DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Ok I'm going to actually go use DUNE 3 instead of talking about it. You boys are invited to join me.

But seriously if you have feature requests you are much better off making them at the Synapse company forum. Just keep in mind that making your requests in a logical, calm, and non-insulting manner will be in your best interest and that goes for any developer.

Rich and Marcin are really nice guys and not unreasonable at all. If you can make your case to them who knows maybe they'll add your features as time permits.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

We are working on a better patch browser. Drag+Drop will likely come for DUNE 3 as well. Since we had to develop D+D for a different project, we can transfer that functionality to DUNE 3. Personally I agree with Teksonik and have not much need for either (e.g. I prefer using NKS over any native patch browser), however it is true both D+D and a better browser have been requested many times, more often than anything else ;)

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Teksonik wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:32 pmI hope everybody gets their requests granted eventually...
Really? I hope its called done and they move on to something else

You either like it or you dont

If all the other stuff mentioned is so much better, use that then, save yourself some money :tu:

Teksonik wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:49 pm Anyway to contribute something positive to this thread I've done some color edits for the DUNE 3 large skin. The dark center screen is thanks to Synapse forum member Matt Leschuck and of course all credit goes to the creator of the original skin Mikael Eidenberg.

I've only done the Large version so far and I won't post links unless there is interest. Otherwise no sense bothering.

D3 080121-1.png

D3 Blue 1.png

D3 Blue 2.png

D3 Blue 3.png
I like the black-orange one, I like it when all "values" are set apart from labels etc. by a different color.

Richard_Synapse wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:04 pm We are working on a better patch browser. Drag+Drop will likely come for DUNE 3 as well. Since we had to develop D+D for a different project, we can transfer that functionality to DUNE 3. Personally I agree with Teksonik and have not much need for either (e.g. I prefer using NKS over any native patch browser), however it is true both D+D and a better browser have been requested many times, more often than anything else ;)

Richard
Thank you.
Really looking forward to the patch browser.
rsp
sound sculptist

Richard_Synapse wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:04 pm We are working on a better patch browser. Drag+Drop will likely come for DUNE 3 as well. Since we had to develop D+D for a different project, we can transfer that functionality to DUNE 3.

Richard
Do you have an approximate release date for when these things will be available ?

One of the key things that's irksome in using Dune 3 is that you also lose the page which displays the patch name. I think it should always be available to see and select regardless of what screen you are on. I don't know how you will be integrating a patch browser but if the patch name could be scrolled through and clicked on to bring up the browser itself, it would help a lot in usability of the synth.

I've illustrated this on all the screens with the removal of the Unison Engine text in the mock up, to show how it would look.

KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

pdxindy wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:57 amEvery other synth I use is far better for modulation.
In my experience, it's really hard to get Rich engaged in these kinds of issues. He's a DSP guy, not a GUI guy, so my estimation is that you have Buckley's chance of getting any of these things done. Lately a lot of devs have made great strides in this area and it makes working with complex synths so much easier. I think Pigments is probably the gold standard, using colour to maximum effect to make it easy to see what's going on. HY-POLY is also at that level. Even the comparatively simple implementations, like NI's TRK-01 Bass, make life so much easier but it's still not really that common and until it is, I can't see DUNE getting any of those kinds of features. But I could be wrong, maybe Marcin is toiling away in secret on just this kind of thing?
pdxindy wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:02 pmThat is a ridiculous example... you are dragging from the mod matrix... no need to do that. Drag from the modulator.
This is an excellent example of why I think D'n'D is shit. It's unintuitive and undiscoverable. You have to know that it's there and you have to learn how it works. Right-click assign makes way more sense (to Windows users, who are the only ones that matter). Of course, because it is so unintuitive and undiscoverable, D'n'D is almost never the only way of doing anything so It's easily ignored.

Interestingly, I think I have replaced every instance of DUNE we used on our last album with other things for our live set. Because the process of shifting things across from Orion and Cubase to Studio One means losing all the sounds, it has just felt easier to use something else wherever we had been using DUNE. A couple of years ago I felt that DUNE's sound was sufficiently better than everything else that it was worth using but I don't think that any more. It's possibly a year or more since I used it at all. It just feels irrelevant to me these days.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:41 am One of the key things that's irksome in using Dune 3 is that you also lose the page which displays the patch name. I think it should always be available to see and select regardless of what screen you are on.
Why do you need to see the patch name?

AnX wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:20 am Why do you need to see the patch name?
For the same reasons I gave, the last time you asked me that same question.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Remind me

THE INTRANCER wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:41 am Do you have an approximate release date for when these things will be available ?
Not yet. The drag+drop part is rather easy, so it largely depends on how long the patch browser takes, and that is difficult to forecast. Of course we can split this stuff into several updates if necessary, but generally it is more efficient for us to bundle new features into one larger update. Even more so with the raft of versions we need to maintain these days (VST2/VST3/AAX/AU, Win, Mac-Intel, Mac-M1, etc).

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Richard_Synapse wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:04 pm We are working on a better patch browser. Drag+Drop will likely come for DUNE 3 as well. Since we had to develop D+D for a different project, we can transfer that functionality to DUNE 3. Personally I agree with Teksonik and have not much need for either (e.g. I prefer using NKS over any native patch browser), however it is true both D+D and a better browser have been requested many times, more often than anything else ;)

Richard
Would love to see a rating system for patches.

I've got all the soundbanks, and I've done the simple workaround of creating separate folders for each sound type (pad, bass, etc.), and then dumping copies of ALL the individual patch types into those folders and then deleting ones I don't much care for. So the folders end up being like a "Favorites" folder for each sound type.

I think ultimately that's what a patch browser should do: Reduce the search down to the type of sound, and whether or not the user likes them.

Obviously that can be varied. Type of sound could mean a number of different things, from simple categories to more descriptive tags, and ratings could be a simple like/dislike or a full fledged 1-5 star rating system.

Either way, being able to quickly and easily target what you're looking for goes along ways.

My 2 cents. :phones:
Yo Leroy!

I had a challenge:
A B3 and its 9 sliders + separate bass on part of the keyboard + Percussion.
Only Dune allowed it to me.
Improvements that seem necessary to me:
1) You make a whole bunch of mods on a patch,
Then on the main window you switch to main,
you touch the mouse wheel.
All your mods are lost! you have changed the patch without any message to offer to save.
Ditto if you change the sound on your midi keyboard.
2) A Mixer tab in the area, Keyboard, FxBus1, Fxbus2 ....
allowing access to a configurable mixer on the channels / oscillators used with the possibility of editing a descriptive text.

Richard_Synapse wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:04 pm I prefer using NKS over any native patch browser...

Drag and drop and a better browser have been requested many times, more often than anything else ;)

Richard
Thanks for the heads up Richard...

While you are digging around inside the guts of DUNE 3, do you think that you could tweak the polyphony and give us a minimum of 24 voices per layer ?

Some of the patches would benefit from an increase in available voices for sure...

NKS...That's an NI product tied to the "Future of Sound" isn't it ?

An attempt by NI to have Kontrol over many elements of the music making process so that they can sell more proprietary products ?

Mmm .....some of us are not into that shxt because we remember the false promises made with Kore :wink:
No auto tune...

Richard
That is excellent news and I am thrilled that D+D is a much requested feature, just as I thought! :lol: That, along with an enhanced preset browser will really add some user-friendly functionality to Dune 3 - which is already a brilliant synth! :tu:

You mention that D+D will be easy to implement (LOL), that's great news! Please release that as an update while you work on the preset browser. :wink:

So glad to see Dune getting continued improvements and update. Nice one Richard!

Return to “Instruments”