing
KVRAF
2136 posts since 6 Aug, 2009

Post Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:38 pm

dasen wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:05 pm
Sill like the workflow from Dune 1 more:)
huh. why is that? dune3 seems such a giant step forward, and the sound is so good. isn't the sound the most important thing? but anyway, wondering what makes dune1 work best for you....
https://upstatebrooklyn.com
always one plugin short of perfection...

Return to “Instruments”